Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My Tridacna Clam (Pics included!)

ReefYourself

Hey everyone,

I got a clam around a month ago and it always opens up everyday fully without problems. I had placed it on an empty clam shell at the bottom of the tank and it has attached to it.

For some reason every time I wake up and look at the clam, there seems to be a slime formed on the base of his shell. Does this mean he is stressed?

-I have a 150W metal hylide with 4 T4's

-Mag: 1350

-Alk: 3.5

-Calc: 435

-ates: 0

-ites:0

-Phos: 0

Tank has been up and running for almost 5 months now.

I will take pictures and post midday when the clam is fully opened (around 1:00pm)

a tank that new probably shouldn't have a clam in it to begin with.....slime does point to signs of stress so you have to look at a few things to help you along but sand connected to what looks like slime could be the fibers of his foot trying to attach to the shell you provided (which is a good thing BTW) it means he's happy with where he is.......if the slime is up on or near his mantle you have to ask

what KIND of clam is it??

is it getting enough light at the bottom of your tank?? how deep is the tank itself??

do you have a problem with diatoms or re slime algae or GHA that could clue you in to a water quality issue??

Here are pictures of my clam when it is opened.....

Yes it actually slimes up at the bottom and not at the top where his mantle is.

nice crocea......the mantle looks fine.....nice and extended.....the "slime" that you're probably seeing is the fibers trying to connect to the shell you placed underneath him.....sand gets caught up in it and it looks well....slimey

mine do the very same thing......no worries man.....enjoy him

The clam looks fine. If its reacting to movement/shadow by closing and its staying relatively where it is it should be fine. If its not reacting to shadow/movement then it could be gaping and thus a problem.

But do keep in mind that crocea/maxima clams are rock dweller's not sand dweller's and you would be better off keeping the clam on a larger piece of rock it can 'bore' into. Fine sand can also become trapped in its gills possibly hurting the clam

Archived