Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Having difficulties deciding on a salt

AkOndray

So I feel slightly overwhelmed as I will be starting my first Pico reef here in the next week and it seems there is so much that can go wrong. I've got most of my tank planned out but I can't decide on which salt to use. It seems as though everyone recommends something different than the person before them. Also, do most of you buy your RO water since you won't need as much in a Pico? Or do you buy filters to filter your tap water from home.

Thanks

Ashton

i've heard most people say they use tropic marin salt. And , i use bought water. For a pico, thats what i would do too

Never used Tropic so I can't comment on that. Oceanic is a decent salt, but makes a VERY good salt when mixed 50/50 with IO. For the last 2 or 3 years I have been using RC.

personally i'm, what?, +4 for TropicMarin and and i have an RO/DI...

Salt Study 1

Salt Study 2

Salt Study 3

Salt Study 4

i might get flamed for posting these... as they are hotly debated... but i'm a fan of "the more information the better"... although there is such a thing as info overload (esp. when, like these links, none of the info is standardized). and some of this info is dated.

there are lots of "best salt threads" out there

logic flawed as it may be... my goal was to get as close to NSW as possible... accepting that more buffering capacity and more Ca would likely be a good thing.

i arrived at TMProReef.

others have arrived at other salts:

D2Ocean is popular, as is RC and IO

Brightwell's got a lot of press/talk... but seems to have kinda fizzled???

cheers...

Brightwell's got a lot of press/talk... but seems to have kinda fizzled???

cheers...

Brightwell is a good salt but i have to add a bunch to it.

A fresh mixed batch gets me 390 8.6 and 1200

I was hoping for more like 450 9-10 and 1350

I think im going to be trying DD-H2Ocean next time.

New reef crystals formula looks nice, but i've seen people getting tests of 13 for alk.

Archived