Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Maestro's 57G Illuminata Rimless

VtheMaestro

VtheMaestro
Now that makes sense to me. The fuge should be pretty nice, MRC makes some great equipment.

I love my 1073.40. I have had the tunze pump for well over a year, on a few differant setups. I bought the pump used for 50 bucks from a guy who ran it on a 90g corner for god knows how long. Great piece of equipment IMO.

Octo's are pretty good skimmers from what I've been able to tell. My nw110 pulls a lot of crap out, it just takes up a lot more space then your cone. I've got my heart set on an i-tech cone, but the octo like yours is probably what I will get due to my budget.

yup, i have my fingers crossed. I wish i would have looked for more used deals on this build, i bet i could have finished it all for half the price. the silence pumps are awesome.

The octo takes up a ton of room, but everywhere I looked said they did a good job. the i-tech is sweet, more money though

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks very nice really clean and neat setup. The only thing to make it cleanner is flush in the reefkeeper unit in the cabnit somehow. But very nice I like how you wanted to setup everything the way you wanted it so you went for the non reefready setup plus the satifaction of doing it your self must feel good and you know all the ins and outs of the system better great job and best of luck...

TheNordCelt

Looks awesome, i love the rimless look. I the only thing that could make it better would be if you took out the sump wall in your BC, take off the rim,drilled it, put it on the second stand and make it a display fuge, Just and idea, but why not when you've got that stand sitting right there?

VtheMaestro
Looks awesome, i love the rimless look. I the only thing that could make it better would be if you took out the sump wall in your BC, take off the rim,drilled it, put it on the second stand and make it a display fuge, Just and idea, but why not when you've got that stand sitting right there?

Thank you Patrick. that would be an awesome idea. I considered picking up a mr. aqua or ada tank for that purpose, but i don't want to lose the left side view of the main tank, and the second cabinet is a great place to sit and write or get on my computer. I may change my mind though - stay tuned ;)

Looks very nice really clean and neat setup. The only thing to make it cleanner is flush in the reefkeeper unit in the cabnit somehow. But very nice I like how you wanted to setup everything the way you wanted it so you went for the non reefready setup plus the satifaction of doing it your self must feel good and you know all the ins and outs of the system better great job and best of luck...

thank you. flush mounting the rke would've been a great idea. I should've consulted with the builder beforehand. Drilling the tank myself brought a lot of satisfaction. I really disliked my old overflow, this one is sooooo much better in my opinion

My 3 week old Brenton has been taking away my computer time, but i've been working non-stop to get 'his' tank up and running...

Once I got my main cabinet and side cabinet (with no-slam hinges and color matched stain) from Greg at Optimum Aquarium, I was able to do the measurements for my plumbing and to hang my light fixture

4561836846_a7846934bd.jpg

Mike at Glass Holes suggested a 1.5" drain so I drilled into the back side of the sump and threw a bulkhead in there

4561207681_8a929af8d7.jpg

After some research on Melev's Reef for ideas on my final plumbing, a couple freshwater wet tests, and a full drain of the tank to make it sit level, here's the finished product...

4561209469_a9a84a1a90_b.jpg

4561838746_f36f620d03_b.jpg

403nm and 453 nm stunners only...

4561839058_4fea73579d_b.jpg

Bumping the pics for people who like to skip to the end of threads without reading thru :P

Both cabinets are lighted inside; the smaller one houses my brs top off bottles, 2 peristaltic pumps, my top off reservoir, and my reefkeeper powerstrips.

4561209581_12e61bbbd1_b.jpg

The large cabinet is the base for the tank and houses the Aqueon Proflex model 2 sump, aqualifter ato pump, tunze 1073 return pump, reef octopus nwb 110 skimmer, reefkeeper elite head unit, reefkeeper sl2, probes, float switches, and vortech wireless drivers.

4561838850_2d3084c1d7_b.jpg

John at All Things Aquatic in Hiram came by to help design a custom refugium box that will be fabricated by MRC. It will sit below the left pipe tee'd off from the return, and overflow back into the return chamber of the sump

4561209699_4aa7595fb6.jpg

I got this idea from Melev; i can control the flow and dwell time thru the fuge, ensure that chaeto doesn't clog up my return, and keep pods in their place

VtheMaestro

i rescaped the tank today. My jawfish had been pretty busy digging up sand and i wanted to make sure that everything was stable. I took out all of the sand, redid the rockwork, then added the sand back in, minus a few pounds. This should be easier to clean and leaves less of the rock submerged under the substrate. I'll post pics in a while.

VtheMaestro
Awesome setup. That custom sump is sweet. I also like how your light hanging setup.

thanks man *whispers* the sump isn't custom though, lol. That's the Panorama stand mount holding the lights up. That lighting unit doesn't have a ceiling mount option yet

itsjusj0hn
Thank you Patrick. that would be an awesome idea. I considered picking up a mr. aqua or ada tank for that purpose, but i don't want to lose the left side view of the main tank, and the second cabinet is a great place to sit and write or get on my computer. I may change my mind though - stay tuned ;)

thank you. flush mounting the rke would've been a great idea. I should've consulted with the builder beforehand. Drilling the tank myself brought a lot of satisfaction. I really disliked my old overflow, this one is sooooo much better in my opinion

Bumping the pics for people who like to skip to the end of threads without reading thru :P

Dayuumm...The cleanest write up I've ever seen on here yet. I'm new on Nano-Reef and I haven't had much time to browse any of the forums here since school's gone into overdrive, but now that I have the chance I'd like to give major props to your setup. Attention to detail is stunning. Looks like there's still more to come.

VtheMaestro

Coral Morphologic strikes again!...

I ordered a few new rics from CM and my buddy Colin really showed out this time! He just did a take down of one of his mentor's reefs and sent a couple frags my way. I don't know what they are, so I don't know where to place them... I'll put them down low for now until I can get a positive ID. In-tank pics coming soon - stay tuned.

4598353013_037ea45c89.jpg

4598972134_45b36d85db.jpg

TheNordCelt
These are the tank's lights. Can anyone tell me what they equate to in non-led terms?

4598677735_97438d5a27_o.jpg

equates to badass

• 1 month later...
VtheMaestro
very nice tank.. did you get it from LFS or an online store? is it starfire glass by any chance?

my lfs ordered it from oceanic. i don't think its starfire, just low iron - hi quality. here's some info on it

How's the noise from the Tunze 1073.4 Return Pump? I was looking into the smaller model and was hoping it would be literally silent. Is it?

VtheMaestro
How's the noise from the Tunze 1073.4 Return Pump? I was looking into the smaller model and was hoping it would be literally silent. Is it?

yeah, it lives up to its name. it's the most silent pump i've owned and it puts out a ton of flow in my system

yeah, it lives up to its name. it's the most silent pump i've owned and it puts out a ton of flow in my system

Thanks. Good to know. By any chance ever used an Eheim pump? I'm currently trying to decide between the two for my sump. Everyone seems to rave about the Eheim.

Lovely build by the way. Been tagging along for a while

Edit: I actually just noticed that you had pretty much the same debate with your return pump on Reef Central. Useful thread. Didn't realize it was you until I just looked back at it. Everyone was screaming Eheim. Why'd you go with the Tunze?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived