Innovative Marine Aquariums

Beeker's 200DD Par38 Reef-New Pics 3-10-11!

beeker

Absolutely stunning Beeker!! You should be incredibly proud of what you've created. Such diversity and color. I think what really makes it extra special is your use of gorgs and other softies to break up the sharp, angular shapes of the SPS colonies and frags. Any chance you could snag a short video sometime?

It's awesome to see what you've been able to achieve with LEDs. Makes me incredibly excited to start stocking my tank now that I have the LED pendant I'm going to use.

-Adam

Thanks to the compliments man they mean a lot

I'm such a perfectionist at heart i never see my tank as 100% but am always working towards that goal

I'd love to make a Video i'd have to figure out how to upload it but maybe tonight or this weekend i can attempt to get one, i'm just hoping my camera is able to get the color of the corals/tank/leds to be correct thats the hard part

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think constantly striving for perfection is what keeps this hobby interesting. Just when you think you have something just right, you see another coral or another person's tank and think of something else to try. It's great how technology has continued to push the hobby forward.

You could always upload it to Youtube, Vimeo or another free hosting site. The hard part will definitely by trying to capture the various colors.

Beeker...

This tank is pure sex.

Now upload a video of it.

Hahaha

you know what? i completely forgot about that Video, lol

i'll see if i can get one tonight or tomorrow man so give me till sunday to get it posted up since i'm not sure how long it will take me

kyle

Do you have any complaints with your DD tank? Anything you would improve on them? I'm looking at buying a used 150 DD tank to combine my two tanks.

Honestly the only complaint i'd have it that i should of gotten the 300g DD, lol

This tank is awesome you'll be happy with it i'm sure

i bought mine used as well with a reeflo snapper, i think i could honestly upgrade the return pump but for now it's ok

i think i'll just get another Vortech mp40 and use the return more for surface agitation than flow so i get some good shimmer from the lights

All in all i'm happy, the build of the tank is solid, the overflows are well made, the stand is heavy built and durable

Curious if you've noticed any trends with certain species/colors of stonies and whether they react better to certain color mixes (RBs, RBs+NWs, etc)? I know it's going to be highly variable based on tank conditions, height of light, etc but just curious if you've noticed anything in particular.

I'm starting to add several SPS frags to my rimless that uses an LED pendant and I'm looking forward to seeing how given species react to certain color and spectrums of light.

Curious if you've noticed any trends with certain species/colors of stonies and whether they react better to certain color mixes (RBs, RBs+NWs, etc)? I know it's going to be highly variable based on tank conditions, height of light, etc but just curious if you've noticed anything in particular.

I'm starting to add several SPS frags to my rimless that uses an LED pendant and I'm looking forward to seeing how given species react to certain color and spectrums of light.

I Have noticed this in my own personal setup it's the main reason why i shoot and tell people to have 4 different spectrums to acheive the correct coral color

it isn't to say that the correct color cannot be acheived by RB and CW alone though, but i've noticed youd most likely want 3-4 RB leds per every 1-2 cool white leds to get the proper color blend and to make sure there is enough blue influence to keep the corals from browning out

RB is great for purples from what i have seen, most of my purples are far more intense under RB than CB

when placed under CB purples tend to shift towards a cyan/green color sometimes, this can be positive or negative though depending on what color the coral started out as

green corals love Cool blue leds and if your looking for intense Teals and greens your best bet is to have cool blue and royal blue over them to acheive that color

i dont have a lot of neutral white over my setup but i do see a difference in less brown/yellow in the coral colors that are under these leds which makes them seem perfect when compared to the cool white leds that have to be heavily influenced with blue to acheive the desired color/effect

Rapid led seems to have made the PAR38 bulb that i would have gone with if i was to do it over again, i will eventually be changing out all my bulbs so that mine offer the same spectrums that thier new bulb does

there bulb Comes with 3 Royal Blue, 1 Cool Blue, 2 Cool White and 1 Warm White CREE XR-E LEDs, IMO this bulb will solve everyones color issues with LEDs as it provides all the spectrums without having more than 2 cool whites in it which is a good thing, i'm hoping to buy one of these in the next week or two to try out and see how i like it on my setup

PICS will be reloaded tonight or tomorrow as well as me trying to get a video of things up

Freedom014.jpg

Freedom001-1.jpg

Freedom002-1.jpg

Freedom003-1.jpg

Freedom004-1.jpg

Freedom009-1.jpg

Freedom010.jpg

Freedom011.jpg

Freedom012.jpg

Freedom013.jpg

Freedom018.jpg

Freedom019.jpg

Freedom025.jpg

Freedom023.jpg

Freedom024.jpg

Freedom027.jpg

Freedom028.jpg

Freedom031.jpg

Freedom030.jpg

Freedom029.jpg

Freedom034.jpg

Freedom036.jpg

Freedom035.jpg

Freedom032.jpg

Freedom033.jpg

Freedom041.jpg

Freedom037.jpg

Freedom038.jpg

Freedom039.jpg

Freedom045.jpg

Freedom040.jpg

Freedom041-1.jpg

Freedom042.jpg

Freedom043.jpg

Freedom044.jpg

PolypGardener

So tank looks great, but I guess I'll be the one to say it........dude, this is a NANO reef forum, this does def not fit the bill IMO, maybe more appropriate for RC?

So tank looks great, but I guess I'll be the one to say it........dude, this is a NANO reef forum, this does def not fit the bill IMO, maybe more appropriate for RC?

I am on Reefcentral i have the same SN on there as well

BTW this is the large tank forum so i think i'm where i should be? lol

My tank is not just a learning experience for me, it is to showcase the ability of me and my equipment to perform the job of keeping coral and other aquatic life alive, i post to give others an example of what can be done/acheived with the equipment i have used and if they are on the fence about LEDs my tank will hopefully give them inspiration to try them out as my tank has proven that LEDs are a viable component in reef keeping

So take from it what you can man, i read about reefs for over a year before i even started my first tank, and it takes people like me that are willing to share this info for others to achieve good results, even though there are a ton of ways to skin a cat it's good to see and read how others have skinned it before you

I plan on taking a Video of my tank tonight or tomorrow i will post it up as soon as i'm done

the Video will most likely be 2 Parts 1 showcasing the tank and the 2nd showcasing the setup/equipment

I also have purchased a NEW Rapidled PAR38 to try out, i hope to get it by friday i'll post up my thoughts after i have a few days to mess with it

gfy

Got my New 7 led Rapid bulb last night

First impressions is it's awesome!

Colorblend on it is perfect i'll try to get some comparision shots of it a 12k a 20k and my 2 custom bulbs this weekend

So far it looks like i'll be getting a few more of these to swap around with my 12k's but all in all i'm very pleased with the color and feel that i'll be able to achieve the rest of the sps colors i've been going for

now just to get another 4-5 of these bulbs, haha

About what kelvin temperature would you say that the Rapidled par38's are? I'm looking for something similar to a 14k phoenix MH bulb. How does the par compare to the nanotuners' bulb?

Thanks

About what kelvin temperature would you say that the Rapidled par38's are? I'm looking for something similar to a 14k phoenix MH bulb. How does the par compare to the nanotuners' bulb?

Thanks

Well my bandwidth with photobucket has exceeded and will be back to normal on the 8th so it might be a week before i get the video up and pics up

Sadly i have no PAR meter to test it with at the moment i really wish i did though

Hmm....when you ask me if it compares to a pheonix it is a hard question, i've owned the 14k pheonix myself and in a way i think the pheonix is a little bluer...but that isnt to say the colors acheived wont be the same or more intense with the leds as each led is putting out a good amount of PAR and each led is offering a different spectrum at high PAR

in the middle of my tank i think the PAR was around 500 at the very bottom it was 150, this was with 40 optic bulbs though 34 inches off the bottom of the tank (my tank is 27 inches tall), so you can assume with 60 optics the PAR in the middle would atleast be 300 if not a little more and it only takes a PAR of 100 or more to keep sps corals, leds offer plenty of light the main thing is getting the color spectrums correct

i was a huge fan of MH until i got leds so if you know someone local that uses them i suggest you check them out in person you will be amazed at the difference

leds dont look the same as a MH does in the way of being dim looking to your eye but still offering PAR, leds just look intense to the eye no matter what color they are which makes it hard to compare the actual color being seen and it is even harder to photograph correctly

i do have a pheonix 14k and a sunpod lying around, maybe in a week i will take a comparison shot over white paper to compare it to the Nanocustoms PAR38 and the Rapid led PAR38

Thanks for your reply. I am definitely going with either a diy led build or using par38's on a build that I will be putting together over the next 6-8 months. I hope to join you as an early adopter to help the community. Tank looks great. I need to get some pictures of the 300 gallon room divider that I build into my parents house as a headboard for their bedroom and a display for the living room. Thinking about switching that over as well.

Thanks for your reply. I am definitely going with either a diy led build or using par38's on a build that I will be putting together over the next 6-8 months. I hope to join you as an early adopter to help the community. Tank looks great. I need to get some pictures of the 300 gallon room divider that I build into my parents house as a headboard for their bedroom and a display for the living room. Thinking about switching that over as well.

Not a problem man, after recieving the Rapidled 7 led PAR38 i believe it is the bulb most people will like to go with, i have 20 nanocustoms PAR38s at the moment so i've done my fair share of led color/bulb testing, lol needless to say its good to know that you really only need 4 spectrums of leds to get good results, after i have the Rapidled bulb a month i'll have a better idea of the sps color it will produce/achieve and should be able to give a better opinion of it in the next few weeks

That sounds like one hell of a tank you should definatly post up some pics :)

PolypGardener
I am on Reefcentral i have the same SN on there as well

BTW this is the large tank forum so i think i'm where i should be? lol

My tank is not just a learning experience for me, it is to showcase the ability of me and my equipment to perform the job of keeping coral and other aquatic life alive, i post to give others an example of what can be done/acheived with the equipment i have used and if they are on the fence about LEDs my tank will hopefully give them inspiration to try them out as my tank has proven that LEDs are a viable component in reef keeping

So take from it what you can man, i read about reefs for over a year before i even started my first tank, and it takes people like me that are willing to share this info for others to achieve good results, even though there are a ton of ways to skin a cat it's good to see and read how others have skinned it before you

I plan on taking a Video of my tank tonight or tomorrow i will post it up as soon as i'm done

the Video will most likely be 2 Parts 1 showcasing the tank and the 2nd showcasing the setup/equipment

I also have purchased a NEW Rapidled PAR38 to try out, i hope to get it by friday i'll post up my thoughts after i have a few days to mess with it

wow. didnt realize you were a motivational speaker.

gfy

gfy? seriously? what a {()}

largereefs.jpg

So what seems to be the problem?

lol

Since we got a little sidetracked here i will bring it back

I tweaked my current dosage regime so i figured i'd post up how i'm running my tank now, i tweaked it because i had 2 pieces of sps STN a little bit

:Now i dose:

7 drops of Vodka only 2 days a week now, monday and friday

Pohls Xtra 2ml, i dose this only 2 days a week now, Tuesday and thursday

Elo's aminos i dose 2 drops a day and dont plan to change this it's been at this dose over a month now

Elo's pro skimmer, i cant say for sure but i like this product i feel it feeds my corals and gorgs well i currently add around 3ml which is about a 75-100g food dose daily

So far i plan to keep my dosages this way unless more stn appears

right now i've upped my photoperiod 30 minutes over the last 2 weeks i'm working to get my tank from 8 hours to 9 and taking out the 1 hour split i have from 5pm to 6pm, i'll see if this improves my color any in the next month or so

Boo bandwidth limits! I noticed this happened to me whenever I only have one photobucket account.

You may want to make a second photobucket account to keep the pictures from coming down so often, and just switch which one you upload to each time you post pics. That's what I do now and I haven't had a problem. Of course, you are getting a ton of traffic with multiple sites so maybe you have already done that!

All in all, I'm selfish and want to see the tank :P

• 2 weeks later...

Your tank is truley inspirational Beeker! I admire your "thinking outside the box" mentality. I am about to set up a GLA 12 gallon long and am still undecided about which led spots to go with. I have a Boost Par30 12k on my Picotope and while the color is nice, I was wondering about the new Rapid Par38's (4 color) also. Have you had a chance to photograph a comparison between your other Par38's and the new Rapid one?

Thanks

hey beeker,

I was just linking your thread to another person and i had an interesting idea. It started with the idea that you have many independent lights, and that you have a barebottom tank and then got creative...

Would it be possible/feasible to create, say, a cove shaped cave or outcropping in your rockwork, place a par38 beneath the cave/outcropping and then put some corals in said cave/outcropping facing the bottom of the tank? I am not sure that gravity influences the growth of corals or if coral just reaches toward its light source. Either way it could be an interesting effect. I guess it could be difficult to view the aquarium with a light source beneath it... hmm. just an idea.

Archived