inTank Media Baskets

16Gal Biorb Life 60 converting to Marine

KevKapawski

Hello and welcome,

I got the intelligent heater in each of my two Biorbs and the temperature is constantly at 25,5 C. Its a great thing because its low voltage which is more secure and it is small so you can hide it behind the rock. A plus is also the thin white cable that doesn't show so much..

Hey biorbian,

isn't the intelliheater set at 24.5? I may give it a go as have one hanging around. Just thought that 24.5 wasnt enough for marine?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wish i had found this thread before i started......i have kept the filter and ceramic media but added about 5kgs of LR.only been set up for 3 days so can change it,got a hydor nano 900 that i am going to add.also got 2 snalls that have come out of the live rock,going to do the first water test at the weekend

Just wish i had found this thread before i started......i have kept the filter and ceramic media but added about 5kgs of LR.only been set up for 3 days so can change it,got a hydor nano 900 that i am going to add.also got 2 snalls that have come out of the live rock,going to do the first water test at the weekend

Hey man, welcome, pretty new to this too!!

From what I gathered the filter isn't really neccessary if you have the rock/sand but I guess it wouldn't hurt if you wanted to keep it. Think a lot of it is to do with the effort of changing it and possible disruption to the tank.

Show us some pictures when you can :)

Hey biorbian,

isn't the intelliheater set at 24.5? I may give it a go as have one hanging around. Just thought that 24.5 wasnt enough for marine?

Hello,

Yes it's pre-set at 24.5 but can only say that in non of my Biorbs the temperature ever went under 25. It's always between 25 and 26.

Jens

To ensure your tank has fully cycled I would add either another small piece of LR or maybe add a pinch of food to the tank to see if it starts off another cycle. if your tanks nitrate goes up but the nitrite and ammonia decrease back to zero then at this stage I would do a 5-10% water change every 3-5days or so until your Nitrate is around 5ppm.

I added some 10 to 15 food pallets (from my freshwater tank) some days ago and checked the water again today. I get the same readings as before:

Ammonia: 0

N02: 0

N03: 10 mg

Either the amount of food I put in was not enough or the cycle is over? I used cured live rock, perhaps that's why there was no nitrite spike...? I will add some snails and hermit crabs this weekend and will post a picture.

Jens

Hello,

Yes it's pre-set at 24.5 but can only say that in non of my Biorbs the temperature ever went under 25. It's always between 25 and 26.

Jens

Thanks again Jens.... I'll give it a try, the one I have now heats the water to 26c even though it's set at 25 now!

Jens, I never seen much of a cycle with the rock I used so it's quite common.

Hello BigBad,

good to know, thanks. Today, I went downtown and bought 3 hermit crabs and 3 turbo snails. Amazing how they immediately started to eat the algea from the rocks when I put them in!

post-65056-1300570978_thumb.jpg

I also bought some purple up to help with the coraline algea gowth.

Next Monday, my new led light will arrive. I am going to post a picture then...

Nice weekend all!

Jens

KevKapawski

Hello BiOrb lovers!

Some good news in the house of KevKapawski. I have purchased myself a light and it is shown below :D

Its the AquaBeam 1000 HD Ultra Tile.It has 7x14'000k & 3x50'000k 405nm-750nm (CREE X-RE Q+) Driven at 700ma with custom optics. I even stretched to a AquaRay Controller so the light can be set to sun set/rise and night/day ect...

DSCF4762.jpg

DSCF4764.jpg

In process of attaching a sump to my tank so once done I will have some finished article pics again

:D:D:D

KevKapawski
That thing looks great Kev, looking forward to seeing the pictures of the whole set up!

Cheers mate, Had a few algae blooms over last few weeks so finally decided to add a sump and get the tank back on its feet. ordered all the parts, pump, filter sock, tubes and bought a new tank for the sump, will keep you posted on the progress!

Hows your tank going? Has your light arrived yet or is it next Monday?

Speak soon

Nice light Kev, does it fit in the top of the tank where the original light went, think I have read it does?

Yeah Kev, lets see some pics of it in place!!!

KevKapawski
Yeah Kev, lets see some pics of it in place!!!

Patience patience people :D

Tank is a little upside down at moment due to the sump project, but will take a few pics of it on the tank tomorrow when I get home from work. It fits the tank perfectly, all 10 LEDs slot into the lid opening, but only downside is at night alot of light shines from the sides of the tile but isnt to strong. Will put some pics on tomorrow...Cant wait to add some corals, I just need to add the sump so I can keep the Nitrates down and aim to keep mainly Photosynthetic corals. Just struggling to find a good tank stand to hide the equiptment.

Speak soon

Patience patience people :D

Tank is a little upside down at moment due to the sump project, but will take a few pics of it on the tank tomorrow when I get home from work. It fits the tank perfectly, all 10 LEDs slot into the lid opening, but only downside is at night alot of light shines from the sides of the tile but isnt to strong. Will put some pics on tomorrow...Cant wait to add some corals, I just need to add the sump so I can keep the Nitrates down and aim to keep mainly Photosynthetic corals. Just struggling to find a good tank stand to hide the equiptment.

Speak soon

Get to Ikea for a cabinet mate, i'm sure they have white gloss ones aswell.

Hmmm, you may not want to mess with it given the light cost almost as much as the tank but could you maybe use a marker to cover the edges of the light so it doesn't shine to the side?

Hello guys,

I got some news as well... finally my led light arrived today :) :) :) I plugged it in immediately and put it over the tank. The difference to the Biorb led is insane. I took some pictures but they do not show how bright it really is. I guess the automatic of the camera adapts to the intensity of the light, the hint of blue is not visible on the pictures either...will try to take some better pics soon:

post-65056-1300911188_thumb.jpg

post-65056-1300911583_thumb.jpg

The only thing is that the light gets reallly hot, so I will have to fix it in a way that it hangs over the Biorb rather than sitting directly on it. Also the color temperature could be a little more blue. I guess I will change my custom made LED units into blue ones...otherwise its great

Jens

post-65056-1300911176_thumb.jpg

KevKapawski

Looks very nice and compact... I had a looks at the exact one but as they are Italian they dont seem to have arrived in UK much so are really expensive. I think your tank will look amazing once finished.

Its good to see such a diverse range of LIFE tanks all going in there own directions.

Took a few pics of the my light on the tank, just not uploaded them yet and back on night shifts :(

Spent all day today making my Sump, got silcone on everything tho and I seem to have made a mess but it works perfectly! I even found some old 'Brilliant White Radiator spray paint' in my shed and decided to spray my £180.00 AquaBeam Tile and void any warranty or returns, why I asked myself afterwards. looks pretty good now tho. I even sprayed the plugs and wires to make them less noticable and it worked :D

Will pop all the pics on soon

KevKapawski
spraying ur tile.....what a nutter lol! nice one kev should match ur tank now, can't wait to see it.
I know, my hand was shaking as I was doing it lol... Browsing eBay and IKEA for a good tank cabinet. I should find one quite easily as the sump I ended up using was a cheap 15litre goldfish tank I got from Quality Save. It is absolutaly tiny, but managed to turn it into a little filter system and left space for a skimmer. Will draw up a sketch now on paint shop pro and pop it on for you to laught at :D

and here she is:

SUMP.jpg

In the left side that I have left empty, I will put a filter sock on the overflow pipe that returns from the tank. Also, I will add skimmer in there, heater and will do another partition once I know the size of the skimmer I will be getting. Finally I will add Live Sand to middle and harvest some algae to reduce Nitrates, going to use that par38 LED I bought before the AquaBeam for over the top...

In the right hand side where I have created a bubble trap/filter, I will have some Live Rock rubble, Activate Carbon and maybe a piece of Filter Floss or simular

Just got to work out an overflow now as on this tank it seems difficult.

Archived