Pod Your Reef

Do!Aqua 7.5: The Test

DaveFason

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adin - Package arrived :) One looks a little mad and the other has made a small home. For now they are in the large tank. Thanks again!

I had to put off the scaping last night. I needed a few brews and a good time.

Updates today.

-Dave

Tonight! Sorry I had to work late yesterday.

New rock work, new toys and mini reviews.

Be on the look out around 7-8.

-Dave

Ryujin Housing - The beginning of the housing. Being made out of a 6101 bar of aluminum.

1. 10.5x2.75x1.5
  2. Anodized
  3. 12-16 LED's
  4. 60mm Fan
  5. Built in heatsink

IMG_4940-vi.jpg

The Test - So far this is the aqua scape. I really feel like I nailed the bonsai look and once the corals grow it I will look very unique. I have everything planned out so I know exactly where to mount the corals. There are a ton of overhangs hiding spots for the inverts too. Let me know what you guys think about it. Its really hard to snap pictures to show all the overhangs and branches.

Front

IMG_4941-vi.jpg

Side

IMG_4943-vi.jpg

IMG_4944-vi.jpg

Angle

IMG_4945-vi.jpg

Let me know what you guys think. I'll snap a few more and get a few new views.

-Dave

Ryujin Housing - The beginning of the housing. Being made out of a 6101 bar of aluminum.

1. 10.5x2.75x1.5
  2. Anodized
  3. 12-16 LED's
  4. 60mm Fan
  5. Built in heatsink

mmm billet LED fixture... excelent

The rock is from Bulk Reef. I ended up breaking the pieces and they turned into some really gnarly stuff. Fun to piece together and see what I could come up with.

Here are a few more views to show the wild structure.

IMG_4967-vi.jpg

IMG_4969-vi.jpg

I hope to have the housing back in 2-3 weeks.

-Dave

Not until late May. I dont want to set this up and then have to move it.

This will be on the third tier of my bookshelf stand :)

-Dave

wow, that looks great. Makes me want to do a bonsai tank. Are you going to CNC the housing? if so, are you doing it yourself or having it done?

Having it done. I plan on making many more of the housings too. This will be a prototype and go over this tank. That is why I have named this tank " The Test ".

I know I'm a nerd.....

-D

animalmaster6
Not until late May. I dont want to set this up and then have to move it.

This will be on the third tier of my bookshelf stand :)

-Dave

Cool.

I love your bookshelf idea! My favorite might be the Staghorn Garden with Mini Dartfish :happy:

I know I know...

Its this new stuff they carry at Home Depot. They do not carry Aquamend anymore.... :(

-D

Here's a mini review on a few new pieces of equipment I bought. The first is the new Milwaukee Digital Refractometer and the next is a Hanna PO4 checker. I was able to pick the Milwaukee up for $110 and the Hanna for 39.95 both include shipping. I figured both of these will last my entire reefing hobby so why not spend a little extra?

Milwaukee Refractometer

This is pretty standard to use. You plug a 9v battery in the back and screw the cap back on. This includes and oring to make sure water does not get to the electronics. When you turn it on the percentage of the battery is displayed first, then the method of measurement of the salinity ( PSU, PPT, S.G ) and then the main screen. Calibration was simple, fill the sensor with RO water and press zero, it calibrates and then it shows up as zero. After this you wipe the sensor dry and then add your salt water, press test and bamb you have your salinity. It only takes about 1-2 seconds before it is displayed. The best part about this is it only takes 1-2 drops to cover the sensor. I could have bought a standard refractometer but I figured what the hell!

Hanna PO4 Checker

This is rather new to the reef community. Until recently you had to anty-up $200 to check you PO4 accurately or spend $15 on a PO4 test kit that just sucked. I have always wondered what my PO4 was but did not want to fork out all the cash. Hanna just introduced this to the market in March and has a price tag of only $40! I bit the bullet and purchased this along with the Milwaukee. First you take the screw out of the bottom and install the battery. Press the center button to turn it on and then it will load for 2-3 seconds. After this you take one of the test vials and fill it up with 10mL of tank water( there is a line on the vial). Insert the vial into the checker, press the button and let it scan the water. After this you open the checker back up, pour the regent into the vial and shake the vial for 20 seconds. Load the vial back in and press and hold the center button. This will start a timer for three minutes and then register your PO4. My only gripe is once it is complete you only have ten seconds to read the reading.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase. They both match each other and make my life a whole lot easier!

IMG_4946-vi.jpg

-Dave

Archived