Innovative Marine Aquariums

tyty's Miami Beach Biotope with Ocean View

tyty

Do you what spevies the blenny is?

The filefish looks like a Tassled Filefish.

Not sure on the Blenny yet. It has a spot like a hairy blenny, but all of the pictures of those that I've seen are a lot darker. It came from water that was REALLY shallow. I will try to get an ID or at least a profile picture of it tonight.

I'm pretty sure it is a female Hairy Blenny Labrisomus nuchipinnis Details here

I had one for a few months in my picotope. Cool little fish. Eventually carpet surfed :(

Based on the wild ones I've caught, they get big and mean, so I will keep an eye on it. It has left everything else alone so far. The filefish on the other hand is constantly picking at my snails, which is ok so far.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like the Hairy Blenny is a carnivore. The filefish disappeared yesterday, even though it had been doing fine, and today I saw the Blenny eat the Sergeant Majory Damsel. The damsel was swimming around in open water and became lunch. I can now only assume the filefish met the same fate.

I think I'm going to do some light collecting tomorrow. The weather isn't supposed to be great though, so we'll see. I'd like to grab some more tiny Sgt Major Damsels (Blenny Food). My purple plume gorgonian that I found washed up on the beach died after about a month of thriving with great polyp extension, not sure the cause.

Also I took some pics:

Nano Yellow Sea Whip from Sealifeinc, picture taken shortly after feeding with Reef Cleaners filter feeder formula

IMG_3293.jpg

Coral Banded Shrimp

IMG_3269.jpg

Hermit crab from reefcleaners

IMG_3299.jpg

johnmaloney

oh the hairy blennys....also a cool fish, with lots of personality, but mean as can be. not only to fish, but when they get hungry they can tear into inverts. Will leave your shrimp alone though. Maybe it why your other fish disappeared...

Small juvie Sgt Majors are fun. Do they have that mohawk thing going on still when they put up their fins?

oh the hairy blennys....also a cool fish, with lots of personality, but mean as can be. not only to fish, but when they get hungry they can tear into inverts. Will leave your shrimp alone though. Maybe it why your other fish disappeared...

Well, it looks like the inverts flipped the script on the Hairy Blenny... The serpent star grabbed the Blenny and made a meal of him this morning. I think the serpent star may be evicted from this tank soon.

Small juvie Sgt Majors are fun. Do they have that mohawk thing going on still when they put up their fins?

I suppose they look a bit like a mohawk:

IMG_3329.jpg

I made it out today before the storm and caught some new Sgt Majors and a few other things...

Here are a few things that I found today:

Anemone:

IMG_3328.jpg

Sea Hare:

IMG_3317.jpg

Mystery Animal, please help ID, it pulsates by opening and closing probably once per second. When I picked it up, I thought it was a scallop, but I've never seen a scallop move like that. The way it moves is more like a barnacle or pulsating Xenia.

Closed

IMG_3313.jpg

Open

IMG_3312.jpg

I also caught some shrimp that are still hiding, lots of blennies that I released, sally lightfoot crabs that I released and a decorator crab.

looks like some type of barnicle.... but whatever it is its pretty cool!

I think it must be a barnacle just based on the way that it moves.

I caught a lot of crabs like this one, mostly hiding in Caulerpa

P4110327.jpg

I think I found the local Blenny breeding grounds, they were easy to catch by scraping my net up against the macro algae growing on the rocks. I didn't keep any this time though.

P4110326.jpg

What are you currently looking for?

No idea, just seeing what I can catch. I didn't even snorkel today, I was just wading with a net. I was planning on getting some zoas also, but the batteries on my bait bucket died, so I had to head in to keep everything alive. You will probably lose it when you see pics of how I find the zoas, there is literally about a 1 foot high band of them out of the water at low tide covering every inch of available rock.

My chalk bass just ate one of the tiny Sgt Major Damsels that I caught today. Looks like they are on the menu for just about everything. To be fair, they are REALLY small, maybe 1/2 inch or smaller. Maybe I should just start thinking of them as food.

Good food FTW.

How are your small inverts not getting eaten?

The serpent star will eat pretty much anything it can catch or that I give it. I usually feed it either a whole cube of enriched frozen brine or a piece of frozen squid (that I normally use for fishing) about the same size as a cube. I do this about 2x per week. Now that the Blenny was eaten, I thought that the serpent star was the only predator left, but I guess the Chalk Bass has a new taste for damsels. I haven't seen it mess with anything before today. I am happy to supplement its diet with damsels though. I wonder if they breed seasonally?

What other fish do you want besides damsels?

It will just depend on what I can catch. It is surprisingly difficult. That is unless I run into something at the LFS that I can't resist :D

Mystery Shrimp

IMG_3341.jpg

Mystery Fish

IMG_3311.jpg

Sea Hare w/ Eggs

IMG_3351.jpg

Sea Hare w/ Eggs (water low since pump is off for feeding) the light was super bright with the water low and I couldn't really get a good picture, but the eggs are surrounded by a clear gel. Prior to seeing the gel, I just thought it was Sea Hare poo, now I think they are eggs.

IMG_3346.jpg

this tank is quite nice and i hope u dont mind me asking but here do you collect your zoas and othe animals because it may be the same spot i use. also barnacle is called a gooseneck barnacle. the shrimp looks like a sargassum shrimp and the fish is some sort of bait fish. :)

p.s. that anemone i think is called a sunburst anemone and i have had them before and they are pretty but split alot and seem to move a bit.

Thanks for the IDs. I caught the fish while catching damsels (aka live food), and thought I would give it a chance. If it starts doing anything I don't like, I will just send it home.

Sargassum shrimp makes sense, I was netting sargassum and ended up with tons of tiny shrimp that my fish had a good time chasing around the tank and eating. There were some bigger ones too that I kept.

Sargassum shrimp makes sense, I was netting sargassum and ended up with tons of tiny shrimp that my fish had a good time chasing around the tank and eating. There were some bigger ones too that I kept.

yah that is also where u probably got the sea hare because it looks like the type that live in sargassum.

yah that is also where u probably got the sea hare because it looks like the type that live in sargassum.

Yup! You have a PM

Archived