Cultivated Reef

Clam under LED thread

Bamato

I don't know if anyone has started a thread devoted specifically to the success or failure of keeping clams under LED's. And I'm about to find out in my BC14. I have lighting identical to waterproof's (as shown below courtesy of waterproof)

PAR_READINGS.jpg

And I just order my first maxima. The clam should arrive Thursday, I'll have the camera ready for data logging.

Feel free to post up any success stories here as well. Or failures... which I'm hoping there to be none...

I'm about 85-90% sure the lighting will be ok. And I know others have done it, but I'd like them to add their .02$ in. There isn't a huge database going quite yet for this type of thing. SPS data is starting to take off, but not much for clams.

your par is like a MH light, so it should be fine if acclimated properly. if there is anything prohibitive about the spectrum i am yet to hear of it...

i had a very happy crocea under leds, but it got pinched mantle disease

A little stressed at the moment.... gaping a bit, but I'm assuming from shipping. It's opened up nicely though :)

Maxima001.jpg

One of my crabs was picking at this.... any idea what it is? It's kind of fuzzy looking. I shooed him off..

Maxima002.jpg

It sort of closes, then gapes a little bit, I'm sure it's just going to take a few days to a week to adjust.

Maxima003.jpg

On a side note, the LED's do wonders for bringing out the colors. I'm surprised it's as blue as it is for being shipped in a dark cardboard box ;)

Nice clam - that fuzzy thing looks like severed byssal threads most likely from when they removed it from the holding tank to ship it to you, or from when it was collected.

Keep us updated as to how it does under your LED setup!

Ok, so he keeps moving toward a shady spot in my tank, but at the same time, he is looking browner than when I got him... any ideas?

He's also attatched himself to the bottom of my tank......

I have found that some clams will move themselves according to the flow in the aquarium. The big maxima in my solana kept moving so that the water flow passed directly into it's inhalent siphon.

I assume that because they are also filter feeders, they like to adjust themselves so that they have the best opportunity for catching food particles.

Nice.

Last week I started up more of that dirt I got from you last summer. And got a clam shrimp. First Ive had, we had fun trying to identify it online and out of invert books I have.

We are enjoying its antics

• 1 month later...

I also have a small Maxima clam under LEDs in a BC29 (nanotuners 5.6 LED retro) he is doing well so far :) he was moving around the first day i got him (as i still had PCs) the next day when i put the LEDs in, he stopped moving and has since anchored himself in the sandbed.

I wish this thread had a happy ending. Unfortunately, my maxi contracted PM. :( He's still alive, but FWD's are becoming the norm.

Sorry to hear about your clam. I hope he recovers. I'm about to put the Nanocustoms LED kit on my NC 12 and hope my clams will be fine.

When I bought the tank from the seller, I was surprise to see he had a clam with only 40W PC lighting. It is surviving but I'm hoping his color with improve with the new LED lights.

my maxi that ive had for a couple of months is doing alright under leds,he constantly moves and is in the sandbed after blowing himself off of rocks for like a week straight

I'm sure mine would have been happy under the LED's as well. It's just hard to show good clam health/growth when it has PM.

Mine is surviving still... but he isn't happy....

Archived