Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Who could be nipping

TAttel

I wanted to put this on the forum see if anyone can help narrow my suspects. I got a blue crocea in my solana 34gal (middle water column on LR) thats been in the tank over 2 1/2 months everything great except up until last week I noticed the mantle edges only on one side a bit bumpy so something got to be nipping:

Suspects:

1) clown--- he has been in the tank the longest but stays in upper water column on the other side of clam

2) 6line wrasse---had him before the clam as well

3) yellow tail damsel--- newer addition but he been here for over a month

4) blue hermits----only got 4 and never see them around the clam

5) snails---range from ceriths,vibex

None of the other soft corals show any signs of nipping and everybody is growing happily.

The clam is open during the day and no signs of stress IMO. I watched an entire weekend and no one even cared about the clam so it got to be at night. My leading candidate is the damsel as he has turned into a real punk and killed a new edition pseudochromis recently so I am biased..... of course all three of them have territory issues.

cheryl jordan

6 lines do not nip on the mantle they just pester the clam by constantly picking at the little pods and such that are there. This causes the clam stress, and they keep closing thus stressing them further. Just my experience though. If there are not bites out of the mantle then I would go with the 6 line, if there are bites then the damsel. I hate damsels too but I have never had them nip at my clams.

6 lines do not nip on the mantle they just pester the clam by constantly picking at the little pods and such that are there. This causes the clam stress, and they keep closing thus stressing them further. Just my experience though. If there are not bites out of the mantle then I would go with the 6 line, if there are bites then the damsel. I hate damsels too but I have never had them nip at my clams.

+100

pics would help in this situation however

the "bumps" you could be talking about could be PM or something else but w/o pics i/we can't be sure

I am working on pics I don't have the best camera, it really looks like nips or bites....the PM I have seen has been more straight line so to speak this is more rounded and random to me. But you are the expert by far PM would be a major let down.

I am working on pics I don't have the best camera, it really looks like nips or bites....the PM I have seen has been more straight line so to speak this is more rounded and random to me. But you are the expert by far PM would be a major let down.

PM is actually very easy to treat as long as you catch it quickly

hence the pic!!!

;)

Pics...as best I can do I noticed on the front right really but I guess on the top down view you can see a couple nips?

post-44957-1269042269_thumb.jpg

post-44957-1269043507_thumb.jpg

post-44957-1269043668_thumb.jpg

and now looking at the top down pic a bit closer it looks like you may have some bleaching around the intake siphon

not good

so pm can take on a frilly look as well....fresh water dipping best thing to do then?

yup 15-20 minutes in temp/ph regulated ro/di water should do the trick

yup 15-20 minutes in temp/ph regulated ro/di water should do the trick

Is there a trick to removing him from the live rock? I do not want to damage him in this process. Also should I scrub his shell or just turkey baste the mantle?

don't scrub anything!!

get a straight edge razor blade and gently cut the threads that the clam is attached to the rockwork with

they will literally look like thick strands of thread

this will in no way harm the clam

don't scrub anything!!

get a straight edge razor blade and gently cut the threads that the clam is attached to the rockwork with

they will literally look like thick strands of thread

this will in no way harm the clam

should I do this a couple times like every couple days for a week...when does one usually see positive results 2 weeks?...also out of curiosity can this be done as a preventative measure?

should I do this a couple times like every couple days for a week...when does one usually see positive results 2 weeks?...also out of curiosity can this be done as a preventative measure?

do one treatment and give the clam 3-5 days of recovery time

it should be 100% in your case after 1 dip

and NO i do not recommend undue stress on a clam as a preventative to PM

do one treatment and give the clam 3-5 days of recovery time

it should be 100% in your case after 1 dip

and NO i do not recommend undue stress on a clam as a preventative to PM

I treated today, clam was pretty PO in the fresh water and did not open up at all even with light....but when he got back in the tank he opened up within 5min. Wait and see now

Archived