ReefCleaners.org

Collecting animals while snorkeling (freediving)

C-Rad

johnmaloney

it has been nice the last few days. I will take 70 after this winter. 60's was rough....

40's is nuts. Surfers are nuts in general though.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it has been nice the last few days. I will take 70 after this winter. 60's was rough....

40's is nuts. Surfers are nuts in general though.

im not nuts.... theres nothing wrong with surfing.... O_o" is there?

At 70 I wear a wetsuit, but I also line up a hot shower if I can find one handy and make a beeline for it as soon as I get out of the water, wetsuit and all!

The other problem with the winter is the wetsuit. I'm using 10 pounds of lead now, in the summer. With a wetsuit, I'd have to tie a concrete block to my ass to get down!

70! I'm so jealous. When I lived in New Zealand we would regularly get snowed on while surfing. Water temps in the 40s.

Good God.

It must have twisted you psychologically though. I see you're in Arizona now, lying in the desert sun! Wait, don't tell me, you go skinny-dipping in the Colorado now for the nostalgia of bone-chilling cold.

Yep, surfers are crazy. And they think kiters are nuts.

0717_kiteboarders.jpg

The other problem with the winter is the wetsuit. I'm using 10 pounds of lead now, in the summer. With a wetsuit, I'd have to tie a concrete block to my ass to get down!

Wait....WHAT? Dude, hit the gym! J/K!

I can relate to the idea that I don't sink like a rock anymore, but a 2lb'er sends me to the bottom.

johnmaloney

Good news! I got a Super Snorkel! Now when you guys talk about lead and wetsuits and all that I will be able to participate. No more up and down clearing your ears 100 times a day for me! :) Will let you all know how it works in case you are looking into that kind of equipment.

Kiters are the big thing down here now, but the surfers in the Inlet are the ones I always think are going to hit the rocks. The kiters can get themselves out of a current with the wind....some of these surfer kids are fearless. They don't surf beach waves much here, they do the inlet area when low tide meets the ocean.

Good news! I got a Super Snorkel!

That's awesome, I've heard good things, but be careful with the exhaust/intake. I finally put an order in from your website today, trying to do my part to contribute to the Super Snorkel funds.

I'm thinking about getting my un-super snorkel out tomorrow, will have to see how rough the water is.

Wait....WHAT? Dude, hit the gym! J/K!

I can relate to the idea that I don't sink like a rock anymore, but a 2lb'er sends me to the bottom.

inorite? It's not like I'm actually fat, I'm just a giant - 6'3", 245 lbs. But a lot of that is blubber... I guess I'm a Florida walrus!

johnmaloney

damn 6'3 245. I hope I havent said anything to get on your bad side. :)

thanks! the super snorkel appreciates it! By the way, you can always check NOAA for forecasts. They give you some idea, if you google the closest inlet's name and the word NOAA you get to the right page. "Sebastian Inlet NOAA" But they said it would be bad for visibility, (3-4), yesterday and it was really nice out, so I don't know if I would trust them.

The guy showed me how it all worked, and while it doesn't have a filter, the stacks are high of the intakes. I still will be messing with it in a pool for awhile. It is so loud it would be hard to have someone on board to take care of things....

also...Wow that is a lot of pressure! In the surge tank it sounds like a bomb goes off when you release it all at once....did all that air pressure in line with your lungs freak you guys out a bit at first? (I imagine scuba tanks are the same). It has regulators on it...but still....

johnmaloney

mudfish - Man you weren't joking! You are a giant. :) They called me the "short guy who was talking to [Mudfish] earlier.

hey tyty - clear seas this weekend. :)

hey tyty - clear seas this weekend. :)

Unfortunately I'm going to be on the other coast of FL for the weekend where the visibility is miserable. I think I have too many excuses and need to get out there soon. I have been collecting Zoas nearly every day that I get home around low tide though, that 5 of one species per day limit thing makes me nuts.

wassa goin' on in here? :P

I need to get out more! I haven't been to the beach in 2 months :(

we need a collecting field trip lol

Unfortunately I'm going to be on the other coast of FL for the weekend where the visibility is miserable. I think I have too many excuses and need to get out there soon. I have been collecting Zoas nearly every day that I get home around low tide though, that 5 of one species per day limit thing makes me nuts.

Limit, schlimit...

mudfish - Man you weren't joking! You are a giant. :) They called me the "short guy who was talking to [Mudfish] earlier.

haha! that's funny! It was real good meeting you!

You know, that would be a blast. We could go out to Peanut Island or something like that, eh?

inorite? It's not like I'm actually fat, I'm just a giant - 6'3", 245 lbs. But a lot of that is blubber... I guess I'm a Florida walrus!

Heck, I'm 6'3" too, but only 200 lbs. 12 lbs. with a wetsuit diving.

Oh, and you'd be a manatee!

manatee.bmp

johnmaloney

+1...except for the beach part. I have sand on my feet still. :)

that 5 of one species per day limit thing makes me nuts.

for the small inverts it doesnt make much sense.

you guys aren't THAT heavy. im 195 and 5"9 1/2"

but i really hope one day i can go freediving out in florida. looks like fun. and very different from the waters here in SoCal (you dont get to come face to face with a seal at 40ft. - its literally like starting a lion in the face when you are in the water- i think some of them get to 900+lbs O_O")

johnmaloney

seals look awesome. i want to get a few of them for my coldwater biotope.....might have to get a job at Sea World though. Closest I have seen in nature is otters, very cool, but not seals.

We can do this!!

I can organize a field trip thru the club guys :) that would be a blast omgomgomg

let me know!

I envy u John...wish I was grindin' my feet in the sand more often lol

johnmaloney

awesome! i think less might be more though got2envy. if you go out with a lot of people from pbmas and what not, you have to worry about too much collection effort in an area, or for one particular item...need a huge boat etc...group of 4 or 5 tops. It becomes a chore/project that needs to be scheduled and then there is the tides and the weather etc... Up to you guys though, we can always go to your spots with everyone in Palm Beach County. :)

ask phishyaly,she would probably be up for it

you guys aren't THAT heavy. im 195 and 5"9 1/2"

but i really hope one day i can go freediving out in florida. looks like fun. and very different from the waters here in SoCal (you dont get to come face to face with a seal at 40ft. - its literally like starting a lion in the face when you are in the water- i think some of them get to 900+lbs O_O")

I was free-diving by a sea lion colony with a scuba camp in socal, and one of the girls got too close and the massive alpha male charged her - then turned away at the last moment. I'm pretty sure I heard her scream under water. We were all amused.

I'd be in if I lived in florida. :( Good luck tough!

awesome! i think less might be more though got2envy. if you go out with a lot of people from pbmas and what not, you have to worry about too much collection effort in an area, or for one particular item...need a huge boat etc...group of 4 or 5 tops. It becomes a chore/project that needs to be scheduled and then there is the tides and the weather etc... Up to you guys though, we can always go to your spots with everyone in Palm Beach County. :)

ask phishyaly,she would probably be up for it

so let's plan it out! :happy:

Me

You

Mudfish

tyty

and I will call Aly and ask her :)

B)

Archived