Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ADA 60-F

gabe_j

thanks man. unfortunately i just found a small like 2mm nudi and some random white balls with a shrt rig of strings at the top. looks like some kind of filter feeder. so i caught the nudi. and used a SW/iodine dip and scrubbed the affected rocks just incase its something bad. i don't trust random sacks in my tank.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
brokenoffroad
thanks man. unfortunately i just found a small like 2mm nudi and some random white balls with a shrt rig of strings at the top. looks like some kind of filter feeder. so i caught the nudi. and used a SW/iodine dip and scrubbed the affected rocks just incase its something bad. i don't trust random sacks in my tank.

lol you can never trust a random sack.

good luck

• 4 weeks later...

sorry its been a while since my last update folks. i've gone ahead and purchased another pack from mr. coral. the 22 frags for $100 and with a 50% survival rate it looks like thats where i'm staying for now.he's been cool enough to offer to hit me up with the frags that didn't make it so we'll see. what the future brings but for now here are some pictures of the tank as it stands right now. sorry if you see any of the photos with a crappy cut along the trim work around the tank. i know i'm gonna fix that later just been lazy.

4764187121_62c4644cc5_b.jpg

4764821778_e00eb6d6d1_b.jpg

4764820048_4334449ba1_b.jpg

4764181871_4b3e2a9080_b.jpg

4764815280_8a665abaa9_b.jpg

4764177033_1612f41d9f_b.jpg

4764810100_1f379d0297_b.jpg

4764171675_363e5bc404_b.jpg

4764806326_c9b530b01a_b.jpg

4764804568_30c9f63a65_b.jpg

4764166673_ca6ab7cff0_b.jpg

4764801144_590c6b5159_b.jpg

thanks for looking!

chucktdbm321

nice stuff gabe, too bad you are not a local to mr.coral. I go to his shop all the time and don't have to worry about shipping

lucky bastard. lol. i may just ask him if i can pay for the shipping if he'll ship the corals that didn't make it.

chucktdbm321

lol yea it sucks that he doesn't have the best rep with shipping but damn is his store nice. He has at least twice as many corals in his shop then online. Its always worth the trip.

Did i see you glued down some GSP to the bottom? I did that too, except i just emptied my tank because it was under some construction lol. So i had to re glue it, hopefully they come out again.

i haven't glued it down only cuz a good bit of the mat is folded over and i don't wanna mess it up ripping it apart. but it seems to want to grab the glass on its own. i'm waiting for it to encrust the whole bottom

chucktdbm321

yea i glued mine down and the piece is seriously the size of penny. I wonder how long it will take before its a descent size mat

• 3 weeks later...

chuck, dude that gsp grows fast... i bought a chunk the size of mabe a half dollar at most and now its a good 3x 3 inches.i think it will look really neat once its starts coving the floor along with some other zoas,and mushroom i stuck on the glass. screw sand.. lol

• 2 weeks later...

thank you, i really need to update we've got a good 6 more corals, and a rescape i gotta capture. so there is more to come. did you go for the 4 t5s? i'm kinda regreting not having more light.

left tank shot,

left8.jpg

orange acan growth

new_growth_orange_acan.jpg

idaho purple

idaho_purple.jpg

new blasto

blasto17.jpg

birdsnest i should trim this shouldn't i?

birdsnest7.jpg

new acan

actinic_acan3.jpg

yep more acans.

actinic_acan2.jpg

the runts

acan_runt.jpg

acan babies!

acan_new_growth.jpg

thanks for looking!

and comment while your here.

thanks man! i'll probably be getting 9 more next week from mr coral. so we'll see.

thanks and believe it or not that was a browned out bleh can when i got it! and it morphed into this. they are my wife favorite corals. so i plan on making a 75 gallon set up with nothing but acans and favias. it should be epic. lol

ok i'll admit those last updates were pretty lame but the water was all dirty and such so here are some better shots that have also been balanced to show their true colors.

roll over mandarin

roll_over.jpg

hungry babies

baby_acan2.jpg

some of these alternate skirts i wish they would show better...

actinic_yellow_jackets.jpg

mandarin_hiding_.jpg

hungry shrooms

hungry_mushroom.jpg

orange_acans.jpg

yellow jackets in "daylight"

jap_yellow_jackets.jpg

puffy blasto

blaso1.jpg

balanced out new acans.

april_s_acan.jpg

ready to eat!

the_new_ones_are_hungry.jpg

fts as of yesterday

fts108.jpg

thanks man, everythings done alot better over the last 2 weeks especially after i set up the skimmer, its only a cheap oceanic with an air pump rated for 40 gallons and it seems to work fairly well.i have it running faily dry but it does take a while to fill up the cup but its usually kind of a darker green color.

mobilehurricane

so how is that mandarin doing? it is one of the fish that got me into the hobby and they always have them at my lfs but i have been persuaded never to get one for a nano lol i have a 17.4 gallon rimless mr. aqua and a 6 gallon eclipse for quarantining stuff. gotta love the rimless. you tempt me with the mandarin and i was just wondering how he was doing on the frozen?

he seems to like it quite a bit i've heard mixed stories as far as training goes but i got my trained completely over in 2 weeks. and some people it can take months so it just depends on the fish i guess. but i've had him for several months i'd say since around april or may i think. i just have to make sure to enrich the food i'll soak the brine or myisis over night in some zoeplankton or cyclopeze and then let them have at it.

mobilehurricane

thanks for the detailed response! unfortunately my lfs no longer carries live brine shrimp which is what i wanted to use during the training to frozen...so i will hold off until i find a supplier or another solution. i know i read that some people used that during training, was that what you used as well or something else?

@ chuck, yes dood you do need to update! right now damn it..

@ mobilehurricane you can find brine shrimp eggs on the cheap i paid like 5 or 6 for a vile and i mabe got through an 1/8 of the container before i was done training, all you gotta set up is a tall container of some sort (i used an old lava lamp tank my daughter had and i threw in some SW and an air line no stone. just the air line with med sized bubbles, and a light) once you get the water flowing around you can add your eggs a 1/4 of a tsp or so and wait over night once they start hatching you'll see little pink specks twitching around in there. it'll take about 24 hours for them to hatch. add a small amount of zoe plankton or phytoplankton let it sit for about 15 or 20 mins so they eat some of it up. at that point you turn off your air line and let the water calm. then you shine a flashlight at the bottom of the tank all the little shrimps are dumb and go to the light then you suck them up with a turkey baster.

and start all over again depending on how much plankton they eat determines weather your water goes bad, mine would last 2 hatchings so about 48 hours. its work but you can train your mandarin to frozen. also when you add the baby brine you need to turn off your filters till they water clears. and trust me if you do it right you should have thousands of baby brine.

Archived