Cultivated Reef

#### you Reef Keeper Temp Probe

StevieT

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

exactly why I dont have a tank at work or buy the fancy equipment. No vortechs for me and definitely no controller. Hope all is well

Well that is nifty. Jeeze... Had you known that before you would have avoided this whole mess. They should have that as a reccomendation in the instruction manual when setting up the temp probe to function as a temp controller.

Yeah no kidding! I set my heater at 82 but the controller is set to turn it off at 80. With a failure of the probe the tank will only to 82 and not 60!

Water is milky white, ugly and sad. Some corals starting to pop out water is at 76

That sounds like you would have a chance of cooking the tank....which may be worse

Not with a standard heater that has it's own thermostat. I would never use a heater made for a controller in a reef tank, it would cook it badly.

Tomorrow after the temp stabilizes. Still too cold to do one today, they went through enough. What do you think it is, just coral slime and toxins from being pissed off? Will chemi-pure elite fix my problem?

Tomorrow after the temp stabilizes. Still too cold to do one today, they went through enough. What do you think it is, just coral slime and toxins from being pissed off? Will chemi-pure elite fix my problem?

I would certainly run chemipure or some form of chemical filtration if you aren't going to do a water change. Those corals are going to be producing a bunch of mucus and aggressive chemicals because they are unhappy. Letting that soup of coral hatred sit in there can make matters worse.

Don't you sell chemi pure - elite? You should know. Also, aren't you the first one to pop off and say it cures cancer when someone asks a serious question about chemi-pure. WTF? Karma!

Maybe an option after this event. My only worry is that I can't send out the data because of our server firewall or security here at work. $119 isn't too bad but how much more money is this tank going to suck up :lol:

very sorry to here this, steve. even without having a controller, i live in constant fear of my electronic equipment failing. There are so many things that can go wrong, resulting in livestock loss for one thing, but also flooding and fire. :(

i wonder if DA would be willing to "compensate" you by offering you a free remote monitoring system (NET module?), or at least a heavily discounted one? Would be worth asking, at least.

StevieT just asked if chemipure elite will cure his problem? my world just fell apart.

So you mean chemi-pure won't fix my temperature problem? :(

I would certainly run chemipure or some form of chemical filtration if you aren't going to do a water change. Those corals are going to be producing a bunch of mucus and aggressive chemicals because they are unhappy. Letting that soup of coral hatred sit in there can make matters worse.

I run Chemi-pure elite 24/7 to avoid the cancer. But it didn't work to stabilize temperatures, lets see what it can do to the milky white dry water

Don't you sell chemi pure - elite? You should know. Also, aren't you the first one to pop off and say it cures cancer when someone asks a serious question about chemi-pure. WTF? Karma!

I sell a dream my friend. A hope for a better tomorrow, a hope for a warmer tank and more chemi-pure for all.

As you can tell I threw the CP comment in there for fun, laughing is better than crying about my tank right now.

not_sponsored

Actually most of the stuff you took pics of look fine to me, a little stressed but noting on the verge of death. Good luck with the recovery.

Man that sucks. I have an Aquacontroller Apex and everyday I look at the temperature readings on my Apex probe, chiller and a thermometer in my sump to double check they all read pretty much the same. They are all digital so I think I will put one of those cheap mercury ones in the sump as well to make sure. I had one in there before but I'm using it for my water change container. I've had pH probes fail on me before but never temp probes. Yeah I don't trust the probes. I actually have two pH probes intalled in my Apex right now and they both read differently. One is .3 higher than the other. One is from Neptune Systems (stock probe which reads .3 lower even after calibration) and one from Milwaukee. I figured as long as both stay in range I should be fine. Lol. I'm just waiting for the day the Neptune Systems probe fails and replace it with one from the Milwaukee. The Neptune ones have failed on me before but not the Milwaukee probe.

Anyway, good luck with the tank. Hopefully it recovers. I love the Bring It On reference by your Mandarin. Lol. BTW, my brother in law is looking to buy your Intank Biocube 29 filtration/fuge/fish saver package within the next week or so. Do you still have them available if we order it on your website?

So you mean chemi-pure won't fix my temperature problem? :(

I run Chemi-pure elite 24/7 to avoid the cancer. But it didn't work to stabilize temperatures, lets see what it can do to the milky white dry water

I sell a dream my friend. A hope for a better tomorrow, a hope for a warmer tank and more chemi-pure for all.

As you can tell I threw the CP comment in there for fun, laughing is better than crying about my tank right now.

Right on,

I decided to pick up that habit with the new aquarium to avoid as much cancer as possible lol...

Yikes. Looks like a 50% water change and some carbon wouldn't hurt.

Hope everybody makes it.

EDIT: And maybe a 3 dollar glass thermometer in the HOB or Fuge...they are pretty reliable.

Do you still have them available if we order it on your website?

inTank you. Yeah put in the order. The stocking will show backordered for at least another week or two but that doesn't mean that all orders are not shipping. I had a HUGE rush of orders post Christmas and we are working as much as possible to keep up. A new batch of fish savers just got done, media baskets and fuge baskets will be complete in a few days.

That sounds like you would have a chance of cooking the tank....which may be worse

How?

The heater has a thermostat in it too.

Set it for 81.

Time to think about getting the NET module ordered.

LFS guy was playing with his this morning.

His MH timers were borked.

Maybe the older units had a 1/10/10 bug or something.

Mine is fine. December 31 2011 I'm unplugging mine. It might explode. Frikken Mayans!?!

Yikes. Looks like a 50% water change and some carbon wouldn't hurt.

Hope everybody makes it.

EDIT: And maybe a 3 dollar glass thermometer in the HOB or Fuge...they are pretty reliable.

I have a back up thermometer but that wasn't the problem. The problem is that my RK tells my heater to turn on and off. So if their probe fails so does my my entire tank. It also didn't help that this happened on the weekend when I am not around the aquarium.

Wow. That's insane. Good luck on your recovery.

Let us know how this little unintentional science experiment on temperature depletion goes.

I was thinking to myself on getting a backup heater and setting it at like 70ish just to keep some stuff moving.

Very very ####ty to hear. I hope everything pulls through.

It's not always fancy technology that can fail. A few years ago I lost 90% of my livestock due to a Circuit breaker going bad in the middle of the night. Looking at the mechanical timer I knew the power was off for 8.5 hours. In the middle of winter (house at 65* F) that was long enough to kill everything but an occelaris clown and a sixline. I lost most of my livestock because of a $3 15A breaker.

How?

The heater has a thermostat in it too.

Set it for 81.

Time to think about getting the NET module ordered.

LFS guy was playing with his this morning.

His MH timers were borked.

Maybe the older units had a 1/10/10 bug or something.

Mine is fine. December 31 2011 I'm unplugging mine. It might explode. Frikken Mayans!?!

I ment if using a heater without a built in temp shut off ;-). That would cook your tank if it kicked on when the monitor throws an error.

http://www.digitalaquatics.com/saltwater/RKM-NET

RKL can blow up your phone with texts at 3am sunday morning next time this happens.

Only really useful if you have access to the building 24/7 though...

Which would be nice and I do have access to the building. My only concern is will it work with our server/security as far as outgoing over the network. I do not know what ports this has to run on and if our network will let it.

Mine is a RK2 I have 2 on my tanks and I had the same thing happen to mine . Dropped to 56* and the only answer I got from them is oh well , they would not even replace the probe for me nope I had to pay full price and have it overnighted total cost was like $70 bucks they would not even send one out from there for me I had to go to a diffrent retailer for it , I ended up ordering 2 as to help with some of the damage so that I would always have a back up , My lights were turning off and on and the temp read the same as yours ..... (between 114 - 116 ) Their customer service is a bit lacking for a decient and helpful product but nothing takes away from the daily look and seperate temp probe Good luck getting any help with them :(

Archived