Top Shelf Aquatics

Nanomora?

Reefer_Buddha

I would like to adapt the skimmer to fit into one of the chambers of the JBJ Nano-cube. I understand the concept of skimmers - but not this type.

Are there certain dimensions that are sacred? ie, distance from nozzle to plate, water level, angles, etc? I think with a little ingenuity and the new Micro powerheads, one could come up with one that would just slip into one of the chambers.

Is anyone able to help with the project? Looking for any input possible.

Paul P

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, Home Depot is one source but expensive in comparison. I am in the Saint Louis area and we have a local plastic distributor (Cope Plastic) that will sell you scrap sizes very cheap.

Look in your yellow pages for Plastics-Rod, Tube & Sheet. Call them and see if they have a scrap bin you can buy out of. They will also carry the chemicals you need to fabricate.

Paul P

hmmmm......... strange, I have had mine running for about ten hours and still I have no foam rising. I wonder if there is just not enough dissolved organic compounds in my water, however the sea clone 100 that I had on there originally was foaming pretty good when I changed to this one. I wonder if I didn't screw up on the skimmer.

Reefer_Buddha

give it time to break in. I dont know your bioload either. Sometimes i crack the lid on the collection cup to kinda prime it. It lets more pressure through. After the initial break in period youll get gettin lots of crap out.

I might have just completely missed it but did you mention what you used to seal off the parts to prevent leaks? Also any idea of the total cost of this project?

Thanks

rdmoore2

I spent 100 dollars on mine, but I bought a dremel tool also. total cost shouldn't be more than fourty, and that's if you go somewhere expensive for your acrylic like I did. I should have researched it more and found a better price, but I bought the first thing I could find. of course I already had the maxijet so that may add to the price if you don't have one.

Reefer_Buddha

i used weldon which is the best for acrylic bonding. For total cost with pump id say around 75$ for everything maybe less. Depends on the thickness you want for the acylic.

• 2 weeks later...
Bobby417919

Hey Budda,

i was looking through the plans and i was wondering how do you get the bubbles in the skimmer

thanks

• 4 months later...

I am new to the nano scene, but I had thought about doing a junior "XYZ" skimmer. ;)

I did a little design modification on the drawing to address some micro bubbles. I also think this would simplify construction at bit on the skimmer body. Baffle placement isn't necessarily to scale or exact placement either. The red markings is a pipe that would run to the bottom of the baffle. What do you think?

In addition to that, what is being used for the gasket around the collection cup?

I have not made it yet, in fact it may be a few weeks before I have time to touch it. Thanks for the feedback though.

I also need to find some clear tubing ~1" in diameter. I think I know someone with some 1.25" ID x 1.5" OD that would probably work. I do have some T12 bulb covers laying around, they are kind of flimsy though... but they are ~ 1 5/8" OD which would work... I think. Rather use acrylic though.

I will definitely post pics... which might not be for a few weeks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
RandomLetters

Ok in the process of building one now and im a little confused you list the width of the inside peices to 2 2/8" and 2 1/8th inch but the skimmer is 3 3/8th inches wide. Are in inside peices not supposed to connect to both sides? in your pictures they look like they do.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by TroyT

I sent an email to AquaC asking if they are planning on a nano skimmer and received an email back today from the president of the company. He said there is one in the works and the expected release was late summer to fall this year. So we shall see.

Any update on this?

Is this an external unit, or can it be placed in da water?

I'm gonna give it a shot over the next couple of weeks, but I'm far from haveing my tank set up and running. So, there's no way of me knowing how well it works till then.

Archived