inTank Media Baskets

16Gal Biorb Life 60 converting to Marine

KevKapawski

WOW :o i just got the same biorb and I feel like you just set it up exactly like i want mine to look like!!!!! It looks beautiful! :D I think i'm gonna need lots of help my friend! I really wanna add some live sand but i don't know how to do it, while keeping the same biorb filter B) excellent job edgero!!!!! keep posting man! thanks

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WOW :o i just got the same biorb and I feel like you just set it up exactly like i want mine to look like!!!!! It looks beautiful! :D I think i'm gonna need lots of help my friend! I really wanna add some live sand but i don't know how to do it, while keeping the same biorb filter B) excellent job edgero!!!!! keep posting man! thanks

Hi, I am total beginner in this hobby, I learnt lot of things on this forum, specially I did lot of things according this thread :) as you can see in attached pictures. I know some people interested in marine and I still keep asking them for some advices :)

I bought 10 kilograms of live sand and 5 kg of live rocks, put it inside with salt water, waited one week, then put there some CUC (i have just 2 crabs) after another 2 weeks ( I did it maybe after 1 week) put there fishes and thats it :)

do not forget to do not overfeed fishes and crabs, try to look inside everyday and watch if it lives inside, I have lot of worms inside of rocks. I bought lot of tests, every value seems to be perfect, anyway I will do water change every 10 days about 10% of water ... it depends from stocking ... I did first water change after one month.

I am planning to buy one more fish, and maybe some shrimp ... also some soft coral, but I am not sure about lightning, maybe I will add some light, I have some good idea with small led lights on sticker.

So if you need some advice just ask :)

post-58459-1287774710_thumb.jpg

post-58459-1287774823_thumb.jpg

post-58459-1287774840_thumb.jpg

post-58459-1287774872_thumb.jpg

Awesome! Thanks so much for all that info! hopefully i can show you guys mine, once i set it up 100%! :happy: edgero are you planning to add more livestock? if so, what kind? ALSO how did u manage to remove the air tube? thanks bro! keep posting! :)

Awesome! Thanks so much for all that info! hopefully i can show you guys mine, once i set it up 100%! :happy: edgero are you planning to add more livestock? if so, what kind? ALSO how did u manage to remove the air tube? thanks bro! keep posting! :)

Hi, yes I want to add bangai cardinalfish, maybe pair ... next week probably. I just added another live rock so I am preparing my tank for some corals :)

About removing of the airtube: I removed everything what was supplied with biorb live, as you can see on the pics, I think if you have enough live rocks and sand and you are constantly adding some bio bacteria and do water change then air tube with original marine filter is not necessary ...

I am waiting for your new tank pictures ! good luck :)

My 1st time back on forum in a while as I have been very busy...

I am stunned to see the progress some of you are making! Some amazing tank mods! keep up the good work. I will be visiting more often and hopefully contributing again :D

EDGEROOOOO any updates :rolleyes: ? i wanna see more! i see your tank is so clean, i was wondering, do you use any heater? and also, how do you change your biorb filter cartridges? thanks for sharing! :happydance:

Hi everyone, mind if I join the thread?!

I've been reading about everyones marine setups with interest and decided to have a go myself. I decided to follow Kev's setup which has worked perfectly.

So have removed the filter cartridge and packed it with live rock rubble; then I have put live rock rubble all down the air tube with breaks up the bubbles nicely and removes the need for an airstone. I've added about 7kgs of live rock and a Koralia nano pump which is directed into the live rock to hopefully aid filtration.

That is about it, I've always run tanks with filters before so am a little unsure of how well the tank will maintain water quality but I'll be doing weekly water changes after it cycles (am only 5 days in at the moment).

I already have some Triffids popping up so I think a couple of Peppermint shrimps will be my first addition to the tank!

post-59503-1289324821_thumb.jpg

EDGEROOOOO any updates :rolleyes: ? i wanna see more! i see your tank is so clean, i was wondering, do you use any heater? and also, how do you change your biorb filter cartridges? thanks for sharing! :happydance:

just added koralia 2 powerhead and notthing else it is little bit bigger then I expeced :) Next step will be fix live rocks and put it little bit backwards then I will add first coral and Bangai cardinal fish ...

Hi everyone, mind if I join the thread?!

I've been reading about everyones marine setups with interest and decided to have a go myself. I decided to follow Kev's setup which has worked perfectly.

So have removed the filter cartridge and packed it with live rock rubble; then I have put live rock rubble all down the air tube with breaks up the bubbles nicely and removes the need for an airstone. I've added about 7kgs of live rock and a Koralia nano pump which is directed into the live rock to hopefully aid filtration.

That is about it, I've always run tanks with filters before so am a little unsure of how well the tank will maintain water quality but I'll be doing weekly water changes after it cycles (am only 5 days in at the moment).

I already have some Triffids popping up so I think a couple of Peppermint shrimps will be my first addition to the tank!

post-59503-1289324821_thumb.jpg

nice, keep posting ... what i dont like is that big thermometer, put there anything smaller ...

sorry I forgot to answer ... No I do not have heater, at this time I dont need it. I am not changing filter cartrige, I removed everything what was supplied, also airstone ... as filtration I use only bio filtratiron based on live rock, live sand and water change and as many people wrote in case of nano reef is bio filtration better then other etc. with skimmer ...

• 2 weeks later...

Have now added 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x cleaner shrimp and 2x green chromis to my tank.

To be honest I was a bit apprehensive at first about running the tank with only live rock filtration; I've only ever run tanks with filters/skimmers before. However I am amazed at the water quality just running the tank with RO water and live rock! I'm testing the water daily at the moment and am reading zero ammonia and nitrite with minimal nitrate.

The only real problem I have had is when I added 2x cleaner shrimp; one I found dead the following morning right in the middle of the live rock so I had to pull apart the rock to get it out. Obviously any dead fish/inverts in the tank are going to cause an ammonia spike pretty quickly in a tank this size so am pretty paranoid at the moment!

post-59503-1290451308_thumb.jpg

For the thermometer I use the fluval e50 heater which has a built in temp display so does away with a seperate unit.For the pump I have the koralia nano but I think next time I'd go for the k1.

The only real problem I have had is when I added 2x cleaner shrimp; one I found dead the following morning right in the middle of the live rock so I had to pull apart the rock to get it out. Obviously any dead fish/inverts in the tank are going to cause an ammonia spike pretty quickly in a tank this size so am pretty paranoid at the moment!

Hi Mate,

Firstly, a big congratulations on the setup, its looking good and if done slowly you will have a lovely healthy tank.

I am sorry to hear that you have lost a shrimp so soon... Your tank will be up and down until its had time to mature. You can expect this for atleast 6 months. Personally looking back, I would have just stuck with the Live Rock and Live Sand for longer.

One tip is to get a handful of algae. not pest algae but algae's such as Cheatomorpha or Caulerpa.

Cheatomorpha is type of macro algae plant for marine environments that use the waste products of the fish as their source of nutrients. By growing this in your tank you will reduce your nitrate and phosphate levels, and create a much healthier environment for fish and corals to thrive in.

Also, look at encouraging coraline algae, because if your getting good coraline growth then your water parametres will no doubt be good. Look for 'Caribsea Purple Up'. I have used it and althought some say its just an expensive addative, one bottle for me and a well maintained tank helped me speed up the maturing process and maintain a healthier tank for my inhabitants.

Good Luck and take your time :D

Also check my Mantis Shrimp video

mannipic.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

New E27 Par38 LED bulb ordered and should arrive soon hopefully...will pop pictures + progress once it arrives.

Spec

Base type: E27

Shell material: High strength glass

Heat sink material: Aluminum, zinc metal alloy

Input voltage: AC 110V / 230V with reversed polarity protect

Output power: 12.0W

Beam angle: 15/30/45/60degrees

Dimensions: 129 x 120mm (Length & Diameter)

Reflector efficiency: 90%

Light source: 12 x 1W high power LED

LED input current: 300mA

Body temperature: <60°C

LED working temperature: <65°C

Color temperature: 6000-7000K (Cool White)

Source life: > 50,000 hours

Safety assurance: CE & RoHS

Low heat, no UV or IR light radiation

Color: Cool white

Not the most powerful in at '6000-7000k' but will do for now I hope :happy:

• 2 weeks later...

WOW :o

Looking good... I like the choice of fish, and the zoa and leather coral looks very healthy.

Whats do you plan on doing to it before you declare it a finished article?

I would say a few more low light corals and maybe a little red algae :D

Keep em coming!

Archived