inTank Media Baskets

v850aq

Im new to tridacnids, but so far I like them a lot! I figured Id post some photos of the little 2-3" clams I've had sitting in my tank for the last few weeks, lemme know what you think!

they're sitting on epoxy disks on the sand bed for the time being, at least till they attach. Im running my tank with 39w of t5 and 120w of LEDs

ps, yes i know theres a derasa in there too

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

Nice clams. I have one quite similar to the third one and also one like the second one but that one died on me. The last one is insane! Sell it to me. :P Where did you get them?

Lol, thanks guys, I can see how these little buggers get very addictive.

This is how they are most of the time i pass by:

IMG_1331.jpg

they generally retract whenever the tang swims over, but the derasa seems oblivious...is this something they'll get used to... or should i move them to a lower traffic zone?

guia, I got them from work; we get the black/whites in every now and again, but most of them are varying colors of gold, green, and blue. if i end up buying too many (read: when i end up buying too many) and If you live near los angeles, i might be able to help you out :happy:

more pictars upon request, or when i add new clams :lol:

guia, I got them from work; we get the black/whites in every now and again, but most of them are varying colors of gold, green, and blue. if i end up buying too many (read: when i end up buying too many) and If you live near los angeles, i might be able to help you out :happy:

more pictars upon request, or when i add new clams :lol:

Cool. I'm in Santa Clarita so LA isn't too far. :D I just picked up three more maximas yesterday from Wet Thumb Frags. Actually five more because the teardrop maxima I ordered from Divers Den last week did not make it and I ordered a replacement along with another maxima clam. They came in yesterday too. So yeah I'm still trying to kick the addiction. :lol:

Very nice clam collection!

But you need to get them off the sand bed. If you don't have any space, use a clam pedestal. I did, it works! ;)

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=228199

I'm starting to believe that they really don't mind the sand. I have some on the rocks, some on the sand, and some on a similar pedestal filled with sand like yours. The ones with sand around them all have frag discs underneath them. Really all you are doing is raising them up but they are still sitting on sand. The clams that I have that looks the happiest are the ones on the sand or pedestal. The ones on the rocks are always moving around.

I'm starting to believe that they really don't mind the sand. I have some on the rocks, some on the sand, and some on a similar pedestal filled with sand like yours. The ones with sand around them all have frag discs underneath them. Really all you are doing is raising them up but they are still sitting on sand. The clams that I have that looks the happiest are the ones on the sand or pedestal. The ones on the rocks are always moving around.

At least you have something underneath yours. I assumed the OP just has his sitting on the sand bed. It would be a beeyatch to try to remove one once it has its' foot anchored to the bottom.

I think OP said they are on top of epoxy discs until they attach. I have a pretty deep sand bed, so they would end up burying themselves before hitting the bottom of my tank. :lol:

ya, the epoxy disks are buried under the sand, but they've attached themselves to the disks, its a little easier to see the disks in the zoomed out photo above

Those clams are looking good!! How big do those maximas get?

6-10 inches usually but Maximas grow quite slowly so that won't happen for a while

• 3 weeks later...

figured Id give a bit of a picture update:

top down pictures are sexy...flatworms arent <_<

IMG_2803.jpg

they've finally started opening up completely

IMG_1376.jpgw

Archived