Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

this cant be good...

NanoReefNovice

NanoReefNovice

Ok.. so...

CIMG5528.jpg

I got this clam last night on the cheap, acclimated for a few hours woke up this morning and it has a hole though it. :scarry: Its responsive to shadows but...

Is their anything i can do to save this clam?

I put the clam on its side for the photo and was planning of moving it up on the rocks once it acclimates to the new lighting.

Tank:

6 months old

150 MH

80F

1.025 SG

KH 10

pH 8.2

NO3 undetectable

PO4 undetectable

NanoReefNovice
Sorry man.

Is it from a reputable LFS?

nope, thought i might get a deal by saving it... got it for $20. Looked fine there, maybe i effed it up getting it home. -_-

Don't give up! From your pic it actually doesn't look too bad! I see new growth on the top outer edge of the shell and I don't see any signs of pinched mantle! Prop it up, use some rocks or LR rubble along the sides. Let it be, make sure the other tanks' inhabitants aren't bothering it. If you see anything picking at it, use a 2 liter bottle with the bottom cut off and cover the clam and see if it opens up.

I have a maxima, and once in a while, the hole sometimes would open so much I could see all the way through it. Also check your calcium and stay on top of it, they do suck it up.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

NanoReefNovice
Don't give up! From your pic it actually doesn't look too bad! I see new growth on the top outer edge of the shell and I don't see any signs of pinched mantle! Prop it up, use some rocks or LR rubble along the sides. Let it be, make sure the other tanks' inhabitants aren't bothering it. If you see anything picking at it, use a 2 liter bottle with the bottom cut off and cover the clam and see if it opens up.

I have a maxima, and once in a while, the hole sometimes would open so much I could see all the way through it. Also check your calcium and stay on top of it, they do suck it up.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Thanks man, ill stay positive and keep yall updated.

basser apparently you didn't see the hole completely through the clam. Its missing its foot and bysall gland. I will be very suprised if it survives. That clam is a goner.

I would agree that the clam is showing signs of serious stress, but it isn't a write off just yet. The next 48 hours will be either it's road to recovery, or the end of the road.

Do you have any opportunistic feeders in the aquarium? Any mithrax crabs or large shrimp species? Have you noticed any large worms in the aquarium? I have seen crabs and worms really mess clams up in the past; especially the first few nights of having the clam. If it is stressed, the other inhabitants might recognize it as a dying organism and prey upon it making matters worse.

Sometimes I will place clams inside of tall plastic containers for the first week or so to prevent anything from getting to it. Just need to drill some very tiny holes along the container walls to make sure water flow gets through. You wouldn't use a lid of course, clams need light ;)

Keep us updated on how this little Crocea is doing!

the byssal thread is on the underside. being able to see through the clam doesn't mean it doesn't have one. Sometimes the byssal thread resides within the animal, and hasn't come out to plant the clam yet.

NanoReefNovice

Thanks for all the help guys but.... RIP :(

I had my GF go to the LFS yesterday(####ty LFS no guarantees on lifestock) and act cute to get them to give her a new one. Its in the tank as of last night will take pics after work. :)

Archived