Cultivated Reef

Maestro's 57G Illuminata Rimless

VtheMaestro

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

I was reading through your thread after I searched "in-line heater" because I just ordered a rimless tank and canister filter and was wanting the same heater you had. I was reading along and saw "Optimum Aquarium", I live 15 min from there 0_o weird.

hows your tank coming along?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
bwoodward0012

great lookin tank. i really like your scape and the whole thing looks nice and clean. does your nem ever beat up on that piece of sps right behind it?

• 2 months later...
hey you the same Maestro that produced for lil' Wayne?...either way tank is pretty sick...

yup, that's me.

Wow, nice rockscape. :D

thanks. it's changed quite a bit over the year tho

great lookin tank. i really like your scape and the whole thing looks nice and clean. does your nem ever beat up on that piece of sps right behind it?

thank you. i haven't had any problems with the nem, i've re-scaped to give things more space

Updates on the reef? I just bought a Illuminata and love your setup.

pics coming soon. thanks.

I was reading through your thread after I searched "in-line heater" because I just ordered a rimless tank and canister filter and was wanting the same heater you had. I was reading along and saw "Optimum Aquarium", I live 15 min from there 0_o weird.

hows your tank coming along?

i love the in-line heater. haven't had any issues with it, i hear it click on with the RKE from time to time. I like that i didn't have to compromise space in the sump

That looks very very cool, I can't wait to see updates.

thanks. updates shortly

Im curious to see how that refugium turned out as well as how the LEDs are working for you

Love the clean design

the fuge came out great. i threw some big turbo snails in there to clean it up. i'll post pics soon

updates?
any updates?

on the way

Back with some updates. Pics of the Proflex sump and the custom MRC mini-fuge. The fuge is 3 sides black acrylic with a clear front for viewing. The back wall has overflow teeth. The box, which sits in the 3rd chamber of the sump leaving just enough room for the pump, is fed off a T in the return line and overflows into the return chamber. I'm not sure how much biological filtration it actually provides, but there's a nice pod population in there that ideally makes its way into the display to feed the tank. The macros and mangroves are doing well.

post-49400-1317089099_thumb.jpgpost-49400-1317089082_thumb.jpg

post-49400-1317089198_thumb.jpgpost-49400-1317089211_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have experience with the new magenta stunners from ecoxotic? I added 2 blue/magenta combo strips, but i'm thinking of adding about 3 more. Thoughts?

As promised, more updates. A full system shot showing the tank, sump, and side cabinet with topoff. The magenta/blue lights aren't on, but you get the idea . My favorite thing about my scape is that no rocks touch the glass, everything is securely stacked for perfect flow and viewability

6189976292_bafb9cf5a0_z.jpg

6189457367_d0ff38a322_z.jpg

6189975572_309c26676d_z.jpg

6189974802_85ac4af1fe_z.jpg

6189458337_8ee98451c7_z.jpg

6189977084_ea2e31e71a_z.jpg

6189976574_c239bd6ed7_z.jpg

Current livestock (besides snails/crabs)

-(some kind of really attractive) red fairy wrasse

-yellow coris wrasse

-yasha/pistol pair

-flametail blenny

-pair of kupang damsels

-pair of black clowns

Looking to ditch the clowns bcuz they bore me and bite me. What are some attractive free swimming fish i can add that aren't major carpet surfing risks? (no anthias, cardinals, sand sifters, or firefish please)

awesome build you have there!

love the look of the illuminata

You've aquascaped that tank really well!

thank you, thank you, and thank you

Current livestock (besides snails/crabs)

-(some kind of really attractive) red fairy wrasse

-yellow coris wrasse

-yasha/pistol pair

-flametail blenny

-pair of kupang damsels

-pair of black clowns

Looking to ditch the clowns bcuz they bore me and bite me. What are some attractive free swimming fish i can add that aren't major carpet surfing risks? (no anthias, cardinals, sand sifters, or firefish please)

anyone?

How about a pygmy angel for a new fish?

Since going salt i haven't had much luck with 2 flame angels or a coral beauty. I might try again, its not looking like i have many other options

Awesome aquascape

Thanks JDK

• 4 weeks later...
How about a pygmy angel for a new fish?

Thanks. I took your advice and went with a flame angel. I also added a nice wrasse, a starfish, and a mandarin. Everyone is doing great. Pics soon.

Love the tank

thank you very much. It's taken a backseat since I started my 7.5g project, I'm looking for ways to spruce it up

• 1 month later...

It's been ages since I've posted in this thread, most of my time is spent on my 7.5 pico build. Nevertheless, here's a pic I shot today of the tank in its current state.

6536160459_c320d82703_z.jpg

Archived