Pod Your Reef

My first clam, Is it Gaping?

Maddevil1

So this is my first Maxima clam (got it on Sunday, March 14) and I am kinda confused on what gaping looks like. Is my clam gaping? If not, what would gaping look like? Here is a definiton I found here in the FAQ:

"Gaping:

Clams have an intake siphon and an output siphon. The intake siphon looks somewhat like a mouth and is a slit opening that is found on the center line off to one side of the mantle while the output siphon looks like a cone or rod. A clam is considered to be gaping when the intake siphon is open very wide almost like a tear. Indication of gaping vs. normal feeding would be not only that the intake siphon is open abnormally wide but that the mantle isn't extending normally and the shell is fully open. Gaping is caused by poor lighting, parasites, or poor health and if gaping continues the clam will not recover. Treatment should be examination for parasites followed by moving the clam to a higher or lower level in the tank depending on its proximity to the light source."

So what is confusing me is that my clam's "intake siphon" is open wide. Or is this normal and not considered wide. So it could be just "feeding" if its open wide? The mantle is extending normally and reacts to me just walking by or if a fish swims over it. So to be considered "gaping", the intake siphon needs to be open wide AND the mantle does not extend normally?

Thanks for your help! :unsure:

Tank Parameters:

pH: 8.0-8.2

S.G.: 1.023

Temp: 79.5

dKH: 9

Calcium: 400

Magnesium: 1450

Nitrate: 0

post-44019-1268748437_thumb.jpgpost-44019-1268748448_thumb.jpgpost-44019-1268748457_thumb.jpg

Looks great :) Did you happen to put a rock/shell under it in the sand? That way you can always move it and it doesn't attach to the glass bottom.

Looks great :) Did you happen to put a rock/shell under it in the sand? That way you can always move it and it doesn't attach to the glass bottom.

Thanks! Havent put a rock under it yet. I will go to the LFS this weekend and do that.

So does anyone know what a gaping clam looks like (for future reference)? Google searching isnt helping me. Thanks!

So this is my first Maxima clam (got it on Sunday, March 14) and I am kinda confused on what gaping looks like. Is my clam gaping? If not, what would gaping look like? Here is a definiton I found here in the FAQ:

"Gaping:

Clams have an intake siphon and an output siphon. The intake siphon looks somewhat like a mouth and is a slit opening that is found on the center line off to one side of the mantle while the output siphon looks like a cone or rod. A clam is considered to be gaping when the intake siphon is open very wide almost like a tear. Indication of gaping vs. normal feeding would be not only that the intake siphon is open abnormally wide but that the mantle isn't extending normally and the shell is fully open. Gaping is caused by poor lighting, parasites, or poor health and if gaping continues the clam will not recover. Treatment should be examination for parasites followed by moving the clam to a higher or lower level in the tank depending on its proximity to the light source."

So what is confusing me is that my clam's "intake siphon" is open wide. Or is this normal and not considered wide. So it could be just "feeding" if its open wide? The mantle is extending normally and reacts to me just walking by or if a fish swims over it. So to be considered "gaping", the intake siphon needs to be open wide AND the mantle does not extend normally?

Thanks for your help! :unsure:

Tank Parameters:

pH: 8.0-8.2

S.G.: 1.023

Temp: 79.5

dKH: 9

Calcium: 400

Magnesium: 1450

Nitrate: 0

post-44019-1268748437_thumb.jpgpost-44019-1268748448_thumb.jpgpost-44019-1268748457_thumb.jpg

def not dude!!

Nice clams!!!

Not my picture, but a good example of gaping. The upper margins are spread far apart, and the intake syphon is open all the way to the mantle (like a big round porthole).

5541_47cfe327cf384.jpg

Just an added note... clams can gape for a lot of reasons... ie; environment or light change, bad water quality, or even being touched/moved. Occasionaly, when I've accidentaly bumped one of my clams while doing tank maintenance, they will gape for a short period (I imagine them saying "DUDE!! Don't touch me bro!"). But the gaping stops shortly after.

It's continued gaping that should start sending up red flags.

reeftankguy
Not my picture, but a good example of gaping. The upper margins are spread far apart, and the intake syphon is open all the way to the mantle (like a big round porthole).

5541_47cfe327cf384.jpg

I thought this was gaping according to "rockfish" ?

IMG_9326jpg.jpg

2nd picture is gaping, mantle retreated and clam is still opened widely

+1 the first pic represents a clam that is stressed or feeding......not gaping

Hey Maddevil, what lighting is this clam under? It looks amazing.

edit: Nevermind, I just saw your 14g tank.

p.s. Can we have a full tank shot?

Very nice Clam, I keep telling myself I'm going to get one but keep putting it off. I might need to head to the LFS today and buy myself a payday gift.

Bruce

reeftankguy
I've never read anywhere that the mantle has to be retracted for it to be considered gaping. :huh:

If "The guy that knows nothing about clams AT ALL!!" can find it so can you :D

Archived