SaltCritters.com

T. Crocea in 10g

donteatthenano

donteatthenano

I'm very close to talking myself into ordering a juvi t. crocea clam. I know there is a lot of debate on the lighting and was wondering if I could get any help in determining whether a T. Crocea Clam can be safely kept in a 10gallon with a 96W powerquad over it. Does anyone have a success story or other that may help? Any pics? Thanks in advance.

Jason

I would Start with a Clam over 3" and as long as you CA/ALK is in line and you dose phyto you may be able to keep it alive, but it will grow even slower than they already do. Put it as close as possilbe to the lights. better yet start with a derasa and if it does well then go for a crocea. Just a side note MAximas generally need less light than croceas.

donteatthenano

thanks for the input. i DID hear that they would grow very slowly in the conditions that i have. the general consensus seems to be "no" on crocea under pc's. i really would like to have a crocea though since they are one of the smaller giant clams. my ca/alk levels are good and i DO dose phyto. i'll continue to research and collect feedback before i make my decision. thanks again jahkaya.

From all that I've read on various message boards, I would have to agree that keeping Croceas under PC's would probably not be a good idea. For whatever reason, these clams just tend to grow better under halides. I currently own 1 of these clams and it's doing quite well under a 250W MH pendant. As Jahkaya suggested, you may want to try a Deresa or even a Squamosa...they are still beautiful and tend to perform better under PC lighting.

Cory

I tend to agree that croceas do best under halide, as do all clams. However I always just go back to Brooklyn Johnny's reef and see that all his stuff kicks ass. That's why I just say they will live, but grow slowly. A powerquad over a 10 will grow almost anything with the correct water parmeters. Just place the clam in the rockwork.

donteatthenano

Thanks Jahkaya. I've been very deligent with my water params. I won't be getting the clam for at least another month so I've still got time to do a little more research. However, I'm pretty sure I'm leaning towards the T. Crocea. I'm going to check out Brooklyn Johnny's nano now. I've forgotten what it looks like. All I remember is that he's got it set up in his kitchen (I think). Thanks again for all the feedback from everyone.

Jason

Archived