SaltCritters.com

RO/DI sale

AZDesertRat

Hey Rat,

Is there anyway you can use the ProPlus for drinking water as well (RO only)? I plan on ordering this but also need to find a way to justify the buy with the wife if you know what I mean :D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, all it takes is a tee, check valve and ball valve between the membrane and DI if you want to do it manually or an ASOV and the same to do it automatically with a pressure tank. I did the same to my MaxCap system and it worked great.

Sure, all it takes is a tee, check valve and ball valve between the membrane and DI if you want to do it manually or an ASOV and the same to do it automatically with a pressure tank. I did the same to my MaxCap system and it worked great.

Great that's just the ticket..now off to place the order :D

By the way, would it be easier if I just get a 3-way valve in place of the tea/check valve/ball valve? It ends up costing the same but less fittings to play with I'm thinking.

• 3 weeks later...

Watch out for very slow service from Spectra Pure. I ordered a ProPlus system over 10 days ago and they have still no shipped it out. When I called to check on the status they told me the systems were "built to order" and that mine was in the queue to be built last week. Still no word from them on when it will finally ship. Didn't realize this was such a slow process....!

By the way, would it be easier if I just get a 3-way valve in place of the tea/check valve/ball valve? It ends up costing the same but less fittings to play with I'm thinking.

They are correct. Its not really slow service, its just you are getting personal service. They are built by hand, one at a time in Tempe AZ and the person who built it will put his initials right on the unit for quality control. No mass produced Chinese imports that come over by the ship load there! Its worth the wait.

^Good to know! I ordered one myself and I patiently wait...

I ordered one too. I got the proplus because I have a Kinetico whole house filtration and softener already, So my water gets treated before it even goes into my RODI unit. I should be good for a while with the included membrane

which of these filters would fit and be best for my 5 stage BRS plus unit? it pushes 75 gpd but i don't see any filters that fit that usage.

The Spectrapure 90 GPD membrane starts out life as a 75 GPD Dow Filmtec but gets treated and tested so it produces more and at a higher rejection rate. Same physical size and fits in the same housing. The prefilters and carbons as well as DI cartridges are all standard 10" size so any will fit what you have.

For best performance, carbon life, membrane life and DI life I would go with the 0.2 or 0.5 micron prefilter, 0.5 micron carbon block. 90 GPD Select series hand tested membrane, MaxCap DI and SilicaBuster DI.

You can now buy the MaxCap DI in bilk which is a new thing.

Deleted User 6

AZ, I need a .2 micron prefilter and a standard housing (broke the input on my last one dangit). What should I be looking at on that site?

They call their 0.2 micron filter a ZetaZorb prefilter. I don't see housings in the sale flyer but you can always call them on their toll free number and ask about pricing and availability. I think you ask for JR if I remember right.

I finally got my ProPlus and installed it this weekend. All seems well. I do notice a very slight off taste when tasting the water (though the meter reads tds=0). I suspect this is the reference on the website about the resin giving a tiny off taste which they described as fishy. I'm not sure I would call it fish, but more just "off." Are there any worries about putting this off tasting water in my reef? Should I flush it out more?

They call their 0.2 micron filter a ZetaZorb prefilter. I don't see housings in the sale flyer but you can always call them on their toll free number and ask about pricing and availability. I think you ask for JR if I remember right.

One other question. The manual says not to restrict the flow of the waste line. I just want to confirm that it's okay that the waste line is flowing "up hill'. As the unit is under my sink it has to flow up to the P trap. I'm assuming this isn't restricted in the sense they warn about....?

Hey All, I have a few noob questions that I hope you can help me with.

Our house is on a well and had very bad water. hard, and very high ph. So we spent a bundle and put a beast of a whole house system on. We have a neutralizer and softener on the house, and RO unit at the kitchen sink.

Question 1. Would the system we have on the sink be the equivalent of one of these RO units? It has 3 cartriges and a 4gal storage tank.

Question 2. We also had tannins. Would the house system take care of that, if not would the RO/DI do the trick?

thanks in advance

RO/DI will have a very blah, bland taste and is not appealing. If you want to drink it put a tee and ball valve between the RO membrane and the DI so you can drink RO only which tastes great,

You are good. By restricting the waste they mean adding a valve or fittings to further reduce the waste ratio which will shorten the membranes life since its the waste that flushes the membrane.

Hopefully you took the time to check and adjust the capillary tube flow restrictor which will keep things at their optimum perfomance.

Generally drinking water type RO systems have a lower GPD RO membrane since 75 GPD is not needed for drinking. Many systems will accept the industry standard 75 GPD 1812-xxx series replacement membranes though with a few exceptions. It may also use lower end granular activated carbon which has a relatively short useful life in higher capacity systems. Again though it probably uses the standard 10" size filters and these can be upgraded. You would also have to add a DI filter on the end for reef use.

Tannins are usually taken out or lowered by the water softener using special resins designed for that purpose. The RO should remove the rest.

Pulled the trigger on the Maxcap.. I got the faucet adaptor as well.. My tap water is coming out @ about 500 tds.. Should I get a prefilter or do you think it will be ok?

The MaxCap comes with a 0.5 micron absolute prefilter, they don't come much better. If you find you hav problems with the 0.5 try their 0.2 ZetaZorb prefilter, its pleated and has 10x the surface area so lasts longer, filters better and has less pressure drop in my experience. Thats what I use on my MaxCap UHE system.

The MaxCap comes with a 0.5 micron absolute prefilter, they don't come much better. If you find you hav problems with the 0.5 try their 0.2 ZetaZorb prefilter, its pleated and has 10x the surface area so lasts longer, filters better and has less pressure drop in my experience. Thats what I use on my MaxCap UHE system.

Thanks for the info...Do you have any pics of how you tee'd the system before the DI section for drinking water? Still not a hundred percent sure on how to do this.. Can I find the required peices at the local hardware store?..Or should I just ask JR to build my unit a certain way to acheive this...

Tannins are usually taken out or lowered by the water softener using special resins designed for that purpose. The RO should remove the rest.

thanks Rat! you're our H20 Go2

When I use my filter my water seems to have a slight amount of floating foam. This is super minimal but it does seem to have something floating on the surface. Is this normal. Wondering if this is related to the off taste.

Archived