Cultivated Reef

is there any specific size of tank for a clam ?

ryeguy28

hey guys i was wondering if i can put a clam in a small tank ( 3.5gal to be exact)

my only concern would be the growth rate and if it would out grow the tank extremly quick

and if i got it small how long would it be ok in the tank (roughly because all growth rates are differnt)

i like crocea and maxima but all clams are neat aslong as the have the neat blue coloration or a bright coloration of any other color

You should first have success with clams in "normal" tanks before trying them in a pico. Also, you need to take into account that they will need stable water conditions, strong lighting, and supplementation, which are all hard to achieve in a pico.

You should first have success with clams in "normal" tanks before trying them in a pico. Also, you need to take into account that they will need stable water conditions, strong lighting, and supplementation, which are all hard to achieve in a pico.

there is only one thing hard there man " stable water conditions" the lighting is easy and so is the supplementation

there is only one thing hard there man " stable water conditions" the lighting is easy and so is the supplementation

ok.....the clams ur suggesting all get to be anywhere from 6 to 10 inches and need high lighting (T5 or better and I don't want to hear any PC talk for any other clam except maybe a derasa in a shallow tank b/c I won't listen)

the problem with that is you have to consider the heat the lighting gives off so i'd say tempurature is a consideration as well

and just the fact that you'd say : there is only one thing hard there man " stable water conditions" tells me you should try a clam in a normal sized tank before attempting one in a tank of that size

I love those zoas! Haha, anyway, the clam thing worries me... Seems like a really little tank for those guys.

marc levenson (melev) has enough experience keeping clams in normal tanks to pull it off.

Archived