Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

normal clam behavior?

FiReBrEaThInGCuTtLeFiSh!XD

Today my clam was open further then I've seen it but not nearly enough to be gaping. Just checked on the tank with the lunar led's and saw the clam with mantle retracted but still open with the back(out) siphon up and in siphon slightly open. It was still responsive to light and water movement towards it but would open back up shortly. Is this typical or healthy behavior for clams at night?

without pics i can't give you a def answer but if it's still responding well to stimulus then i would say don't panic just yet and give it a a while.....it could be feeding or stressed for some reason so don't go nuts

• 3 weeks later...

Mine did that before and I was told to spot feed it more. I started offering it twice weekly doses of live phytoplankton using the kent marine sea squirt... took it about 2 weeks to come around but it went back to normal. I can't speak for your specific situation but that is what did it for me....

Hope he pulls through.. keep us updated.

he's been doing fine and still does it. I spot feed my clams and sponge just about every other day so I'm not worried about that. HE seems very healthy actually. For an idea of what I'm talking about just picture the golden open like in the laast picture I posted on my clam thread but just with the mantle fully retracted. I believe it to just be filter feeding at night from what I've observed.

Archived