Coral Vue Hydros

Brightwell Coral Amino

reefer916

Find out if this stuff is really responsible or not.

To recap, been off of it for 1 full week and only a few days of use the week before from daily use. Here are some pics of trouble sps. Gone and going brown.

I will start to re-dose the BCA hopefully this weekend and take new pics of these same a week and 2 weeks later. I will make no other changes to the tank so this should at least tell me whether the product lives up to its claim or not.

20longvid863.jpg?t=1268268513

20longvid850.jpg?t=1268268534

20longvid836.jpg?t=1268268556

20longvid827.jpg?t=1268268574

20longvid822.jpg?t=1268268595

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started adding this stuff last night. I have a tri-color acro turning brown and an unhealthy strawberry shortcake frag that I want to revive. Everything else looks great except these two. I'll share my results after a couple of weeks. Btw, does anybody know how much to dose for a 120g tank? From my calculations from the instructions, I should be dosing 2.4ml a day. Is that correct?

I started adding this stuff last night. I have a tri-color acro turning brown and an unhealthy strawberry shortcake frag that I want to revive. Everything else looks great except these two. I'll share my results after a couple of weeks. Btw, does anybody know how much to dose for a 120g tank? From my calculations from the instructions, I should be dosing 2.4ml a day. Is that correct?

It says on the bottle not to sound like a jerk.It also says not to add more than so many mils the first week or month or something.I started with half the recommended dosage and then the next week bumped it up.

I do 10 drops a day for my 24 gallon, so 40-50 drops should be fine. Not sure what that comes out to ml's..

It says on the bottle not to sound like a jerk.It also says not to add more than so many mils the first week or month or something.I started with half the recommended dosage and then the next week bumped it up.

Did you even read my whole post? I know it says it on the instructions. I'm just trying to confirm it. Instructions says 1ml per 50g and not to add more than 5ml per 50g. So from my calculations it's 2.4 ml. I'm just asking if it's correct. All you had to do is say yes or no. :rolleyes:

I do 10 drops a day for my 24 gallon, so 40-50 drops should be fine. Not sure what that comes out to ml's..

Thanks. I actually didn't have a measuring cup the first night so I just added about 20 drops since I remembered you saying you put 10 drops in. I didn't want to put too much. I just found an extra measuring cup from my B-ionic that I have not used so I used that last night.

Just got mine in the mail today so I will be starting it again.

guia x, that is about what I figure the dosage also.

I will be using 10 drops per 25gls for the first week and then maybe increase if no algae problems.

Since I had run out before i noticed that the small amount of cyano that would pop up here and there had gone away entirely so I will be watching close now.

Did you even read my whole post? I know it says it on the instructions. I'm just trying to confirm it. Instructions says 1ml per 50g and not to add more than 5ml per 50g. So from my calculations it's 2.4 ml. I'm just asking if it's correct. All you had to do is say yes or no. :rolleyes:

Yes I read your whole post. But I did not have the bottle in front of me to do the calculationsI read the bottle to make sure your dosage per gallon was correct. As soon as I got home I rushed in the door and went to get my calculator to do the simple math for you.So YES

Carlton'sTank

Well, it has been just over three weeks and I am satisfied with the product. I do notice that some nuisance algae has been popping up where it was not before. I have kept my dosage at an easy and simple 10 drops per day in my 37 display w/10 gallon sump. As I stated before, there are many variables to the health of my corals but I feel this product has contributed a good amount. I need to dig through some pictures to get some before and afters.

I just picked up a bottle and started dosing this in my pico, we'll see what happens. My ato reservoir lasts about 5 days and I put 5 drops of coralamino in there yesterday.

I'm curious if the people who are reporting success are running chemipure or any other kind of carbon in their tank though, amino acids are organic compounds and activated carbon will remove them quite effectively. I'm running chemipure elite and am considering removing it for the time being...

I just picked up a bottle and started dosing this in my pico, we'll see what happens. My ato reservoir lasts about 5 days and I put 5 drops of coralamino in there yesterday.

I'm curious if the people who are reporting success are running chemipure or any other kind of carbon in their tank though, amino acids are organic compounds and activated carbon will remove them quite effectively. I'm running chemipure elite and am considering removing it for the time being...

Instructions say to stop skimmer and filtration for 15 minutes. I am sure that applies to carbon and the like.

You would probably be wasting the product if you left the carbon in place/filtration activated unless you overdosed, but what would be the amount you would need to overdose to achieve the same results as just turning off skimmer/removing media would be any ones guess.

Bird, what are your water parameters? How many fish? How heavy feeding? What equipment?

Pretty much all that is in my build thread link in my signature

disaster999

i did notice a lot of algae growth on my tank after dosing this stuff, im almost done with the bottle in my 100gal system.

as for growth and color, i cant really tell from my sps. they all look the same to me. nothing really changed much. but then, i havent been dosing everyday, since i dont have the time to.

right now the algae in my tank has to go, so after this bottle ill stop and start doing something about the algae.

i did notice a lot of algae growth on my tank after dosing this stuff, im almost done with the bottle in my 100gal system.

as for growth and color, i cant really tell from my sps. they all look the same to me. nothing really changed much. but then, i havent been dosing everyday, since i dont have the time to.

right now the algae in my tank has to go, so after this bottle ill stop and start doing something about the algae.

None of my business really but maybe take care of the algae now before it gets any more out of hand.

With a reef you HAVE to make time for it or one day it will sneak up on you and you will find it more of a nightmare than a pleasure. This happens to many pple. It takes time, patience and lots of scrutinizing, research and work to maintain a top notch reef tank, especially a nano size.

Basically, you are going to get out of it what you put into it.

You probably already know this though. You just need a good whoopin to get you back in line. ;)

Looking at your tank build though, you may be exaggerating a bit about an algae problem. Doesn't look too bad at all. A few spots here and there.

disaster999

pictures are from a month ago, ill take some update pics sometime tonight or this week to show how much the algae grew.

pictures are from a month ago, ill take some update pics sometime tonight or this week to show how much the algae grew.

So do you guys turn your skimmers and take out your carbon when doseing...if so how long do you leave it out..

Just got mine in the mail today so I will be starting it again.

guia x, that is about what I figure the dosage also.

I will be using 10 drops per 25gls for the first week and then maybe increase if no algae problems.

Since I had run out before i noticed that the small amount of cyano that would pop up here and there had gone away entirely so I will be watching close now.

Thanks. I have some spots of cyano mostly in spots that don't have much flow and in between the glass and sand but that has been there before I started to dose. I hope it does not get worse. I have been doing more regular water changes so hopefully it starts going away.

Yes I read your whole post. But I did not have the bottle in front of me to do the calculationsI read the bottle to make sure your dosage per gallon was correct. As soon as I got home I rushed in the door and went to get my calculator to do the simple math for you.So YES

I still can't tell if you're being a jerk but thanks. :D

So do you guys turn your skimmers and take out your carbon when doseing...if so how long do you leave it out..

I turn off my skimmer, return pump, BRS reactor holding Seachem Matrix, and my Phosban reactor holding Biopellets for an hour.

Anyway, going for five days and have not noticed too much changes. I have been monitoring only a couple corals. My Tricolor that browned out and a strawberry shortcake frag that I ordered that's a little bleached and lost its color. The Tricolor seems like it's getting a tiny hint of it's color back and the strawberry shortcake is showing a little more polyp extension. It could just be my mind being too optimistic.

Here are some updated pics of my 24 AP. I've been dosing 10 drops per day since Dec. 15th of last year. I don't really have any pics of any before dosing, but I've been really happy with the outcome. My sps, acans, zoa's, virtually every coral has colored up nicely and are growing like weeds. Including the xenia, which I've had to completely pull out of my tank because it's like steriods for them. The only lighting I have is a Sunpod 150 watt 14k Aquamaxx bulb. I would say that it took about 4 weeks before I saw any real noticable results.

I have had more algae growth on my powerheads, which is a little weird because it really hasn't increased elsewhere. I'm not running a skimmer and have a bag of carbon and phosban sitting on my two filter pads. I do daily to every other day 1-2 gallon water changes and a 4 gallon weekly water change. Yes, people think I'm crazy:) That's pretty much it. I do feed arctipods, oyster, phyto, and roti feast daily in small quanities about an hour before my water changes. Mysis is fed to my LPS and palys every other day. The fish get what ever's left over.

Sorry about the messy pics. I took them after I fragged a bunch of corals a few weeks ago.

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv202/n.../IMG_1267-1.jpg

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv202/n...16/IMG_1273.jpg

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv202/n...16/IMG_1261.jpg

Chris

acropora1981

I was dosing about 8 drops per day in my 28g, but I was getting some algae issues, so I've dropped down to about 5 drops 3x a week. Algae on glass has decreased markedly, and cyano has gone away. However, I can't be sure it was the Aminos, because the tank is only 2 months old (and thus prone to algae), I upgraded my skimmer to a Deltec, added a phosban reactor and started using Purigen and phosban, plus I have reduced my rotifer feedings to 2x a week, and mysis to 4x a week from 4x and 7x respectively. Sooo...it could be a lot of things lol

disaster999

i turn off the skimmer as per instructions, but left my carbon in the tank. the bottle didnt tell me to, its just dosing some amino acid in the tank, its nothing chemical or medication, so i dont see the point of removing carbon

Amino acids definitely are chemical compounds. AFAIK activated carbon removes all organic compounds and will remove amino acids very effectively. I'm not sure why it says nothing on the bottle, I suspect it has something to do with Brightwell selling carbon though...

Nano sapiens
anyone know how it affects nuisance pests like aiptasia and colonial hydroids?

I used this product for around 3 weeks and I noticed more hydroids. However, without a controlled test I can't say for sure that this product spurred the growth.

been a week today since I started redosing.

I can't really say for sure, but they might be stating to gain some color back

20longvid1081.jpg?t=1269136874

Still love those Sunny D's...Got my Aztecs growing out some more, so give me a few weeks.. I just got a ORA Miami Orchid, ORA Pearlberry, and ORA Roscoe frag in a trade. All three are browned out, but have good polyp extension. I'll try to get some pics now and give them a few weeks to see what they do in my tank. So far every bleached out and browned out coral I've gotten before has colored up nicely. I'll keep you guys updated.

Archived