Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Differences between cleaner clam and supermarket clam

yuhao

I have seen on line sites that sells cleaner clams for $5 a piece. Are they the same as the white clams that are sold in the supermarket?

Also i have also heard that oysters also help in reducing nitrate. Does anyone have an oyster in the tank?

Imo the problem with bivalves such as oysters and clams in captivity is they survive purely from food/organics suspended in the water column. Our tanks are kept so "clean" they don't survive long. Giant clam species get most of what they need from light..... these species don't.

nanoreefnate

ive kept mussels for about 6 months now and they seem to be fine. i usually never directly feed my fuge phyto but the still seem to be fine. if you want a "cleaner" type bivalve i suggest you get aussie mussels. they are the only tropical species.

Best wishes! :D

ive bought zoas that was attached to a mussel. that survived for a year and i sold my tank with everything. not sure if its still living at this point.

ive also tried to dump a clam i bought from the supermarket and it died the next day. :P

"ive also tried to dump a clam i bought from the supermarket and it died the next day. "

OK I am guessing that supermarket clams dont work. haha

Archived