inTank Media Baskets

Maestro's 57G Illuminata Rimless

VtheMaestro

I like the idea of 2 MP10s. I'll start with one for now to see how I like it, then pick up the 2nd later.

As for the skimmer, I'll look into the other options. I have to research the return policy of the LFS i bought it from.

As for the fixture, i liked the the built in time controls, and i liked the 3 different type of lights on one power cord. I figured anything was better than the power compacts in my biocube. lol. Suggestions on something better with similar features?

I have the Aquaticlife fixture as well. It's awesome.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro Reef RS80

Bubble Magus NAC6

Deltec APH 525

Reef Octopus also makes decent skimmers.

A coralife SS65 will not suit your tank.

VtheMaestro
Those are fantastic books. Takashi Amano is simply awesome! Your build is inspiring me to upgrade my Aquapod 24 to a rimless. I had no idea Oceanic was making rimless tanks now?

yeah, the books are great so far. I'm glad my build is an inspiration. I had no idea oceanic had a rimless till I browsed thru the site. it was love at first sight

Did you already buy the T5s?

Those T5s won't keep you satisfied forever, although they are a good start.

yeah, i already ordered them from my lfs, but i can always return them. What do you suggest in their place?

Paleoreef103
yeah, the books are great so far. I'm glad my build is an inspiration. I had no idea oceanic had a rimless till I browsed thru the site. it was love at first sight

yeah, i already ordered them from my lfs, but i can always return them. What do you suggest in their place?

Something that isn't a G12 bulb as there is only a tiny selection of bulbs for that fixture (no phoenix, no radiums). They aren't standard DE or SE Halides so you are basically stuck with the stock bulb selection. For a 57 I'd go with a dual 250 MH set up or a quality 6 bulb T5 set up. A Tek 6 bulb (or better yet, the elite that is coming out) or an ATI fixture would be really good for that tank and I believe you should be able to order a 6 X39 sunpower for about the same price as that fixture.

I'm a little late to chime in but I would shy away from the MP20. The single one on my 40 breeder would have not been enough for any SPS (IMO) and the MP40 was the same size. No brainer. Have not had an MP10 so I cannot comment but from the specs it looks like 2x might suit you. I also like my Reef Octopus skimmer.

BTW, my LFS has a 57g rimless RR tank in their place. It's a cool little tank and I thought long and hard about it for a nem tank.

VtheMaestro
I'm a little late to chime in but I would shy away from the MP20. The single one on my 40 breeder would have not been enough for any SPS (IMO) and the MP40 was the same size. No brainer. Have not had an MP10 so I cannot comment but from the specs it looks like 2x might suit you. I also like my Reef Octopus skimmer.

thanks, i'm gonna go with 2x MP10es. Marine Depot has them on sale now. I better pick up my second one before they're back to regular price. I checked out the reef octopus skimmer today but it wouldn't fit into my sump. The Aqueon proflex i'm using is too narrow by a damn centimeter :angry:

Nemo Niblets

Check TB Aquatics for the MP10w ES. Make sure you order them wireless. TB Aquatics has a sale price when you put the MP10 in your cart.

T5s I recommend.. From least power to most power. Your tank is pretty tall, so more power can't really hurt.

36" 6 Bulb Tek

36" 5 bulb Aquactinics Tx5

36" 6 bulb Tek Elite (Not sure if the tek elite or the aquactinics TX5 is more powerful. Between these two, go with the Tek. More bulb options.)

36" ATI Sunpower

36" ATI Powermodule

The powermodule will put out a little more power than the sunpower. The reason being that it has better cooling. Also, the powermodule is lighter and looks a little better.

You would be fine with the Tek, but if you love SPS I would go with a little more power. I personally would choose the Tek Elite, but I reef differently than you I am willing to bet.

With T5s, reflector quality and cooling are very very important. It may not seem to, but it will increase the power significantly.

VtheMaestro
Check TB Aquatics for the MP10w ES. Make sure you order them wireless. TB Aquatics has a sale price when you put the MP10 in your cart.

T5s I recommend.. From least power to most power. Your tank is pretty tall, so more power can't really hurt.

36" 6 Bulb Tek

36" 5 bulb Aquactinics Tx5

36" 6 bulb Tek Elite (Not sure if the tek elite or the aquactinics TX5 is more powerful. Between these two, go with the Tek. More bulb options.)

36" ATI Sunpower

36" ATI Powermodule

The powermodule will put out a little more power than the sunpower. The reason being that it has better cooling. Also, the powermodule is lighter and looks a little better.

You would be fine with the Tek, but if you love SPS I would go with a little more power. I personally would choose the Tek Elite, but I reef differently than you I am willing to bet.

With T5s, reflector quality and cooling are very very important. It may not seem to, but it will increase the power significantly.

Thanks for the suggestions.

After much deliberation and research, I've decided on the 23-1/2" Ecoxotic Panorama LED fixture with a few extra stunners instead of the Aqualight Fixture. Power consumption and bulb replacement costs were a major factor. I guess the fancy skimmer will have to wait...

VtheMaestro

I'm waiting on the word from the manufacturer to see if the reef octopus skimmer can be modified to change its footprint, so I can fit it in my sump. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed.

In the meantime, I decided on a 1/2" return kit to match my mag 7 pump (i don't know what i was thinking when I picked up the 3/4" kit)

4448878324_6dacd351b0_o.jpg

VtheMaestro

I picked up a few pieces of live rock and some aquamend today. I also got a chance to take measurements of the inside of a stand similar to the one I'm having built. It's gonna be a tight squeeze; the sump is 30" long and the inside of the stand is only 36". :mellow:

VtheMaestro

I got my Hydor ETH in line heater, my Vortech powerhead, and an American DJ 8ch power strip today. Still waiting on my order of all black pvc parts from savco.

I was looking into the JBJ auto-topoff or the Tunze Osmolator. I'm wondering if a RKL with double float switch is a better way to go?

I'm open to suggestions...

VtheMaestro

I finally got my black plumbing from Savco. (plus check valve, pvc clips, and flex pvc)

4463099873_18e5e24b2a_b.jpg

I also visited Pure Reef in Alpharetta (beautiful store with great selection of fish & coral) and picked up a small Flame Tail Blenny and a Porcelain Crab

4463099897_716f20dec9_b.jpg

I've decided to pick up a RKL unit with all of the trimmings as well. Now this is getting fun...

VtheMaestro

i just typed the longest explanation of my current fuge/skimmer/pump dilemma until i realized... I DON\'T NEED TO PUT A REFUGIUM IN CHAMBER 2 OF MY SUMP!!!

I can throw the skimmer of my choice in section 2 (11\" x 9.5\") and put my return pump into the 3rd section (10\" x 9.5\")

This also means that I can ditch my mag 7 and look into an Eheim return pump. Say, a 1260 or 1262... What do you guys think? Do i lose by ditching the \'fuge? Is Eheim a better buy?

i just typed the longest explanation of my current fuge/skimmer/pump dilemma until i realized... I DON\'T NEED TO PUT A REFUGIUM IN CHAMBER 2 OF MY SUMP!!!

I can throw the skimmer of my choice in section 2 (11\" x 9.5\") and put my return pump into the 3rd section (10\" x 9.5\")

This also means that I can ditch my mag 7 and look into an Eheim return pump. Say, a 1260 or 1262... What do you guys think? Do i lose by ditching the \'fuge? Is Eheim a better buy?

Losing the fuge is not the worst thing. What were you planning on keeping in there? You can still add some macro to another chamber. I would definately look into the eheim pumps over the mags. I've used mag pumps and they are ok but run very hot and can be a little noisy. I've never heard anything but good about eheim. I'm not sure about the size, what are the two flow rates?

your avatar is hilarious! :lol: The heater was a no go. The sump is far more narrow than i anticipated. I boxed up the Fluval to send back in the morning. Someone suggested the Hydor ETH 300w in-line heater instead, so I went ahead and got that one.

Thanks for that advice. Is changing to the 14k bulb an electrical mod, or just a matter of buying a new bulb?

New bulb...no additional strain on pull. Only a spectrum that is output.

VtheMaestro

2 monti frags i picked up today. $45 for the pair. Yesterday's flame tail blenny in the background. The flash lit this pic, the main lights are off while they acclimate. I'm wondering when I can turn everything back on and bring these guys to a higher position. My meager biocube pc's shouldn't hurt them, right?

4466420742_55580b1909_b.jpg

actinics only

4466420576_6fb542908a_b.jpg

Yesterday's Porcelain Crab residing in his new best friend. What kind of Anemone do I have? I've never seen bubbles on the tips, so i'm assuming it isn't a bubble tip :P

4466420662_74a79aa970_b.jpg

actinics only

4466420600_733494b8cf_o.jpg

dont worry, pc bulbs will not hurt the monti's at all. remember, they are sps. altho very hardy, so they can do great under pc bulbs even long term. so move them on up! and im not too experienced with anenomes, so no can do sorry.

VtheMaestro

New and Improved Equipment List

• Glass-Holes overflow/return kit
  • Aquatic Life 36" Fixture = [(2) 36" T5 HO 39W 420/460 Lamps/(1) G12 150W HID 10,000K Lamp/(4) 1W Lunar LED's] 23.5" Ecoxotic Panorama w/3x 453 nm blue stunner strips, 2x 403nm uv stunners
  • Coralife Super Skimmer 65 Reef Octopus NWB 110 Skimmer
  • Mag 7 Pump Tunze Silence 1073
  • Coralife Turbo-Twist 3x
  • Aqueon ProFlex Model 2 Sump
  • Custom Stand w/Custom Side Cabinet
  • Hydor Koralia Powerhead 2x Vortech MP10es
  • Fluval E Series 200w Heater Hydor ETH In Line Heater

PLUS...

• Reef Keeper Elite 2 w/SL2 module, Double float switch kit
  • BRS 2 Part Kit w/2x peristaltic pumps

As soon as my stand gets here I can do my measurements for plumbing, handle all the pvc and device work, and get some water moving!

Any suggestions for how I should make the transition over from my BC29? I got one extra bag of live sand and I'll save some water from my next few water changes, but i was hoping i could just dump everything in and add some new water?

Looks good! You'll be happy with the Reef Octopus skimmer...I just dropped one on my 75g and that thing is pulling out some nasty stuff so far.

As for switching everything over from your BC29.....Your safest bet is to cycle your 57 and transfer after it's finished. If you don't you run the risk of losing your livestock.

VtheMaestro
Looks good! You'll be happy with the Reef Octopus skimmer...I just dropped one on my 75g and that thing is pulling out some nasty stuff so far.

As for switching everything over from your BC29.....Your safest bet is to cycle your 57 and transfer after it's finished. If you don't you run the risk of losing your livestock.

hmmm, sounds good. so this is my plan:

1. add new live sand to the new tank
  2. siphon out live sand from the bc29 and add it to the new tank
  3. put saved water change water into new tank
  4. add clean water to new tank
  5. add half of live rock from the old tank to the new tank w/new pieces i'm adding
  6. let the cycle begin
  7. when cycle is complete, add livestock and remaining live rock

thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
whaevclever

Nice tank. I just picked one up the other day. I need to get some lights for it. How did you like the aquaticlife t5 150w hid light? I was wanting to get leds but can't find anything in my budget? Have you put the Ecoxotic Panorama over the tank yet? And how do you like it? I was worried that the tank is 24" deep and I wanted to get a powerful enough light to keep a lot of the corals that require more light. This will be my first big tank. Wanted to get the lights right the first time. So I won't have to buy them twice. Thanks

Can't wait to see your tank up and running, I will be following your thread.

VtheMaestro

I had my son on good friday...

4514623224_a148f083f1.jpg

...so i haven't had a chance to update much, but i've been working on the tank and its going well.

Since last post I've:

-received and modded my ecoxotic led fixture (unboxing thread coming soon)

-drilled and installed overflow/return kit

-modded the aqueon filter with a 1.5" bulkhead to work in my system

-put out the call for a custom acrylic box to use as a refugium 9.5" x 5" x 15"

-purchased brs 2 part mix, pumps, and containers

-received the majority of my RKE system: double float switch, sl2, salinity probe, pc4 (waiting on pH probe and head unit)

pics coming shortly

I'm waiting on a new shipment of black pvc and fittings from Savco to recreate a couple cool things I saw on http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html. Then i'll be able to get this tank wet.

I'm also thinking about purchasing a RO/DI unit; there's a good looking one at BRS that I have my eye on. Any suggestions?

VtheMaestro
Nice tank. I just picked one up the other day. I need to get some lights for it. How did you like the aquaticlife t5 150w hid light? I was wanting to get leds but can't find anything in my budget? Have you put the Ecoxotic Panorama over the tank yet? And how do you like it? I was worried that the tank is 24" deep and I wanted to get a powerful enough light to keep a lot of the corals that require more light. This will be my first big tank. Wanted to get the lights right the first time. So I won't have to buy them twice. Thanks

Can't wait to see your tank up and running, I will be following your thread.

thank you, the illuminata is a great looking tank. I really like the aquaticlife fixture til i started factoring in the price of replacing bulbs. Over time, a LED fixture is much more economical, but its a much larger initial investment. I think the panorama will do great over the tank, the company website describes the zones that different corals can be kept in and you can add stunners to it to enhance the spectrum. A high end dealer in atl has one over a client's tank and he says it works wonders. If the power consumption, bulb replacement costs, and heat were not a factor, I would definitely purchase the aquaticlife fixture... good look with yours.

i love your tank and the design is AWESOME :)

thank you very much - stay tuned for updates, I'm switching into high gear

Archived