SaltCritters.com

Nanomora?

Reefer_Buddha

hi kinda off topic but i was thinking about building something like this and i was just wondering what rpm do i need to cut through acrylic thats about (1/4) and inch thick? i was thinkign of buying a dremel tool to make some DIY stuff. any luck using one of those before?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reefer_Buddha

sorry guys but these are a patented product and i really dont feel like being in legal trouble for replication and violating a patent tryin to make and sell these. I made it for my tank and thats it. Ill give anyone that wants the plans to them for free but i wont make and sell these.

same here, very interested in the plans.

the part i'm most interested in is the collection cup, as the rest seems pretty straightforward.

Reefer_Buddha

Ok i know people have been drooling over the plans for this so i finally got off my ass and here are the complete plans. I didnt include the pvc and pipe fittings since its pretty much self explanatory. But im sure if people gripe enough again ill draw up those plans too :P Anyway enjoy.

very, very, very cool.

i'm just finishing up a canopy for my 10 gallon flatback hex, then i get to make one for my 60 (cat jumped through top-glass), and after that, i'll begin construction on one of these guys. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking at the dimensions of the skimmer you've laid out, and noticed that with a little modification, it could in theory probably be used in a JBJ Nanocube. I'm not positive, and I certainly haven't tested it yet, but you can thin it out, make it a little narrower, and modify the section where water exits the skimmer.

In fact, I think I might end up trying to make this myself for my own Nanocube. My plan is to cut out all the section dividers in the sump area, block off the intake screens, and cut overflow slits on the right hand side. (I'll probably put a minijet on the left hand side for water movement.)

The skimmer will be shoved all the way to the left hand side of the sump area, blocking the intake screens. I'll put two pumps in the right hand side of the sump area; one to power the skimmer, the other for return.

Water level inside the sump area of the Nanocube will have to be be at or below the water level line (blue) in the picture below.

Anyway, let me know what you think. Ideas, suggestions, criticisms are all appreciated. Please, also let me know of any design flaws. I'm still a newbie, so mistakes are probably inevitable.

PS: Please note that the only difference (other than dimensions) is the way the water will exit the skimmer: up, over, under, up, and then out. ;)

Reefer_Buddha

looks good it could probably work from what youve said so far. If you have any pics post em, id like to see it. Im gettin a 2.5 minibow for my office and ill be making a micro remora for it, should be pretty cool :P

creative concepts

Hello,

Nice job on the skimmer! I'm thinking about making a similar design with a few modifications that'll better suit my needs. Can you please direct me to where I can purchase those gray schedule 80 inlet tubes? Thanks!

Reefer_Buddha

those are actually in the electrical section that i found at yardbirds. They arent tapered like normal white pvc so they fit a lot better. They may cost a little more but are worth it.

creative concepts

Hello,

Thanks for the info and keep up the good work. If I'm not able to find them could I send you a payment including the shipping charges and I'll throw in a couple of dollars for your troubles. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

GRIPE GRIPE GRIPE GRIPE GRIPE GRIPE GRIPE......I want the schematics to the tube......im inept i need it laid out....and a name of these PVC parts so ii can bother the HD guy.....wahhh wahhh!!:*( .....that enough griping buddah?:)

Reefer_Buddha, sent you a PM with a question, but I'll post it here too incase I'm not the only one. What exactly makes the injector nozzle, how does it work, why does spraying water down through the little hole make tons of tiny bubbles? I'm really new to the idea of a remora skimmer so bear with me.

Reefer_Buddha
Originally posted by Reefer_Buddha

its formed thru spray injection. The input on the right fires a stream of water downward and that makes tons of bubbles. The collection cup in the middle gets the foam and water exits out on the right side.

Ballr, the pieces are:

1 90 degree 1/2" threaded/slip

1 45 degree 1/2" slip

1 1/2" threaded/slip straight connector

1 1/2" plug drilled for injector nozzle

1 3/4" 90 degree angle pipe for outlet

1 3/4" threaded connector for output connection

1 1/2" threaded connector for intake connection

1 1/2" threaded nozzle for pump connection (1/2" x 1/2")

speakeraddict

In the drawing you list the riser tube as 4 -6/8" do you mean 4 - 3/4" and is that the total length of the riser or is just to the bottom of the cup?

Also is 1" ID or OD?

Thanks

speakeraddict

Reefer_Buddha

4 6/8" is the total tube length. I measure by OD on that tube so 1" is OD. I rarely ever measur by ID

speakeraddict

I was afraid you would say that. I have 6 pieces of 1" ID about 15" long.

I guess I could use 3/4"pvc.

speakeraddict

Reefer_Buddha

you dont HAVE to use what i did , there's room for improvement. I dont think using a 1" ID pipe would hurt anything.

Well you inspired me. I went out today and bought parts and started construction. How do you think it would affect the design if I made it taller. Would I then have to change the dimensions of the acrylic pieces inside or could they be the same with more room at the bottom for water to collect? I'll try and modify your design to show you what I am doing with it.

Archived