inTank Media Baskets

Are tube worms bad to grow on a clam's shell?

fishboy87

I know some things like bristle worms and pyramid snails are bad, but I didn't know if the tube worms that make the spiral homes are bad. Its not spiral like a cone, more like a pinwheel? I guess you could say. . . I saw two of these things on my clam and it seemed fine. There were tiny fuzzy things at the end of the tube that looks like the organism that made the spiral. When i touched it, it retracted pretty deep into the shell. I freaked and used a knife to scrape the thing off thinking it was a deadly burrowing parasite. I'm not sure if it is. My camera isn't good enough to get a close-up. Its pretty old. However,when I scrapd the spiral shell off, there didn't seem to be a hole in the clam's shell itself. I hope my reaction to this wasn't too over the top. Just if anyone could ID and diagnose the description I gave, I would really appreciate it.

Taken from the ID forum:

Spirorbis: HARMLESS

Tiny while calcareous worms, that mostly will develop in the dark areas. Filter feeders and a sign your tank is doing well, very common.

spirorbis-cf-inornatus-wb1-600x400.jpg

Those? If so, no worries.

They lookedlike that. Except there were only two of them and more grey. They were also about .25" in diameter. It could be the pic you posted, you know the size those are?

They lookedlike that. Except there were only two of them and more grey. They were also about .25" in diameter. It could be the pic you posted, you know the size those are?

The ones I've had in my tanks rarely get more than a few millimeters in diameter, and are never grey, always white. It could still be those, without a pic its gonna be tough to figure out. Have you looked in the ID forum?

skimlessinseattle
I know some things like bristle worms and pyramid snails are bad, but I didn't know if the tube worms that make the spiral homes are bad. Its not spiral like a cone, more like a pinwheel? I guess you could say. . . I saw two of these things on my clam and it seemed fine. There were tiny fuzzy things at the end of the tube that looks like the organism that made the spiral. When i touched it, it retracted pretty deep into the shell. I freaked and used a knife to scrape the thing off thinking it was a deadly burrowing parasite. I'm not sure if it is. My camera isn't good enough to get a close-up. Its pretty old. However,when I scrapd the spiral shell off, there didn't seem to be a hole in the clam's shell itself. I hope my reaction to this wasn't too over the top. Just if anyone could ID and diagnose the description I gave, I would really appreciate it.

First off, bristle worms aren't bad, they are a valuable part of a diverse reef tank that significantly contribute to the overall health of the system.

In regards to the tube worm question, what color is the fan of the worm? I have many similar worms in my tank that fit your description and have a red or white fan. They are harmless filter feeders.

First off, bristle worms aren't bad, they are a valuable part of a diverse reef tank that significantly contribute to the overall health of the system.

In regards to the tube worm question, what color is the fan of the worm? I have many similar worms in my tank that fit your description and have a red or white fan. They are harmless filter feeders.

+1

Archived