Top Shelf Aquatics

What's wrong with my clam?

guia x

I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with my French Polynesian maxima clam. It was fully opening its mantle but the past few days it has only been extended partially. It doesn't look like PM but I don't know. Here how it looked before and now.

Before

4536929603_e00dbb0f9b_o.jpg

Now

4562941840_91a4b5a0ec_o.jpg

Anyone have any ideas what is wrong and what I should do? Thanks.

I've never had a clam to really be of much help.

Do you have a fish or shrimp that hangs out near it? Is it in direct flow?

I've never had a clam to really be of much help.

Do you have a fish or shrimp that hangs out near it? Is it in direct flow?

I don't have any shrimps anymore and the the only fish that hangs out near it is my Blue Spotted Jawfish. The clam is the furthest away from the BSJ and the blue teardrop is the one the BSJ leans on most of the time and it is fully extending its mantle. The blue teardrop is quite responsive to the light but this one doesn't move when I put my hand over the light. It does respond when I touch the mantle. I did catch one of my emerald crabs sticking its hand in the clam and it got its claw broken off. I took the claw out but I have noticed that I have two emerald crabs with one claw. Could it be possible the other emerald crab got its claw chopped off and it got inside the clam?

I don't have any shrimps anymore and the the only fish that hangs out near it is my Blue Spotted Jawfish. The clam is the furthest away from the BSJ and the blue teardrop is the one the BSJ leans on most of the time and it is fully extending its mantle. The blue teardrop is quite responsive to the light but this one doesn't move when I put my hand over the light. It does respond when I touch the mantle. I did catch one of my emerald crabs sticking its hand in the clam and it got its claw broken off. I took the claw out but I have noticed that I have two emerald crabs with one claw. Could it be possible the other emerald crab got its claw chopped off and it got inside the clam?

That could be possible. Most clams are filter feeders so it might be angry that something is stuck in it.

Also, jawfish are notorious for stirring up sand and bumping into coral on the tank bottom. Keep an eye on him.

Dipped it last night. Looks alot worse than before. It's gaping and its all shriveled up inside. I may have killed it. :(

Got some RO/DI water, adjusted the temp and pH to match my tank. Dipped it, wiggle him around alittle in the container to get the water everywhere, and then after 15 minutes put him back.

kthehun89
Got some RO/DI water, adjusted the temp and pH to match my tank. Dipped it, wiggle him around alittle in the container to get the water everywhere, and then after 15 minutes put him back.

well then all you can be is patient...

should have just let it be. it actually didn't look bad at all in the after pic. who knows why things like that happen but if everything else in your tank looked good then chances are it was only a temporary condition. dipping or any other possible cures will probably just stress it out more at this point. I have three clams also 6" purple tear drop maximum, 5" gold maximum, 6" derasa. I have had all mine for over 3 years and never had any problems.

should have just let it be. it actually didn't look bad at all in the after pic. who knows why things like that happen but if everything else in your tank looked good then chances are it was only a temporary condition. dipping or any other possible cures will probably just stress it out more at this point. I have three clams also 6" purple tear drop maximum, 5" gold maximum, 6" derasa. I have had all mine for over 3 years and never had any problems.

+1

Mine will do that as well, but in a day or two will look normal again.

I think folks are being too quick with the FW dips, just my 2 cents.

Dipped it last night. Looks alot worse than before. It's gaping and its all shriveled up inside. I may have killed it. :(

sometimes they will do that.....give him a couple of days and just be patient

i had a clam that looked similar to yours and i learned that PM can take on more forms that just the "typical" one we're used to seeing

your clam looks as if it was gaping as well witch is not good

but if it's a larger clam I wouldn't count him out just yet

+1

clams are MORE than fine with FW......I don't know how many times I have to make this point

they can sit in FW for up to 2 hours without an issue

15 minutes isn't going to hurt anything and will not stress out and already stressed clam any more than it already is

read above comment.......

I hoping it survives but it looks pretty bad. The clam is open but the inside is all shriveled up and the siphon is wide open. Man and they say the small ones are hard to keep. So far two 5" and 6" teardrops gone. Now this one is on life support. Yet all my little ones are doing great. :rolleyes:

I hoping it survives but it looks pretty bad. The clam is open but the inside is all shriveled up and the siphon is wide open. Man and they say the small ones are hard to keep. So far two 5" and 6" teardrops gone. Now this one is on life support. Yet all my little ones are doing great. :rolleyes:

well than you live in bizzaro world my man!!!

what ur water chem in the tanks where the teardrops died if you don't mind??

well than you live in bizzaro world my man!!!

what ur water chem in the tanks where the teardrops died if you don't mind??

Well the Frech Poly is a goner. What's the best way to keep the shell for future use?

As for my params:

Ca = 440ppm

Alk = 8 dkh

Mag = 1440

Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phos = 0

Sg = 1.026

Temp = 78

pH = 8.1-8.3

The teardrops was from DD and last time I called to report a lost they wanted the shell because they said there were too many of them dying. I don't know how true that is or it's just that I called too many times about my teardrops dying. I really hope that is wasn't PM and that the rest of my clams are at risk. As hard as it was to see the French Poly go, I would be devastated if the blue teardrop, or any more, dies too. Now is just hoping and praying everything will be okay.

Jungle_John
+1

agree. not to disagree but personally being a larger clam you need to know how long it was in captivity. most time these larger clams that are taken from the wild come from 25Ft of water were light isnt super strong. when they get to local shops they go under tank that have old bulbs and they can adjust ok to this. however then they come home to the aquarium owner they go under newer stronger bulbs, becoming light shocked.

with this clam were talking about it did not look like PM in my opinion. it looks more light shocked. when i get my larger (5+ inch clams in) i put them under really low par light to get them adjusted. my smaller clams go under very hight par light. then you have to adjust them down. these large clams have a very hard time adjusting to strong light because of the years they had lower light levels.

personally i would of let him be or moved him lower in the tank. just my 2cents

Thanks for the help. I just wish everyone would have came in here and told me that before I dipped it. Oh well too late now. Live and learn I guess. I had also thought it might have been too much light but it had been in the tank for three weeks already and it looked like the first photo the whole time then just one day it wasn't opening as much. I had already lost two big clams before this die so I guess I panicked. As for moving it lower, it was already on the sand. I can't move them any further. I probably should have tried shading it before dipping.

Jungle_John
Thanks for the help. I just wish everyone would have came in here and told me that before I dipped it. Oh well too late now. Live and learn I guess. I had also thought it might have been too much light but it had been in the tank for three weeks already and it looked like the first photo the whole time then just one day it wasn't opening as much. I had already lost two big clams before this die so I guess I panicked. As for moving it lower, it was already on the sand. I can't move them any further. I probably should have tried shading it before dipping.

you got pm

lol....this whole thread makes me laugh

shading doesn't work

but what do i know.....

I'm glad it's amusing for you.

Archived