SaltCritters.com

Never had a clam!

benjamin.rocke

benjamin.rocke

I've never had a clam before and want to add one to my Nano Cube HQI. I've been having issues with dinoflagellates and excess nutrients and, aside from wanting a clam in general, heard they can help pull excess nutrients out of the water. I have a nice spot on my gravel bed that gets full exposure to my lights. My calcium levels are good, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate all read 0 and think I'm ready to take the plunge. I'm going to the Reef-A-Palooza in Orange County tomorrow and wanted to get my first clam. Any advice/tips? Thanks!

Deleted User 6

If you're having problem with Dinos and excess nutrients, I would advise against a clam. They need impeccable water quality to survive. How old is your tank? The fact that you didn't bring up your Alk levels worries me as well. Do you know those levels?

Additionally, clams should not be used to pull nutrients out of the water. You need a good skimmer, a fuge with macro algae, or some other system to handle that for you.

FiReBrEaThInGCuTtLeFiSh!XD
If you're having problem with Dinos and excess nutrients, I would advise against a clam. They need impeccable water quality to survive. How old is your tank? The fact that you didn't bring up your Alk levels worries me as well. Do you know those levels?

Additionally, clams should not be used to pull nutrients out of the water. You need a good skimmer, a fuge with macro algae, or some other system to handle that for you.

+1

Clams do take some of these nutrients out of the water but not that much. also, if your having dinos and excess nutrients issues I doubt your nitrates are truly at 0ppm. Plus what lighting are you using, what kind of clam do you want, how from the lights to sandbed, whats your alk, what size tank do you have? all important factors in considering what kind of a clam is right for your tank

they are found in the tropics too, but yeah there range is stronger in the temperate zone. i guess it depends on what you call long lived, they do okay for a clam. (they cant all be maximas - :) ) i wouldn't get one personally but to each their own.

i'm pretty sure those cleaner clams are just quhogs(sp) they will just burrow under the sand and you won't ever see them if thats the case. if your sand bed isn't deep enough i've heard they can go thru the glass on the bottom too. just a thought.

Archived