Pod Your Reef

Rescued a clam

sloo50

2010078.jpg

I found this clam at a mutual friends house this weekend. The tank was a mess. It has been neglected for quite a while. Very, very sad to say the least.

I do not believe that I have the lighting to sustain the clam. Until I find a suitable host for her, what do you suggest I do? She's in a biocube14 with standard PC lighting

What type of clam of clam is it?

Thanks

cheryl jordan

Crocea and you need to have better lighting in the long run for that clam, but you did a nice thing none the less.

You may try to place it higher in the rock work depending on what type of lighting it was in before you got it.

2010078.jpg

I found this clam at a mutual friends house this weekend. The tank was a mess. It has been neglected for quite a while. Very, very sad to say the least.

I do not believe that I have the lighting to sustain the clam. Until I find a suitable host for her, what do you suggest I do? She's in a biocube14 with standard PC lighting

What type of clam of clam is it?

Thanks

sorry to say that that clam appears to be bleaching

they very rarely recover from that

sorry again

Bleaching.... Is that caused by a lack of suitable light?

The clam was under very old T5's.

I am still in shock at the condition of the tank she was in.

I tested the water the clam came home in, and the nitrate was above 80ppm. Ouch!

Thank goodness he has given almost everything else away.

Thanks!

cheryl jordan

IMO you should place it higher in the LR where it can not jump off, but is able to fully open at the same time.

Start lower in the tank and move the clam up slowly every couple days.

Try to find someone with better lighting for the clam, PC are just not enough for clams long term.

doesnt look like its bleaching to me but just different pigmentation. would definately recommend putting it higher in the rock work and get some leds or hallides or t5 over it, i love the brown and blue ones

Archived