SaltCritters.com

ADA 60-F

gabe_j

mobilehurricane

wow that's an awesome explanation...the lfs did have a vile of brine shrimp eggs that i noticed while i was looking through all of food supplies, and i had wondered if it would work. glad to know that with some patience, it would.

to me, the mandarin is totally worth the extra effort after all of the searching i have done and thanks to your help as well. now i just have to wait for a nice specimen to come through the lfs ,they are only $13 and i think normally get snatched up by people that just think they look cool, its unfortunate, but i see them willing to sell them to anyone who shows interest without telling them about the care.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ MH, i really do like haveing put the effort into training it over because alot of folks try one and not training it and wonder wtf it dies in a short amount of time, if you can't train them your pretty much flushing your money and the life of a wild fish down the toilet.

@ D'Espresso thanks alot! i'm surprised my tank is catching more folks eye, as time goes by. and a little tidbit for you i'll be getting a good 10 or 12 more frags to throw in the tank so i think after that i'll be getting close to maxing out my tank... or i'll find some creative way of craming more in anyways! lol anyways keep an eye on my tank it should be getting better sooner than later.

alright so i just ordered by mp10es and 11 more corals from mr. coral. the frags should be here thurs. and the pump should be here friday.

You won't be disappointed at all with the mp10 and frags. What kind of frags did u get from mrcoral? And can you tell me more about the optimal backup battery setup?

lets see, several acans, a couple of zoas, some chalices, a yuma, and an acro, and some favias i think that was everything but i'll deff. post some pics when everything arrives.

lets see as far as setting something up you could get a battery and hook up something like one of these i wouldn't hook up more than a pump to the inverter only so your power supply will last longer. i'm sure if you had to do it you could run your lights on it for a short while and i'm talking just enough to keep things alive if you had to. but i wouldnt recomend it, sunlight is free theres got to be a way to make use of it. now the reason i say to use a marine battery especially an optima is because they are basiclly 6 huge capacitors. a reg battery is just that chemical reaction setup a car uses. and they don't handle being fully drained and then charged up again very well especially if it happens often. i'm sure theres some care steps that should be followed for the marine batteries like weather you should store them charged or uncharged/ how often to cycle the battery for max life. now that i think about it i'm not sure if you'd want to use a car audio capacitor to do the job. i'd say its safer to stick with a marine battery.

so my mandarin jumped last night, i stuck him back in and i think the stress was too much for him he lost his slime coat and it was down hill from there he did fight it off till about 45 mins ago. so i'm off to the lfs to pick up another one... the training starts all over again.

mobilehurricane

oh no that's awful! and right after i asked you about it. sorry for your loss, enjoy training the new one though and i look forward to watching it progress. i'm always afraid that is going to happen and made a plexi-glass lid and saw you had one with a similar idea, i gotta admit i don't keep mine on all the time though.

thanks man, actually my daughter took it pretty hard she loved her "rainbow fish" so we had a small funeral only family and close friends attended. then we went to rainforest pets in league city dale the owner has done a pretty good job of handling the training part known to him or not but he feeds a huge variety to the sw tanks he has so fortunately he's fully trained! the guy feeds; live brine, frozen brine, mysis, bloodworm, cyclops, with a touch of garlic extreme and all the fish are doing good and healthy eaters. mine took out a good pile of brine when we got home. so i'm alot more at ease that i don't have to retrain another fish. it wouldn't bother me but i've been pretty busy at work so it would have just made the day longer. i guess we just lucked out. and its a pretty good size about 3 1/4 inches long beautiful fish very colorful huge fins so when it puts up his dorsal fin it just looks awesome. dispite all the new corals he still stands out in my tank.

mobilehurricane

that's great to hear! it's always sad when you lose one you have had a while, but i'm glad you got another good one. i don't think i'm as lucky with the lfs here. 3 1/4 inches is a pretty good size. can't wait to get mine eventually. how did the new corals from mr. coral do? i originally ordered the lucky 16 pack about 2 months ago, but the $10 section keeps calling my name

They are doing good looks like have each one bagged by itself made a HUGE difference everything was opened up pretty quickly and they all fed that night no problem so I'm happy and I got the $40credit for losing 1/2 my corals on the last go around. Even the acro is doing well

mobilehurricane

that's good to hear, i also lost probably 6 out of the 16 zoas with my first order from mr. coral but for the price i didn't really complain enough to get any credit. the individual bagging is a great improvement since i hated seeing 4 zoas and frag plugs in the same bag when i first received my order. i'm sure i will make a purchase from the $10 section sooner than later.

i saw a mandarin last night about the size of the one you described..the lfs has 2 now but i didn't have any food ready so i held off..definitely considering it

p.s. where are those new coral pics?!

dude brine eggs hatch over night. get a mandarin! lol i know about the pics i'll have to post some later. if i get a chance i've been so damn busy with work.

Sweet new stuff u hot there bro. I can't wait for my new corals to come in either. It's all a replacement from my bad crash last time. Cool fish too!

mobilehurricane

haha i know what you mean about being busy, this week has been a nightmare at work!

awesome additions you got there! i can't wait to get some acans, but i really really want a blasto like that! and everything you got looks really nice, nice yuma as well!

you're gonna convince me to get that mandarin tonight lol i was planning on picking up a true percula and a black and white percula this weekend and then adding one or 2 more fish over the next few months, but the mandarin was the one i wanted the most.

dude surprised me i feel the new mandarin right when it got home and it took the frozen with no problems. i think i'm just lucky though! but go get the fish you want! seriously like right now. also acans are so easy just toss them in, and enjoy..

oh yeah i got MORE lr so i'll have to do a new, new fts. i dont know if its final since i'm still tinkering with the vortech. trying to get it "just right" is a pita.

mobilehurricane

haha i gotta get the mandarin then. haven't had any good acans locally and the blastos are all like $50 so i'll just pass until i find a good deal or order online.

i use the sicce voyager powerhead with 265-607 gph and i have had it for 3 months and still don't have it how i want. i think it has been in every corner of the tank now at different heights...either it does nothing or it blows everything like crazy. so i turn it off a lot and just use the flow from the ac-70.

aw hell thanks man! unfortuantely i had to return my mandarin he wasn't likeing the training over to frozen. he'd eat a few pieces and then stop. i just dont understand the problem he wasn't liking the live brine but he'd take the bloodworms,mysis, brine frozen just not alot. and he started to lose weight so i did the responsible thing and brought him back to the store. i plan on setting up a 30 or 40 breeder and i'll get him back and toss him in there by himself mabe get him a lady friend and see what happens. luckly though the owner of the store is going to take him home to his 125 gallon tank for me and let him fatten up there while i get my next tank ready. oh and i've got to update the pics again i've rescaped again after i got my mp10es so that all needs to be posted. and i think you folks will like the changes even more that my current display!

oh i almost forgot the big tank will be my frag tank so soon i'll start having some nice acans for sale to help fund my nano. upgrades and such.

lmfao! alright alright i'm off friday so i'll do it then. i've got to do a tank maintainace on a friends tank tonight so that may take up my free time for the evening. but we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

4984909772_22f614a8c9.jpg

4984311997_a878a3724e_b.jpg

4984914008_61d1e3ac39.jpg

4984316735_640c2c1702.jpg

4984918980_0d0a5905a2.jpg

4984923902_2268e239b5.jpg

8 by gabe_j, on Flickr

4984326437_9d187f3bbc.jpg

11 by gabe_j, on Flickr

4984928458_3c8044585d.jpg

12 by gabe_j, on Flickr

4984930646_d9a25e7c7d.jpg

15 by gabe_j, on Flickr

4984332933_1f143e4727_b.jpg

16 by gabe_j, on Flickr

4984335003_6724d4e3a3.jpg

17 by gabe_j, on Flickr

4984337135_4891615240_b.jpg

19 by gabe_j, on Flickr

4984339347_acff428d23_b.jpg

20 by gabe_j, on Flickr

4984941272_a2b378bfc0_b.jpg

21 by gabe_j, on Flickr

4984941272_a2b378bfc0_b.jpg

21 by gabe_j, on Flickr

4984348081_566767af8a_b.jpg

25 by gabe_j, on Flickr

4984352841_932e4346c5_b.jpg

28 by gabe_j, on Flickr

4984954498_fcc1c4cef1.jpg

31 by gabe_j, on Flickr

more to come later when i have some more time.

mobilehurricane

very nice colors dude!!! i can't seem to get pics showing the true color with my camera. just got my first acan this weekend, you have quite a nice collection going! love the sexies too

hey thanks man. you gotta set up your white balance. i've got a cannon 720is and i go to my wb setting and tab over to evaluate, then push display so it takes a sample of the colors and it corrects itself. and then from there i use photoshop 5 to manipulate it till i get as close to real colors as i can. unfortunately they are a bit brighter and i can't get it to show in the pictures with out over saturating the img. also doing an evaluation for your white balance you wind up cutting out some of the blues from the tank lights. i still haven't figured out a way to show the true colors and keep that nice crisp blue from the lights.

on a side note i got the ati aquablue and run it with a geisseman actinic + and its looks pretty good together.

Archived