Coral Vue Hydros

Collecting animals while snorkeling (freediving)

C-Rad

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
johnmaloney
so let's plan it out! :happy:

Me

You

Mudfish

tyty

and I will call Aly and ask her :)

B)

ok cool. i have some minor repairs to take care of on my boat though. steering went from jerk helsman that was left on reef to fend for himself. well, at least most of that sentence was true. :) even if we don't go on my boat, (which is only for the brave really), having it there nearby would cover us under my vessel license. (will double check with FWC, but I am 99% sure that will save anyone the cost of rec license and change the bag limits). At least be a decent storage area for super snorkel and livewell. I can do a day trip on Thurs-Sat, but not Sun-Wed. Night trips on any day but Tuesday and Sunday.

make the trip yardboy - :)

My middle name, in Latin, means "runs with scissors" and my motto is "You gotta be tough if you're gonna be stupid"

"You gotta be tough if you're gonna be stupid"

Johnny Cash?

I guess thats a little different than a Boy Named Sue...

Crazy coincidence. Yesterday I ripped a CD of Johnny for my dad (I don't do country much) and my wife wanted to listen to it. Surprised to realize I still remembers the lyrics from childhood ( a looooong time ago)

The motto actually came from a dive shop in Tavernier Florida when I went diving there many years ago, seemed to fit me. I have done some stupid things, and I'm still alive and still kicking.

Crazy coincidence. Yesterday I ripped a CD of Johnny for my dad (I don't do country much) and my wife wanted to listen to it. Surprised to realize I still remembers the lyrics from childhood ( a looooong time ago)

The motto actually came from a dive shop in Tavernier Florida when I went diving there many years ago, seemed to fit me. I have done some stupid things, and I'm still alive and still kicking.

Neato. I used to listen to Cash, Horton and all those kinda western artists when I was little. I have never been much of a country person, usually classic rock. They are great songs, even though they are country, they are the only kind I like though :)

Listening to Piano Man right now....

John, I hope the name of your boat isn't a bad karma one, like "Bottom Time" :lol:

Or how about "Slipped Knot" or "Dragged Anchor". Most speedboats could be called "Kidney Pounder" or "Sea Sick"?

So what is it John? ADRIFT?

I managed to improve on my fish-catching skills today. I caught some really tiny sergeant major damsels, a tiny file fish and some blenny's.

I went to the sandy side of a jetty during low tide. They were in quasi-tide pools and I used a net like this:

AP1562.jpg

For the blennies, I just scraped the net against any macro algae that I saw growing on the rocks and caught a blenny almost every time. I believe they are Molly Miller Blennies.

This was all with just wading into knee-deep water. The shallower the water, the easier it is to catch them.

johnmaloney
John, I hope the name of your boat isn't a bad karma one, like "Bottom Time" :lol:

Or how about "Slipped Knot" or "Dragged Anchor". Most speedboats could be called "Kidney Pounder" or "Sea Sick"?

So what is it John? ADRIFT?

The boat is a pretty good one actually, I know this guy was trying to use it like a jet ski and messed it up. This boat was very reliable until this incident. It is always slow to start, but once it gets going...he also screwed up the trailer, that needs to be fixed....was a bad week for boating....other than that, when the battery isn't dead it runs fine. Or the anchor doesn't break free....:) Right now the steering doesn't answer, and the trailer bunks are loose.

Just the cable needs to be replaced, nothing major at all! :)

johnmaloney
I went to the sandy side of a jetty during low tide. They were in quasi-tide pools and I used a net like this:

AP1562.jpg

For the blennies, I just scraped the net against any macro algae that I saw growing on the rocks and caught a blenny almost every time. I believe they are Molly Miller Blennies.

This was all with just wading into knee-deep water. The shallower the water, the easier it is to catch them.

tickle stick and chase the fish to the net - adds a whole bunch of other species. The brighter the color the net the more difficult as the fish run from it. But for the cost of those nets you can't go wrong and they make it pretty sporting. I use a black net, they see it and it is a little fun. Clear nets are cheating IMO. :)

Molly Millers are awesome fish. Great personality and all that. They almost want to go home with you though, they are pretty easy. :) You can basically collect them by hand if you do it slow enough. If you decide to take a Frillfin Goby, (live in the same area), be careful, they are the meanest fish alive for their size. If you look closely in those same areas you can find Seaweed Blennies. A little rarer, that cirrae (probably spelled wrong) is arranged like a mohawk instead of like eyelashes on the Molly Miller.

Here the Molly Millers get in holes in the rock. I take a zip lock bag and seal it around the hole with my hands and then thump on the rock with a finger, and out they jump. Gotta be able to hold your position for a bit though, which can be a challenge in the current.

I beg to differ with you on the clear nets. They seem to see them just fine here, you still have to be fast. My wife can catch them ten to one over me, maybe I'm slowing down in my old age!

johnmaloney
They seem to seem them just fine here, you still have to be fast. My wife can catch them ten to one over me, maybe I'm slowing down in my old age!

Sounds like it... :P

we need pics -_-

Yesterday I did some looking around here:

P4150324.jpg

It doesn't look like it from the picture, but the water was rough, so I didn't go snorkeling.

Archived