Innovative Marine Aquariums

Building a Moon Jellyfish System

Nate Dawg

Okay sorry guys. Apparently the shipment was delayed. The polyps just came in so I'm really excited. They came in a box (about 12"x12"x6") Then a styrofoam box. They were in a bag and there was a hand warmer inside. I'm just temp acclimating them. I'll get all the pictures up when I'm done. There is a bunch of junk in there (probably food) and the polyps are about 2mm big and pink. I hope they are okay after the one day delay. Well, I'll get my pics up asap!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pictures!

The little pink things, I'm guessing are food.

The polyps are bigger.

I turned on the valve for the ephyra compartment but for the polyps, there's no water flow. I'll let them get attached first.

And if I haven't said it already, I'm giving them frozen rotifers enriched with selcon.

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0203.JPG

IMG_0206.JPG

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

Oh and I was afraid that the polyps were dead but i looked at them under a microscope and they aren't. Here are some videos:

Videos

Jungle_John

neet man, good luck with them, im working on my jelly tank also right now. were you get your spray bar?

neet man, good luck with them, im working on my jelly tank also right now. were you get your spray bar?

Just drilled some holes in PVC.

Well I fed them their first meal today. Frozen rotifers enriched in selco. I hope they like it. Supposedly, rotifers are much more healthy than brine shrimp. And theres a problem. It all fell to the bottom, so i don't think the polyps can reach it. If I turn on the flow, All the rotifers will flow out into the empty ephyra tank. Hmmm... Any help people?

buy live rotifer and fed them plankton, and the jellies will eat both.

Where can I get them live?

Just an update,

about 50-60% of the polyps attached. I'm feeding them, I don't know if they are eating or not but...

Yeah, about 30% of them are already strobilae.

I love me some jellyfish prepared with vinegar and soy sauce. Yummy ;)

I had spicey jellyfish in Chinatown once. Most delish thing ever!

But seriously, this project is awesome and I hope it goes well

My polyps are doing great at strobilating. I see the little ephyrae pulsing on them. I'll get up some pictures soon!

Jungle_John

cool:) waiting for pics. im almost attempted to just do moons since i can find blue blubbers but im waiting to see how yours do.

A lot of ehpyra are comming so I decided to fix the hole above the screen. (The screen had arched out and some ephyra got sucked out and into the filter) So, I am using some kind of liquid acrylic. Apparently its toxic yikes I made a mistake... Now I have that stuff in the air around my aquarium :tears: . I have a fan above it sucking the air away and it's curing. I hope it all works out! I'm pretty scared for my little baby jellies :scarry:.

Oh no, I hope they make it okay!

Although I haven't commented I've been watching this, and I thought of you last night when I saw a bunch of Jellies on Blue Planet last night.

I especially thought of you when they showed pics of baby Jellies and talked about how they reproduce.

look up lafishguys on you tube, hes the one who makes the jelliquariums and has done a few shows on them in the past. raising and feeding the jellies decapsulated brine ship was one of the last ones.

look up lafishguys on you tube, hes the one who makes the jelliquariums and has done a few shows on them in the past. raising and feeding the jellies decapsulated brine ship was one of the last ones.

Yeah, I've been watching his shows lately. They are pretty cool! I would suggest them to most reefers.

Turns out I should have the polyps on a suspended acrylic slide so they aren't in all the junk that falls to the bottom. I can scrape them off the bottom with a blade, any ideas on how to attach them to an acrylic slide?

Archived