Innovative Marine Aquariums

Im thinking about getting a clam. Advice?

hahaximmaxfish

hahaximmaxfish

So, im starting my first 10g soon! Im trying to decide how to stock it so I can have everything I need to keep the corals and fishie/s happy. For lighting I have 4x24w t5s, a little rapids filter from tom. It says it works up to 20g... Koralia nano. Anyway, to the point. Im thinking about a nice bright blue clam. This would be my first one and im worried. Also, I don't even know if this is the right tank size for it. If it's not tell me, I dont want to kill it!

How would you keep a clam? Advice?

Oh yeah, specific questions:

Food:

Placement:

So, im starting my first 10g soon! Im trying to decide how to stock it so I can have everything I need to keep the corals and fishie/s happy. For lighting I have 4x24w t5s, a little rapids filter from tom. It says it works up to 20g... Koralia nano. Anyway, to the point. Im thinking about a nice bright blue clam. This would be my first one and im worried. Also, I don't even know if this is the right tank size for it. If it's not tell me, I dont want to kill it!

How would you keep a clam? Advice?

Oh yeah, specific questions:

Food:

Placement:

wait 4 to 6 months after cycle.

weekly water changes like clockwork and you should be good

place it high in the tank

maxima FTW

also clams are primarily photosynthetic so feeding is not necessary

hahaximmaxfish

thank you! I do water changes weekly for my freshwater guy (button!). I will def. get one. The lfs has some really nice ones. :happy:

ditch that filter....just mod an aquaclear and READ everything you can get ur hands on about clam care!!! here's a great aquaclear mod thread

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=192628

Why ditch the filter he's already got? That's a lot of extra money for negligible benefits. I'm not dissing the HOB fuge mod, but what advantages would it give him over the current filter other than a place to grow macro for nutrient export? Not room to do much else.

wait 4 to 6 months after cycle.

most important part IMO

Why ditch the filter he's already got? That's a lot of extra money for negligible benefits. I'm not dissing the HOB fuge mod, but what advantages would it give him over the current filter other than a place to grow macro for nutrient export? Not room to do much else.

Its a canister filter I think.

Which tend to collect detritus and raise nitrates...

HOB mod is worth every penny

I would have concerns about putting a clam in a small tank. Maintaining good water quality in such a small tank is very important. Plus, it sounds like you're new to the saltwater hobby. If so, I'd wait 'til you get more experience under your belt. Patience is the key to success to this hobby! ;)

um that is a mini canister filter......canister filter + reef tank = nitrate bomb

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=16742

and poop...i really don't feel as though there is any type of time limit on adding a clam or anything else to your tank.....when your tank is stable it's stable.....i've seen 4 to 6 month old tanks that are disasters.....it is true however that smaller tanks and clams don't mix well but i've seen ppl (you!!) who have done it very successfully....

hahaximmaxfish

guys, youve got the wrong filter it's this:

http://www.tomaquarium.com/prod_details.php?cat=29&p=68

its an evil little booger to put together.

Is this good? I saw it on a tank at the lfs. Seemed nice... I feel like such a noob. Which I am!

I am not a he. I am a she.

Thanks for all your help guys! :happy:

I would have concerns about putting a clam in a small tank. Maintaining good water quality in such a small tank is very important. Plus, it sounds like you're new to the saltwater hobby. If so, I'd wait 'til you get more experience under your belt. Patience is the key to success to this hobby! ;)

Thank you, youve helped me a lot in the past on other noobie topics. :bowdown:

um that is a mini canister filter......canister filter + reef tank = nitrate bomb

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=16742

and poop...i really don't feel as though there is any type of time limit on adding a clam or anything else to your tank.....when your tank is stable it's stable.....i've seen 4 to 6 month old tanks that are disasters.....it is true however that smaller tanks and clams don't mix well but i've seen ppl (you!!) who have done it very successfully....

:happy: !

Thanks RockFish.

True, though waiting a bit never hurts IMO.

guys, youve got the wrong filter it's this:

http://www.tomaquarium.com/prod_details.php?cat=29&p=68

its an evil little booger to put together.

Is this good? I saw it on a tank at the lfs. Seemed nice... I feel like such a noob. Which I am!

I am not a he. I am a she.

Thanks for all your help guys! :happy:

Thank you, youve helped me a lot in the past on other noobie topics. :bowdown:

80gph is pretty low

the aquaclear 70 does 300gph and adds some volume

Won't cause any problems, but there are much better options IMO

hahaximmaxfish
Won't cause any problems, but there are much better options IMO

I was going to go natural and do water changes like clockwork but I saw this and thought "Could it hurt?" So i got it. I also figured I could shove some cheato in that little filter somewhere. Good Idea, bad idea? :huh: I may upgrade... :happy:

Archived