Top Shelf Aquatics

Esabasard's 20L

Esabasard

I am dosing B-Ionic for dKh and Cal, I wasn't aware that it helped with Mg. I have been adding 15ml of each every night since the tank was setup. I don't understand how the Mg got so out of whack if B-Ionic helps to boost it also, unless I am adding way too little of it.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I purchased some DT's Mg last night and started dosing the recommended amount. I will check my mg levels tonight and see how quickly it is rising. I am not wanting to raise it too quickly. I am going to get a bottle of the B-Ionic mg and add it to my nightly dosing routine.

I retested last night, 2 times, and got 1290 and 1350. I now wonder if my original test of 1080 was even an accurate number. I should have retested to confirm right away, but didn't and now I will never know. I have been adding Mg suppliment, but according to the bottle I should have only raised it approx 60ppm. The math doesn't work out right so I am only to assume that my first test was bogus. This did however bring Mg to my attention and I will be checking it on a regular basis now.

Good to hear. Odd, I tested mine last night to a VERY low KH of 7 as well. CA and Mg were at the right levels.

• 2 weeks later...

Update, my heater failed on me a couple of days ago. It failed in the off position and the temp dropped down to the lower 70s. I put in 2 50W heaters and they are doing ok. The temp goes from 79-81 now, much more of a swing than before, but still acceptable, for now. I bought a Ranco temp controller and will be buying a new 100W heater to replace the one that went bad. I am hoping that the heater will last longer if it is not having to decide when it should be on.

I am losing polyp extension and my green birdsnest is not happy at all. I tested my water last night and everything was lower than I would like it to be. Ca 380, Alk 7.2 dKh, Mg 1280. I added a little more 2 part than normal tonight and some reef plus. I am not sure if the reef plus is still good though, it makes everything close up when I put in, maybe that is normal though.

Some pictures from last night. I am still unsure why the birdsnest is so unhappy, and the acro that was receeding is not getting any worse, and is now showing decent polyp extension. I will be much happier once it starts to regrow.

Unhappy Birdnest

DSC_7184.JPG

Unhappy Acro

DSC_7191.JPG

Setosa

DSC_7182.JPG

FTS

DSC_7216.JPG

as to the heater failure, multi heaters are safer than a single for this reason. just think if it had faild in the on, a smaller heater gives more time to catch the problem. while if one fails in the off theres still the other.

all heaters will fail its how there designed. the switch that controls them has a limited life span, both magnetic & electric.

I have purchased a temp controller so that the problem with the heater failing on is no longer an issue. hopefully by the heater not being in control of the temp anymore it will not fail off again like the stealth did.

I changed my MP10 from Reefcrest to Long Pulse mode last night. I only got to see everything for a couple of hours before the lights went off, but it seemed like all the corals like it. Plus they aren't getting blasted as much as they were before.

I am still a little undecided. I like it better than reef crest. I may try to adjust the settings. I like the idea of short pulse and an actual wave, but I would be worried that the water would spill out of the tank.

Changed my MP10 last night to short pulse mode with a small wave. I'm going to try leaving it like this for a couple of weeks and see what response I get from the coral. Also I have installed my new bulbs and have settled on:

Front

Blue+

Fiji Purple

Coral Light

Blue+

It is a nice blue color with a small purple tint to it. All the coral glow much more than they did with the stock bulbs. I tried it with a GE6500 instead of the Coral Light and the purple was just too much for me.

I made a slight change today and swapped the Fiji and Coral Light. It made the purple less noticeable, I am happy now. Here is an FTS:

DSC_7226.JPG

Front

Blue+

KZ Coral Light

Fiji Purple

Blue+

I put a few different looks on the T5 Information thread if you want to check them out.

I also made my wave a little larger and it is now about 1/2" from peak to valley. I will try to take a video one day, only because I think it is cool that it can be done.

Short video showing the wave I am getting from the MP10. Sorry for the poor quality, I just used my phone.

If someone can tell me how to embed the video then I will change this post. I don't see an option for it though.

Cool vid. There's no way to embed them.

I like the idea of the wave pulses, but I don't like that you can't randomize the wave frequency. I want random, unpredictable flow and right now reef/lagoon are the only options that deliver it.

I completely agree. I may not stay at wave mode, but I wanted to try it for a while. The real solution is a surge tank with additional flow inside the tank.

latteslave

That is pretty cool though... Agree that the reef crest and lagoon provide the most random flow.

Tank looks great! Light combo looks good too.

• 5 months later...

It has been over 6 months since I have taken any pictures of my tank. Everything has been growing, not super fast, but I am totally ok with that. I lost a few zoas and my Palmer's blue milli over the last few months. I am not sure why on either, but I am happy that it has been minimal. Here are a few shots that I took last night, along with the previous picture to show growth. Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures.

Montipora Setosa

DSC_7182.JPG

DSC_8710.JPG

Misty Blue

DSC_6482.JPG

DSC_8708.JPG

Pearlberry

DSC_7115.JPG

DSC_8713.JPG

FTS

DSC_8714.JPG

• 2 months later...