Coral Vue Hydros

Petco Coral, please READ!

Derekcaudill

Derekcaudill

So I was at Petco last night getting food for my dog and decided I would swing by the saltwater section. I really dont like buying fish, etc. there but I still ike to swing by to see what they have. First off they price their live rock at "Medium" and "Large" live rock. The medium is $18.99. Kinda high huh? Anyways I saw a nice piece of live rock and it had a few zoas on it, about 8 that I was able to count right off, but they were only partially opened. They had the rock labeled as Green star polyps and was wanting $44.99 for it. I asked due to the conditions of the zoas what the price was and the employee there told me it had only been there for a few days. He also claimed it appeared to be duying from what he thought. So long story short he sold it to me for the price of a medium rock at 18 bucks. I got it home and cleaned a lot of sand off it, and under the sand, the side they had laying down, were 100+ heads!!!!!! Jackpot!!!! During acclimation unfortunately I noticed some bristle worms, so I did a fresh water dip, and really gave it a good inspection after picking all the worms out and put it in the tank last night at around 9:30pm. The lights go out at 10:30pm and within that hour 20+ zoas already popped out. Multiple colors, I have seen at least three totally different color zoas thus far!! So here is my question, is there anything I can do to ensure the health of my zoas, and make sure they make a good recovery? So far so good I think, but I could surely use advice! Pics up soon!!! I am so excited to get home and check it out today!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Carlton'sTank

When getting coral, I always suggest you dip in something such as coral revive. You always want to have good conditions in your tank. When I notice that a frag or colony is not doing great upon purchase I will place it in higher flow too.

There was no need to pull out the bristleworms, they are actually a good part of a cuc, so you threw away a bunch of critters that will help you out.

Derekcaudill
Any coral I've ever bought at petco has died within a week. It would be amazing if yours lived.

Yeah I am not going to be really upset if it does, though if it makes it through I really came out good on this one. Either way thanks for the inspration there Donny Downer!!!!! :happy:

why kill th ebristle worms? they are some of the most benificial creatures in your aquarium.

I would do a fresh water dip with iodine as well if you did not put any lugol.

So I was at Petco last night getting food for my dog and decided I would swing by the saltwater section. I really dont like buying fish, etc. there but I still ike to swing by to see what they have. First off they price their live rock at "Medium" and "Large" live rock. The medium is $18.99. Kinda high huh? Anyways I saw a nice piece of live rock and it had a few zoas on it, about 8 that I was able to count right off, but they were only partially opened. They had the rock labeled as Green star polyps and was wanting $44.99 for it. I asked due to the conditions of the zoas what the price was and the employee there told me it had only been there for a few days. He also claimed it appeared to be duying from what he thought. So long story short he sold it to me for the price of a medium rock at 18 bucks. I got it home and cleaned a lot of sand off it, and under the sand, the side they had laying down, were 100+ heads!!!!!! Jackpot!!!! During acclimation unfortunately I noticed some bristle worms, so I did a fresh water dip, and really gave it a good inspection after picking all the worms out and put it in the tank last night at around 9:30pm. The lights go out at 10:30pm and within that hour 20+ zoas already popped out. Multiple colors, I have seen at least three totally different color zoas thus far!! So here is my question, is there anything I can do to ensure the health of my zoas, and make sure they make a good recovery? So far so good I think, but I could surely use advice! Pics up soon!!! I am so excited to get home and check it out today!!
nanoreef-R
Yeah I am not going to be really upset if it does, though if it makes it through I really came out good on this one. Either way thanks for the inspration there Donny Downer!!!!! :happy:

:flower:

Derekcaudill
When getting coral, I always suggest you dip in something such as coral revive. You always want to have good conditions in your tank. When I notice that a frag or colony is not doing great upon purchase I will place it in higher flow too.

There was no need to pull out the bristleworms, they are actually a good part of a cuc, so you threw away a bunch of critters that will help you out.

Yup I did a dip with revive, and water conditions are great, but thanks for the flow tip. Will try that. Right now they are in a somewhat medium flow area. As far as the bristle worms go i just hate em, I know a lot of people like them but they just creep me out a little. Blah!!!! Thanks for the input though.

i've never tried it before, but isn't revive only for stony corals? i could be making that up.

agreed on the bristleworms -- why get rid of them?

I would do a fresh water dip with iodine as well if you did not put any lugol.

do you mean fresh seawater?

Hmm.. since you are in fort myers.. and you hate bristleworms.. that rock is probably full of them.. you can give it to me :).

Nah, seriously though if they're anything to speak of we can do some fragging.. I've got bunches of zoas.. and in fort myers.

and which petco was this? I see dealz... :bling:

Derekcaudill
i've never tried it before, but isn't revive only for stony corals? i could be making that up.

agreed on the bristleworms -- why get rid of them?

do you mean fresh seawater?

Ah, again, I just like them much. I have a great CUC and will rely on that but just dont like them much. Just personal preference thats all. I have heard a few horror stories about bristle worms eating up some corals, truth behind it, I dont know.

Derekcaudill
Hmm.. since you are in fort myers.. and you hate bristleworms.. that rock is probably full of them.. you can give it to me :).

Nah, seriously though if they're anything to speak of we can do some fragging.. I've got bunches of zoas.. and in fort myers.

and which petco was this? I see dealz... :bling:

The new one at the Forum. Again hopefully they turn out good, if not i lost 18 bucks, if so I gained 100+ zoas, for 18 bucks!!!

You might have some that wont' make it, but some will for sure.. unless they gotz the zoa pox.. then ur fuxd..

than all his zoas are fuxd

I've had my battles with the pox.. it's not pretty. I've since said f'it.. the ones that make it, make it.. the ones that don't.. f'it. I'm not buying zoas for a while now just for this reason. Furan 2 didn't do the magical #### like a few websites claim.

you ####in ####s need to stop tradin your god damn zoas that have pox.. ####ers.. :)

Derekcaudill
I've had my battles with the pox.. it's not pretty. I've since said f'it.. the ones that make it, make it.. the ones that don't.. f'it. I'm not buying zoas for a while now just for this reason. Furan 2 didn't do the magical #### like a few websites claim.

you ####in ####s need to stop tradin your god damn zoas that have pox.. ####ers.. :)

Well I am hoping for the best.

Dip them in Coral Rx, make sure your parameters are stable.....good luck

Derekcaudill
Dip them in Coral Rx, make sure your parameters are stable.....good luck

Thanks rubadakis!!!!!!

good steal! the only thing i've had live from petco was... 1 emerald crab. but good luck i i'm sure many of the 100+ have to make it.

meganistkrieg

Before I knew better, I bought my first fish (black and white clown) and invert (tuxedo urchin) from Petco. They must not have been there long as they were (and remain) very healthy, unlike everything I've seen there subsequently which is covered in aiptasia or valonia or ick or is just plain dead. I'm glad I rescued my little dudes when I did - there's been a tuxedo test in their invert tank for going on two months now, and it's alarming to think that the people who work there don't even know enough to realize that it's a dead thing that should be removed.

Sorry for the rant! Just saying that the little dudes I did get there ended up being okay, and I'm glad I saved them. Hope the same is true for your zoa rock. What a steal! :happy:

I've heard dipping zoo's in a saltwater and furan II mixture dip will help with zoos melting. but Ive never done it myself.

Archived