Cultivated Reef

H-Town Heights BC29 **now with UVL PC-Rs**

LogansRunRx

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LogansRunRx
Any updates on the zoas? Did you figure anything out?

meh...

not sure.

here's what i know:

1. your zoas closed up as soon as they hit the tank

2. the zoas Kevin dipped are now open... BUT... thery are in a different tank (20L) under 150w 20k MH

3. have transferred all other zoas to 20L and all are open (didn't dip the rest)

4. transferred your zoas into the 20L -> their opening up

something's up with my BC29...

but i'll be darned if i know what it is???

have a thread in the general discussion and have some ideas, but nothin's really panned out.

idk...

frustrated!

:angry:

oh, yeah...

pulled my hermits too...

zoa's still closed

(still have on big chunk in the BC29)

meh...

not sure.

here's what i know:

1. your zoas closed up as soon as they hit the tank

2. the zoas Kevin dipped are now open... BUT... thery are in a different tank (20L) under 150w 20k MH

3. have transferred all other zoas to 20L and all are open (didn't dip the rest)

4. transferred your zoas into the 20L -> their opening up

something's up with my BC29...

but i'll be darned if i know what it is???

have a thread in the general discussion and have some ideas, but nothin's really panned out.

idk...

frustrated!

:angry:

oh, yeah...

pulled my hermits too...

zoa's still closed

(still have on big chunk in the BC29)

Are you using the same type of water in both tanks? If so, I am not sure what it could be then. I dont think its the lighting. Maybe some kind of pest in the LR. Maybe cut a water bottle in half, place a zoa inside and then place it on your sandbed. If they open within an hour, great just monitor. But if they close as soon as they hit the water and you are using the same water on both tanks, start checking equipment.

So you got the 20L all set up? I am thinking of fragging my birdsnest.....if you are interested....its all yours. Not sure when I will do it, but sometime in the next month.

Just saw this on a Mr. Coral thread:

Make sure you dip fo real. It's been two years or so since I've bought from Mr. Coral, but every time I've dipped (especially zoanthids) all kinds of baddies came off!

LogansRunRx

mmmm...

yeah, guess it could be.

although i think just the simple move from the BC29 to the 20L causing them to open up -> may rule out any pests from Mr. Coral, dunno?

i am using Seachem's Aquavitro Salinity salt in the new tank.

just wanted to try something different.

guess i could do a huge waterchange with the new salt into the BC29 and see if that changes anything?

that would test the salt factor.

i'm using Tropic Marin Pro Reef in the BC29 right now... and I've been really happy with it.

Lawnman did diagnose fungus here in my zoa thread

but he suggested using Chemi Clean as a treatment?

now i do a bit of cyano on the sand bed so maybe it's not a bad idea?

considering upgrading my flow as well... maybe MP10?

also wanna try running some macro in a fuge in chamber 2?

just need to track down some chaeto...

we'll see.

cheers...

LogansRunRx
So you got the 20L all set up? I am thinking of fragging my birdsnest.....if you are interested....its all yours. Not sure when I will do it, but sometime in the next month.

yep... got the 20L up and running.

20L + 150w 20k MH + SubCurrent + a few Tunze mini powerheads = frag tank in my future

right now it's just cooking some base rock with some LR. (aka, big box 'o rocks)

yes, very overkill...

i'm addicted to croaline... and it's taking off on the base rock already.

as soon as most of the rock goes into the 20H... i'll gladly take u up the birdsnest.

LogansRunRx

well... at the recommendation of Lawnman here... i started the 48hr Boyd's ChemiClean treatment.

removed all filter media

added air pump and stone to chamber 1

added ChemiClean dose for ~20gal of water

i do have some cyano on the sand, it's just hard to see with the black rubble in the Indigo Pacific Black sand.

now we wait -_-

if this ends up being a cyano/fungus/organics issue... then i guess it's MP10 for me ;)

still need to find some chaeto.

well... at the recommendation of Lawnman here... i started the 48hr Boyd's ChemiClean treatment.

removed all filter media

added air pump and stone to chamber 1

added ChemiClean dose for ~20gal of water

i do have some cyano on the sand, it's just hard to see with the black rubble in the Indigo Pacific Black sand.

now we wait -_-

if this ends up being a cyano/fungus/organics issue... then i guess it's MP10 for me ;)

still need to find some chaeto.

I love my MP10.....though it only works at 30% max :eek:

LogansRunRx

so, i don't know that the ChemiClean really did anything...

save make alot of bubbles and force a 50% water change.

and piss off my hammer and frogspawn.

oh, well...

so the thread's been kinda complaint heavy and pic light recently, so figured i'd correct that.

1. i've not changed salt. did my first waterchange with Seachem's Aquavitro Salinity salt. it definitely doesn't dissolve as quickly as TropicMarin. but the dKH is much better (about 9-10). gotta add the salt very slowly our u end up with a big chalky mess. we'll see how this experiment goes...

2. got my fuge basket built -> very MacGyver-ie... a bit of black egg crate, some cyanoacrylate glue, some zip-ties, and underwater halogen lights from inTank.

here's the almost finished product:

DSC00554.jpg

now just gotta pick up some chaeto.

workin' on that as we speak.

3. new resident-to-be -> have wanted a six-line for some time now. have already lost 2 really small ones in QT (must have been sick already, or i just super stressed them out). but hoping third-time's charm. have been going to a new LFS (All About Fish here in Houston). really like it. great coral. great selection. very healthy livestock. he finally got a few in last week.

without further ado... here's Leonard

(he's still in time-out in my QT/frag tank)

DSC00560.jpg

DSC00564.jpg

well that's it for tonight.

cheers...

Maddevil1

Nice, congrats!!!

PS> That green ric, he must of did something to piss off one of my snails. They flipped him over and pushed him into by brain coral :ninja: It was a big ball of slime when I found him. Washed him off and about 60% was burned. We'll see how he recovers. fingerscrossed

LogansRunRx
Nice, congrats!!!

PS> That green ric, he must of did something to piss off one of my snails. They flipped him over and pushed him into by brain coral :ninja: It was a big ball of slime when I found him. Washed him off and about 60% was burned. We'll see how he recovers. fingerscrossed

thanks

sorry to hear...

i'm betting on a full recovery. shrooms/rics seem to be about bulletproof.

hey... check out my zoa problems thread for pics of ur green zoas under 20k MH.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=2827694

I fragged that Birdsnest this weekend. I will be able to make it to AAF the weekend of May 22nd. Let me know if thats a good weekend for you.

LogansRunRx
I fragged that Birdsnest this weekend. I will be able to make it to AAF the weekend of May 22nd. Let me know if thats a good weekend for you.

hey...

appreciate it...

gonna have company in town that week. so don't know if i'll be able to make it down.

in all reality will likely be first of June before i'm ready to take posession of any SPS.

if you don't mind baby-sitting till then... great. if you need to get rid of it... i understand completely.

u rockin' the MH yet???

hey...

appreciate it...

gonna have company in town that week. so don't know if i'll be able to make it down.

in all reality will likely be first of June before i'm ready to take posession of any SPS.

if you don't mind baby-sitting till then... great. if you need to get rid of it... i understand completely.

u rockin' the MH yet???

First week of June works for me. I am in the process of getting all the parts for the moonlights and Light fixture. My wife is graduating this weekend, so I have been busy these last couple of weeks with family visiting. Will be back to normal on Sunday and be able to put some time into it. I am aiming for the first weekend in June to make the transition.

LogansRunRx

alright...

somethin's not right!

params:

amonia = 0

nitrites = 0

nitrates = 0

dKH = 8

sg = 1.025

DIY fuge basket is in place

all chemical media (carbon, purigen, etc) is gone.

just filter floss and chaeto and LR

now am seeing cyano or diatom bloom on the sand.

guess could be expected with the large chunk of new plastic that's now in chamber 2???

but...

zoas still pissed off.

now shrooms pissed off.

hammer pissed off.

frogspawn pissed off.

and clown with 1 cloudy eye -> acting normal though and eating like a pig

the underwater fuge lights are causing my tank temps to go outta whack.

trying to get them back into harmony.

above that...

seems my digital thermo has been iffy from the beginning... popped a cheapo floating alcohol thermo in the tank over the weekend and it is 3-ish degrees over the digital.... so my 79-80 degree tank could have been 80-85 degrees for months.

i guess it's water change night???

should i add come carbon back?

suggestions?

ugghhhhhhh...

DIY fuge basket is in place

all chemical media (carbon, purigen, etc) is gone.

just filter floss and chaeto and LR

now am seeing cyano or diatom bloom on the sand.

guess could be expected with the large chunk of new plastic that's now in chamber 2???

the underwater fuge lights are causing my tank temps to go outta whack.

Why did you take all of your chemical media out? Carbon and purigen wouldnt be doing any harm. Now if you have chemipure elite, the GFO might be suspect. Though I dont think it would only be affecting only your zoas.

The DIY fuge could be the source of your silicate or just from the fact you removed all of your chemical media and everything is running wild. The tank is going to have to catch up and balance itself. I think you mentioned you have some kind of rig to get your RO/DI. Could that be a source?

The underwater light, is that StevieT's (single or double)? Cause the single light doesnt produce any extra heat in my tank.

If I were you, I'd run some carbon and some kind of phosphate absorber along with your floss and chaeto. Reduce your feeding and vacuum as much as you can during water changes. I finally won my battle with my diatom bloom by doing what I stated above.

LogansRunRx
Why did you take all of your chemical media out? Carbon and purigen wouldnt be doing any harm. Now if you have chemipure elite, the GFO might be suspect. Though I dont think it would only be affecting only your zoas.

The DIY fuge could be the source of your silicate or just from the fact you removed all of your chemical media and everything is running wild. The tank is going to have to catch up and balance itself. I think you mentioned you have some kind of rig to get your RO/DI. Could that be a source?

The underwater light, is that StevieT's (single or double)? Cause the single light doesnt produce any extra heat in my tank.

If I were you, I'd run some carbon and some kind of phosphate absorber along with your floss and chaeto. Reduce your feeding and vacuum as much as you can during water changes. I finally won my battle with my diatom bloom by doing what I stated above.

using the double light.

added about 1.5 degrees to the tank temp.

working late today and tomorrow... but gonna pick up some Poly Filter tomorrow.

came highly recommended by Wheetabix7 over in my zoa thread.

water change tonight and likely some carbon (or SeaGel = Carbon + PhosGuard).

just trying to get back to as few moving parts (variables) as possible.

if a params out of whack. i wanna find it... and fix it. not cover it up (purigen, carbon, etc).

and...

i'm kinda shoppin for an new RO/DI.

my current one's got a new RO membrane and new DI resin in it... but i'm runnin through quite a bit of water recently. think it's time to upgrade. likely buy from Bulk Reef Supply.

so... i'm with ya on that one.

LogansRunRx

well...

confirmed that copper's not an issue.

API Copper test kit showed absolutely no color change.

added some SeaGel.

gotta try and pull the silicates out from the new chunk of plastic.

50% water change done as well.

clown still has cloudy eye.

acting normal, though.

we'll see if i end up having to pull him and give abx, or no?

hoping this clears up with water changes.

• 1 month later...
redkneecoral

man i hope everything pans out for you. everything was looking great the last time i was on here.

LogansRunRx
man i hope everything pans out for you. everything was looking great the last time i was on here.

thanks...

we'll see.

have hit a long list of stumbling blocks lately.

1. tried the underwater halogen fuge lights from inTank -> must have gotten a defective set. they were definadtely NOT waterproof. dunno if i had voltage in the tank and/or corrosion from the metal contacts on the bulbs or what???

2. lost my frogspawn and hammer

3. my clown was sick, but now better

4. the assessor is lookin a bit ragged -> hitting the mysis with garlic and vit C for awhile

but the most frustrating part:

i have a 20L that i was gonna use to just cook some LR and base rock -> it looks better than my BC29 :angry:

and is quicly be coming the sanctuary tank for all the coral from the BC29

i also have kept my QT tank up and running this whole time -> it is stable, the 6-line is still in it, it's covered in corraline, and all the coral (transferred from the BC29) is super happy.

uuuugggghhhhh!

i just can't figure it out.

i've babied the BC29... water changes, testing, dosing, etc

i've neglected the crud out of the QT and 20L and they look great!

:rant::tears::rant:

i'll see if i can get some pics up in the next few days...

it's time for a formal update

redkneecoral

ah man, sorry to hear that.

I know how you feel. i have something on in my tank but have no clue what it is.

Hopefully we'll figured something out

• 2 weeks later...
LogansRunRx

so (not to jinx it) but i think we're back on track...

problem is...

i'm not really sure what i did???

according to tests (mix of salifert/api/elos) never had any nitrate/nitrite/amonia spikes, no phosphate issues, no Ca/Mg/dKH issues. but the tank just kinda crashed... started with all the zoas closing. and what few zoas are still in the tank are still closed and now decreasing in number.

other corals started no looking so hot either.

discovered that i has a bad set of fuge lights... could have been voltage or corrosion... or could not have been related at all.

lost my hammer and frodspawn :tears:

changes:

changed to Seachem Aquavitro salt

Rio HF6 -> Tunze silence 200gph pump (Rio was too loud)

Koralia Nano -> MP-10es

just runnin filter floss and SeaGel (carbon + PhosGuard)

still waiting on PCRs from UVL from Nanocustoms... tick, tick, tick, tick...

had a sick clown (cloudy eyes and a little sluggish) -> treated wtih Furan3 and then quick cure in hospital tank

started a 20L as a refugee tanks for stuff i've been pulling out of this tank... not even worth pics (it's just a box of rocks)

have been just been doing weekly 20% water changes and siphoning out a lot of the sand.

have pulled out about 5-6 lbs now.

probably got nothing to do with anything, but my 2 half-arsed bare-bottom tanks are much healthier. so dunno if it's sand related or not, but things seem to be improving with less sand and more CUC (added 6-8 more nassarius snails)

had a HUGE GHA bloom -> toothbrush + SeaGel + 2 massive turbos = starting to get under control

updates are useless wtihout pics...

new rhodactis shroom under actinics

th_IMG_0085.jpg

new frogspawn

th_IMG_0145.jpg

torches in a safe place (20L box o rox under 150w 20k MH)

th_IMG_0100.jpg

recovering zoas and favia and first SPS (from Maddevil1)

th_IMG_0108-1.jpg

fire 'n ice zoas in the 20L

th_IMG_0066.jpg

cheers...

oh yeah, new camera too -> Canon Rebel T2i

Me likes the rhodactis shroom!

Man, I've been dealing with nitrates, got up to 20ppm yesterday! :scarry: Did water change, got down to 10ppm and today going to add new purigen, maybe another water change tomorrow. So much for feeding more! Also I got my temps down to 77 with the fan but I am still going to buy a chiller soon. Hope all the pieces are doing well. If not, let me know and I can get you some more. Should have those other zoas for you in a couple of weeks, this time on a piece of rubble. ;)

LogansRunRx
well that is so awsome tank is making a turn around for you.

Me likes the rhodactis shroom!

Man, I've been dealing with nitrates, got up to 20ppm yesterday! :scarry: Did water change, got down to 10ppm and today going to add new purigen, maybe another water change tomorrow. So much for feeding more! Also I got my temps down to 77 with the fan but I am still going to buy a chiller soon. Hope all the pieces are doing well. If not, let me know and I can get you some more. Should have those other zoas for you in a couple of weeks, this time on a piece of rubble. ;)

hey, thanks!

it's been a bit more of a headache and less of an enjoyable hobby lately.

hopefully it'll be fun again soon.

Archived