Coral Vue Hydros

Golend Maxima Question?

FiReBrEaThInGCuTtLeFiSh!XD

I know different mantle colourations are to reflect harmful UV of intense lighting while still allowing the zooxanthellae to photsynthesuze. Which end of the spectrum are golden maximas at? I have a 10g w/ 70W MH 14K bulb roughly a foot over the top of the sandbed, and the tank is barely shy of 6 months with great whater quality. Will a GMC do well under these lighting conditions? I had origionally planned on waiting a while longer, but LA has aquacultured on sale, so I figured wtf why not ask the people hear with exp?

I say go for it ! I have a crocea under the same lighting and they are more light demanding than a Maxima. Just pick out a healthy one around 3". =)

I say go for it ! I have a crocea under the same lighting and they are more light demanding than a Maxima. Just pick out a healthy one around 3". =)

Thanks for the quick reply. I wish I could hand pick them out, but I'm at the mercy of LA on this one, and the ones on sale are small, and I know feedings aren't necessary but I do feed phyto at least every other day.

Ok , so I just looked at la and I wouldn't do it. I seriously was considering buying one that small a couple of weeks ago exact thing just at my lfs. I was talking with the worker and we were just in agreement that one that small is too much of a risk. Even though it has been done and will continue to be done. I just am in the thought of let it grow on someone elses dime. I would hate to buy it and have it croak. Where do you live ? The clam selections there are sparse? And the feeding thing is just being stated over and over to be a myth at any size. Beneficial maybe? Necessary , I personaly don't think so. Plus I just put it in the cart to check shipping and it's 34.99. More than the clam it self ! Lol ! Crazy. I hope you find one you like , because clams are awesome ! :happy:

There really isn't a big selection around here in Northern VA, and my LFS which has pretty fair priced on most things has a cool corcea but its $70. The last time they has golden maximas they were at $100. There is a place about a 1 hour drive thats got corceas for 40 but they are small and getting out there on a restricted liscence is kinda hard, and would just end up paying a friend a decent bit for gas anyway. The main reason I was thinking about it was that they're aquacultured. Shipping is a biatch but I'm also thinking of getting a Flasher Wrasse thats on sale to to replace my one that just died :(

A flasher wrasse in a 10 gallon tank ? Man that is not somthing you should do imo. If you can eat the shipping for the clam , and in your case it seems justifiable. Do it ! The aquacultured clams are more hardy just keep it stable. Please post pics after you get it so I can live vicariously through you ! :lol: I am going to wait on mine .

Archived