Top Shelf Aquatics

Brightwell Coral Amino

reefer916

not saying that what you're seeing is fake or anything, but corals have alot better coloration in top down shots...itd be better to get two of the same angles that way we can see the clear difference. btw i see that you have a bit of algae, how is the growth of the algae along with the brightwell coral amino?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nanoreefer21
not saying that what you're seeing is fake or anything, but corals have alot better coloration in top down shots...itd be better to get two of the same angles that way we can see the clear difference. btw i see that you have a bit of algae, how is the growth of the algae along with the brightwell coral amino?

I'll try to get a front shot to match the one from earlier. I actually had the algae before and it's slowly starting to go away now. While dosing it I noticed that it was receding at the same pace. The only other thing I noticed was a ph drop over the weekend. It's possibly my ph probe and I ordered a new once just to make sure.

i noticed my sps doing a lot better with that stuff. polyps all the way out.

im using reef plus which is worst then brightwell

nanoreefer21

Ok i updated my pictures. I put up the wrong one as my initial photo anyways. The lighting is a little different cause I don't remember what I had on when I took the first one. You can see the growth difference from the pictures though.

Just finished my first bottle of the BCA and have two more bottles on order. I'm waiting for my lights to turn on to take some pics, but the outcome has been awesome. I started Dec. 12th and have been dosing 10 drops per day since, so the bottle has lasted me for about 4 months. I usually dose first thing in the morning when I'm feeding my corals. Here are a list of the pros and cons.

Pros: Excellent color increase and polyp extension in all of my corals.

My SPS have colored up nicely and I bought a 3 wild caught acro colonies over the last few months, along with some ORA acros, monti's, etc. The wild caught corals morphed and some of their colors are amazing. One was a nice white and brown base with bright yellow polyps, when I bought it. Now it's tips are a beautiful blue and purple and the white polyps are popping. I bought a dulled out Sunset Monti on a frag plug for $10 and in about two months it's almost fully encrusted the plug and his colored up to a bright orange and green polyps.

My LPS has colored up as well. The tissue of my acans have colored up nicely and my candy canes went from 15-20 heads when I bought it to over 80 heads. It went on a growth spurt the last few months. I just fragged up the colony to make room for more corals. I received a few bleached out corals from other reefers and all of them have colored up and are healthy.

My zoas and Palys also colored up and went on a growth spurt as well. I had these Tubs Blues with 6 polyps that I've had for over 6 months and they didn't grow. Now, I believe there are at least 20 on the frag plug. My Aztec palys went from a colony of 3 polyps to 36 polyps in 4 months.

Cons: There has been additional algae growth, but it almost only grows on my powerheads. I have noticed that the glass gets a little more algae daily, but no reason not to dose. I just use a toothbrush and clean the powerheads when I do my water changes and use my magfloat once a day. My water quality remains perfect

I'll get some pics for you guys because they speak louder than words. Downside is that I just fragged a bunch of stuff yesterday, so the pics won't have an exact comparison in how much the corals grew.

Carlton'sTank

I am about 3 weeks in and I have noticed that everything looks amazing. I did have a few other variables as mentioned above, but the coloration and growth of my corals can't be attributed alone to the other changes I made. My sps is looking great and seems to be growing daily. I also do notice an increase in algea and I dose less than the suggested amount. I am about 1/6th of the way through the bottle and I am excited to see if this trend continues.

looks like the best way for this is to have a ULNS. I may want to try this after my tank transfer and let the chaeto choke off any kind of algae growth after adding this

i bought a bottle because of this thread

not impressed

Didnt do crap for me either, i think im having other problems that may be cancelling out the good it does. Maybe i will try again after my upgrade.

I've been using Brigtwells AA for a month and I have seen some improvements. Here is a before and after of what I believe is a tri-color acro. Before dosing there was NO polyp extension for 3-4 months. The second pic you can see some PE and slight coloring up on the tips. I have also been dosing Reef Biofuel for two weeks, so I can't say it is singularly the AA coloring up my acro. I have also noticed increased growth in my Monti Cap.

Acro is in bottom left of first pic...

post-32182-1268062861_thumb.jpg

post-32182-1268063134_thumb.jpg

Well, I guess my corals are addicted.

I ran out a week ago and some of my sps are already turning brown.

That is the only thing I can think of that is different as far as parameters.

PO4 is still non-detectable and no signs of unwanted algae.

Even my zoanthids have lost a little color it seems.

I guess I better got some more ordered.

Crazy addiction though.

briansbelle

ok i am going to order some of this later tonite, been hearing good things about it and i wanna give it a try....

any idea how much to dose in a 14 gallon biocube?

thanks!!!

I got it due to this thread. I have been using it for 2 weeks, and not notable difference besides overall my corals seem "happier". Only time will tell as far as color and growth. IMO worth the money just for the extra polyp extension and health.

I just hope my corals make it. Probably won't get it till the end of the week if not a bit later. I think they were all conspiring against me.

When I walked into the room all the corals looked normal and in their proper places, but I have a feeling they were all out of the tank and may have put something in my Long Island Ice Tea.

I saw some water on the floor near the tank.

Can't trust addicts you know.

I paid 16 dollars for it from Premium Aquatics not sure how big the bottle is though.The small bottle. I would dose 4-5 drops a day in a biocube 14. I forgot to mention that I have noticed alot more algea on the glass but just the glass.

Nemo Niblets

I will have a beast skimmer coming on on my biocube 29, and run a phosban reactor. I think this product was meant to be used in conjunction with a good skimmer. Once it sets in, I'm going to give my acros around a month to settle in with their color. Then I'll start dosing this and see how it goes...

Not saying all are turning. Seems the ones closest tot he light.

This has coma along way. I found it about a month ago from under the rock. The pistol shrimp had pushed it out in the open. It had fallen down between the rock probably a month before I was able to recover it.

About the time I started using the BCA it looked like this

IMG_2583.jpg?t=1268103321

and now this

20longvid771.jpg?t=1268102890

briansbelle

thanks lawnman.

algae on the glass doesnt bother me, i have that now...lol...

i think my zoas and hammer and frogspawn will thank me :)...lol

I feel that a lot of the user reports are coincidental. If you have a healthy tank, new or damaged corals will heal, grow, and recover.

bird, if you ran out and your SPS are turning brown, I don't think the lack of brightwell that is the cause. AA if anything will turn your acros brown from adding too much.

I feel that a lot of the user reports are coincidental. If you have a healthy tank, new or damaged corals will heal, grow, and recover.

bird, if you ran out and your SPS are turning brown, I don't think the lack of brightwell that is the cause. AA if anything will turn your acros brown from adding too much.

Just going by what I am seeing.

Nothing else has changed except running out of it a week ago and before that for about a week cut way back because about to run out.

Calcium, temp., alk., mag., salinity, PO4, lighting are the same.

Well, we will find out soon enough. I hope to be restarting the BCA soon.

Im thinking its more anecdotal rather than coincidental Pod, I was hesitant to post my observations on using AA but I have seen real improvement in my acro and monti. I guess the best thing to do is take everything with a grain of salt.

I will have a beast skimmer coming on on my biocube 29, and run a phosban reactor. I think this product was meant to be used in conjunction with a good skimmer. Once it sets in, I'm going to give my acros around a month to settle in with their color. Then I'll start dosing this and see how it goes...

The instructions say to turn off the skimmer, mechanical filter when dosing. I cannot see using something that will be taken up by a skimmer.

Seems it would be a waste.

I don't think AAs work along the same principals as carbon dosing, if that is what you are thinking. I could be wrong, but I believe the AAs are to be taken up by the corals.

Carbon dosing, from what I understand, that is the by-product rather, bacterias that consume PO4 and are still in the water column, are removed by a efficient skimming. Some of the bacterias are consumed by corals, at least from my understanding.

But, hey, I don't believe in the end being Dec 2012 so what does what I understand matter? The way I keep ####### off the ol' Lady, it will probably be sooner for me.

Archived