Pod Your Reef

Building a Moon Jellyfish System

Nate Dawg

Hello!

Well,

All the jellyfish aquariums are really expensive so I'm building my own. Also, you have to constantly buy new jellies when the old ones die. So, why not just breed your own?

I'm basing my designs off of the ones at http://www.jelliquarium.com/default.aspx. Theirs are soooo expensive. First, I'm going to replicate the P-E Combo System (holds polyps and when they release baby ephyrae, they are automatically transported to the ephyra chamber. The tank has a built in wet-dry filter. http://www.jelliquarium.com/ProductDetails...?productID=3830. $816!!! That is ridiculous! I'm going to build one hopefully for less than $300! Here's a video on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syn5AKRWrmc

When I'm done with that, I'm going to build a main display tank to hold my jellies!

So, stay tuned to see what I have done

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We bought this stand at Goodwill for $12.00. It's really nice and I'm glad it was so cheap. It's sitting on our fireplace which is where the tank will be! We're making up our shopping list and hopefully have all the supplies soon! I'll keep you posted!

1234.bmp

We have cut all the materials and put everything together so far. All that is left is gluing.

I can't wait until it's done!

So, here are some pictures...

Here's the tank so far. All of the stuff is just resting inside. None of it is glued yet. We are using a sushi tray for the drip plate. The section on the far right is the polyp chamber. The free-floating ephyra will flow out of a hole in the plexiglas separator (which you can't see) into the ephyra chamber in the middle. The chamber on the far left is the wet dry filter.

123456.bmp

Down below is the PVC system that will spread water around the tank. It has an on/off ball valve for each piece of tubing connecting to the different chambers of the tank. The black pipe below is the spray bar which will spray the ephyra away from the screen that will draw water from the ephyra part of the tank. The spray bar will also create laminar flow around the ephyra chamber.

123dr.bmp

So, on top is the screen and the wall leading to the wet/dry filter. The screen will prevent debris or, possibly ephyra that have somehow passed the spray bar. We are thinking of gluing the screen to a plexiglass frame and putting in screws to make it removable for cleaning. Then under that are the bioballs which are our filtration medium.

12345.bmp

OH, I forgot to mention, the polyp/ephyra tank is a 15 gallon standard aquarium. Hopefully a 20 gallon HIGH aquarium will still fit on this stand...

Got It all glued together! It fit together pretty well.

Here's a picture I drew on it to label the parts of the tank.

gluedpetank.bmp

Here's the tank fully assembled with the pump and filter and everything.

Front View

front.bmp

Back View

back.bmp

Top View

top.bmp

I'm not making any promises, but I'll try to have the tank filled with water hopefully by this weekend.

I filled the tank this weekend. I filled it with shredded paper towels to represent ephyrae. The tank is running with the little paper towels. I am finding all the spots they are getting stuck and fixing them. So far, they've been getting caught above the spray bar (a simple fix by raising the spray bar until it's halfway submerged. Also the screen is on a frame. When I moved the spray bar up, the paper towels are getting around the frame because it's only screwed in. I guess I'll have to glue it. That's a bummer because it would be really useful to have it removable. I'll get a video online soon so you can see it in action. Oh! and also, I need warm water aurelia sp. polyps. The only ones in the whole country I can find are sold by Alex Andon from JellyfishArt.com. He'll sell 50 polyps for $90 plus another $50 for shipping. I don't need 50 polyps. I only need like 25. So if you've seen tropical aurelia polyps, PM me or make a post on it! THANKS!

Jellies rock!

Here is my Jellies tank.

I currently have a few polyps for my Cassiopeia sp. If you would like to try out your system I can send you a few. I'm also building a cold water system for moons. I can wait to see how yours comes out.

PS . There are now 3 purple spotted lagoon jellies that occupy the mid-water on this tank.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=229983

post-51417-1270167890_thumb.jpg

post-51417-1270168864_thumb.jpg

post-51417-1270169009_thumb.jpg

Here's a video of the tank. I'm testing it with torn paper towels. I actually have two videos that I made for you.

Also, people...

Do you think I should use moon jellies in that tank?

Or should I use spotted lagoon jellies in it?

Where did you find the curved acrylic?

I curved them with a heat gun. You can get the acrylic soft enough to bend. You can also use heat tape to bend acrylic.

Awesome! Now the wild populations can be saved to sting some more! ;):) Good luck with it!

Don't be a hater!!!!!!!

NO HATING!!!!!

LOL

Here's a video of the tank. I'm testing it with torn paper towels. I actually have two videos that I made for you.

Also, people...

Do you think I should use moon jellies in that tank?

Or should I use spotted lagoon jellies in it?

Excellent design! Good work!

The spotted lagoon jellies only need a modified box style tank. They are able to keep themselves suspended in midwater. Lagoons also need intense lighting!

Excellent design! Good work!

The spotted lagoon jellies only need a modified box style tank. They are able to keep themselves suspended in midwater. Lagoons also need intense lighting!

Yeah, Thats why I can't decide to build my display tank a pseudokreisel or a modified box...

Just an update. Alex Andon (Jellyfish Art.com) said he could get me some of his moon polyps. He just cleaned them all out but some more should appear soon. I don't have a price yet...

• 3 weeks later...
Nate Dawg

Okay, Jellyfishart.com has some polyps ready for me. I filled my tank with ocean water and did a water test. The water is perfect quality. I'll be ordering the polyps real soon. Also... I decided not to breed brine shrimp. It turns out that rotifers are much more nutritious. I'll just be buying those frozen from the pet store and enriching them in Selcon. I'll get some pictures up as soon as the polyps come in!

Nate Dawg
I love me some jellyfish prepared with vinegar and soy sauce. Yummy ;)

That's disgusting.

Archived