SaltCritters.com

Building a Moon Jellyfish System

Nate Dawg

rockhead01
Turns out I should have the polyps on a suspended acrylic slide so they aren't in all the junk that falls to the bottom. I can scrape them off the bottom with a blade, any ideas on how to attach them to an acrylic slide?

Hey Nate,

Just let them settle.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jungle_John

yea i hear after there attach you shouldn't move them. im thinking of getting some moons for one tank right now till i fine some blubbers for the other tanks. im enjoying watching this thread:) also like the new profile photo nate, babonfilia... spelt wrong... or dentro?

Like the new profile photo Nate, babonfilia... spelt wrong... or dentro?

Trumpet Coral.

here's a blurry picture

no.jpg

Well I finished all gluing and the tank has no problems that I can see now...

I tested the water and here are the results:

Ammonia : 0

Nitrate : 2.5

Nitrite : .5

pH : 8.5

Nitrates and Nitrites are dangerously high...

How should I fix that?

Do need to do water changes every day?

Should I get some macro-algae in the filter?

EDIT: Oh and I don't see any ephyrae or strobilae anymore =(

I've decided to switch to live baby brine shrimp. I have some going right now.

I also am going to move the polyps onto acrylic slides and have them suspended (hopefully soon).

And there is a problem with the screen. Everything is sticking to it including the ephyra (there was one baby when I cleaned off the screen this morning) Now he's gone... =(.

Hopefully I can find a way to fix it...

Jungle_John
I've decided to switch to live baby brine shrimp. I have some going right now.

I also am going to move the polyps onto acrylic slides and have them suspended (hopefully soon).

And there is a problem with the screen. Everything is sticking to it including the ephyra (there was one baby when I cleaned off the screen this morning) Now he's gone... =(.

Hopefully I can find a way to fix it...

can you reduce the water flow so it doesn't filter as much water through the screen? that sucks man, sofrry to hear about the baby:(

I fed my little polyps some brine shrimp. (I gave them a lot). They are really happy and have stacks of dead brine shrimp around them. I soaked the brines in Selcon. The nutritional part of the brine shrimp is their yolk sac which is eaten in the first 24 hours of their life. Selcon just adds more nutrition. It's really cool watching them eat! Here's some pictures.

IMG_1837.JPG

IMG_1835.JPG

IMG_1838.jpg

rockhead01
Well I finished all gluing and the tank has no problems that I can see now...

I tested the water and here are the results:

Ammonia : 0

Nitrate : 2.5

Nitrite : .5

pH : 8.5

Nitrates and Nitrites are dangerously high...

How should I fix that?

Do need to do water changes every day?

Should I get some macro-algae in the filter?

EDIT: Oh and I don't see any ephyrae or strobilae anymore =(

I would not worry about the nitrates. Because of the feedings, you are always going to have a nitrate issue.

Hatching brine shrimp is not my thing. I hate having to seperate the eggs and shells from the shrimp. So I think I'm gonna go for decapsulated:

Decapsulated Brine Shrimp Eggs

Can anyone tell me how to hatch these guys. Do I just put them in saltwater and wait for 24 hrs like with the regular eggs. Or will they hatch in like 5 minutes?

Oh and P.S.

I got my nitrites down to 0.06. GREAT!!!

I have 5 ephyra and more on the way. Most of them were rescued from the tank. They were getting sucked right through the screen! I guess that will be a grow out tank for them when they get bigger. I have them now in a little dish floating in the tank.

I also got you some pictures!

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

In that little dish, I'm going to have to give them new water every day. When they get about 2cm, I'll see if they can live in the tank or not.

rockhead01
Hatching brine shrimp is not my thing. I hate having to seperate the eggs and shells from the shrimp. So I think I'm gonna go for decapsulated:

Decapsulated Brine Shrimp Eggs

Can anyone tell me how to hatch these guys. Do I just put them in saltwater and wait for 24 hrs like with the regular eggs. Or will they hatch in like 5 minutes?

Oh and P.S.

I got my nitrites down to 0.06. GREAT!!!

Nate,

Explain to me how you are hatching your brine shrimp? I've read the decapsulated eggs have a lower hatch rate...

I have 5 ephyra and more on the way. Most of them were rescued from the tank. They were getting sucked right through the screen! I guess that will be a grow out tank for them when they get bigger. I have them now in a little dish floating in the tank.

I also got you some pictures!

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

In that little dish, I'm going to have to give them new water every day. When they get about 2cm, I'll see if they can live in the tank or not.

Your baby jellies are awesome! Good job!!

Well, it turns out that those eggs don't hatch at all. Apparently decapsulated eggs don't hatch. They are supposed to be fed directly.

However, I did find something interesting. These eggs are decapsulated but stored in a special substance that preserves them I guess. They are kept in the fridge.

Anyway, I ordered them so I'll try them out.

Shell Free E-Z Egg

Roxy,

I put the eggs in an upside-down soda bottle with an aerator for 24 hours. Then I use a light to get them all together in one spot (they're attracted to the light). Then I suck them up with a turkey baster. I still suck up some egg shells and unhatched eggs. That is why decapsulated eggs will be easier.

At brineshrimpdirect.com they say that decapsulated can have up to a 10% higher hatch rate because it takes a lot of strength for the brine shrimps to get out of the shells. That makes it easier for them.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and now I have 22 ephyra!

I fed the polyps and ephyra their first decapsulated brine shrimp. I hatched them for 24 hours and fed them. It was much easier and it looks like about 70% hatch rate. That is much higher than my other eggs I use. I think I'll use these eggs from now on.

The ones I buy are 95% hatch rate, but I'd say I'm getting almost 99% to hatch.

You're counting them? :rolleyes:

I lost quite a few ehyrae (i don't know why) but I still have enough.

They stopped being produced so much after I turned down the temp. The polyps are really fat. Before, they were skinny and almost looked like polyps from a gorgonian. But know they look like mcdonalds addicts.

Unfortunately, the epyhrae aren't eating that much. I dont' know how they're supposed to eat as ehpyrae. They don't have stingers which means they have to get the brine shrimp right up to their mouths by chance. I guess thats why they aren't growing...

hmmm...

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

Oh and I'm starting a dwarf seahorse/dwarf pipefish aquarium.

I'll have a thread started soon hopefully. Be sure to check it out when I post it!

• 2 weeks later...

All the ephyra died off. I really don't know what happened to them.

I have some nice new strobilae ready to release some more ephyrae. Apparently, the more you feed them, the more they release at once. I was only getting one or two from each before. The polyp that's ready to release some jellies has about 10 on it. So, I'll hopefully be getting a more steady supply.

And I'm planning on cutting a big hole around the screen and putting in a new, bigger screen with smaller holes. Hopefully that will fix the ephyra chamber problem. (If you didn't read earlier, the ehpyra were getting sucked right through the screen.) And I'm going to have to make yet another spray bar. I think that will be my third. They just aren't working properly. I think I'm going to use some rigid tubing and seal one end. Before, I was using pvc and it was just too bulky.

• 1 month later...

The tank hasn't really changed lately. The polyps are growing in numbers and forming a small colony.

I've been feeding them baby brine shrimp every other day.

I have no medusas though. I am not able to keep them alive for over a week.

The psuedokreisel that the ephyrae were supposed to go in still doesn't work (but I have some ideas of modifying it again)

So when I do get ephyrae, i feed them daily. I put about 4 or 5 in a small water bottle lid with water in it. I dissolve some frozen rotifers in the water too. I put them back in their dish i keep them in about 5 or 6 hours later. They live in a little dish about 5" in diameter with about 3" of water. I give them daily water changes.

Any ideas?

I had hoped that I could have some pictures of 4" moon jellies for you by now. Sorry :tears:

But here is a picture of my polyp culture. They are growing on the heater. odd. When I feed them, I have a light up against the glass that attracts the brine shrimp.

Warmer water = more ephyrae. So growing on the heater isn't necessarily a bad thing...

IMG_2158.jpg

what isnt working in the main tank? is it the screen? if so ill take a picture of my tank, it works good but it has no screens. i also haven't found any blue blubbers yet:(

• 2 weeks later...
what isnt working in the main tank? is it the screen? if so ill take a picture of my tank, it works good but it has no screens. i also haven't found any blue blubbers yet:(

PM me and I can help you get some blue blubbers.

I don't know of the price though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Where did you find blue blubbers?

PM'd

I really suck at growing baby jellies.

They just shrink and die after a few weeks.

I've been keeping them in a 6" dish, changing the water every 3 days (I know I should change it every day but I don't have time.)

I'm feeding them frozen rotifers and stirring the water twice a day.

Chad Widmer's book (how to keep jellyfish in aquariums) says I can keep them in a standing dish of water.

I'm thinking of getting a magnetic stirrer?

Anyway, the reason for this post is because I'm thinking of buying some 2" moons from Jellyfish Art.

I will just put them in the ephyra chamber since it obviously isn't suited for the little ephyra.

(If you didn't read earlier, it was sucking them into the filter)

Archived