ReefCleaners.org

RO/DI sale

AZDesertRat

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thelovablebum

But for how long will your TDS meter read 0

I have read a lot of AZDesertRat's posts, The man really knows his stuff when it comes to water quality.

You hit the nail on the head. ANY RO/DI should deliver 0 TDS, at least for a little while. The difference is for how long which equates to long term cost of ownership. Pay me now or pay me later is what it comes down to, higher initial cost and lower operating cost or lower initial cost and higher operating costs. In the long run the better unit wins every time. Ask someone like Randy Homes Farley who is a long time Spectrapure user with his last membrane lasting 10 years, there must be something to it. I know for me when my DI usage went from 150 gallons per 20 oz cartridge to over 900 gallons per cartridge I was an instant convert!

Its a very good unit. one thing Spectrapure does unlike any other vendor is give all their membranes a proprietary treatment that improves both their GPD and their rejection or TDS numbers. On the MaxCap they go a step further and individually hand test and guarantee the membranes to be 98+% efficient but they tell me even in batch testing which the normal membranes receive, they all do 98% but no written guarantee and test report. At $149 with batch tested membrane, dual inline TDS meter and pressure gauge plus their hand blended SilicaBuster DI resin its a steal.

All their membranes are standard sized 1812 series so will fit in just about any system. A few exceptions include Whirlpool systems from Lowes, some Sears and some Watts Premier systems but most of these are drinking water type systems anyway and use an 1810 series membrane which is slightly different.

Just make sure to get a matched $4 capillary tube type flow restrictor and spend the couple minutes required to trim it correctly so you get an exact 4:1 waste ratio.

For a complete RO/DI noob who needs about 20gallons per week and who wants to capture and reuse the waste water for laundry and plants, which of the models below offers better quality/value. Thanks in advance for your expertise.

The $149 Spectra Pure Pro Plus• SpectraPure™ 98% Plus-Rejection TFC membrane

Dual-probe TDS Monitor (monitors RO and DI performance)

• 1.0 µm MicroTec™ High Efficiency Sediment Pre-Filter for best protection of the carbon block filter

• 1.0 µm High-Capacity Carbon Block Pre-Filter Treats over 9,000 Gal of water

• 33% larger capacity SilicaBuster™ 10" DI cartridge

Also includes standard pressure gauge and clear filter housings, filter wrench and a 3/4" garden hose adapter.

Or

The $199 75 GPD RO/DI Plus system from BRS (currently on special with five free sediment filters)

4 stage RO unit with a 75 GPD Dow Filmtec membrane (Click for Specs)

Single stage DI unit

Deluxe quick connect MUR-LOK fittings featuring dual O-rings for complete safety (Click for Specs)

5 micron depth sediment filter (Click for Specs)

5 micron MATRIKX CTO/2 carbon block (Click for Specs)

0.6 micron MATRIKX+1 carbon block (Click for Specs)

Refillable DI cartridge filled with color changing DI resin

Auto shut-off valve

1/4" quick connect drain clamp

Chrome faucet adapter

One MUR-LOK Ball Valve (Click for Specs)

Filter wrench

Self piercing saddle valve

One garden hose and laundry tub adaptor .

Dual TDS Meter

Pressure Gauge

Membrane Flush Kit

Kind of a toss up but I would give the Spectrapure a slight advantage. For one it has a beter membrane since it is treated with Spectrapures proprietary treatment process abd should give you a slightly better rejection rate thus lower TDS and longer DI life out of any resin. Next it has a better 1 micron prefilter which does a better job of protecting the downstream carbon block. Finally it uses their custom blended SilicaBuster DI resin which by itself should last at least 30% longer than normal mixed bed resins.

The BRS unit on the other hand uses a better final carbon block but without the smaller micron prefilter in front of it its lmost meaningless, the pores can be fouled or plugged with everything up to 5 microns in size.

It also includes a faucet adapter and self piercing valve although you only need one or the other not both and a drain saddle if you choose to hook it up permanent. Spectrapure like lots of others in the industry, Buckeye Field Supply is another, chooses to not include all those items and instead have you specify hpw you intend to hook it up and supply only those parts at a reasonable charge. I for one have several self piercing valves and drain saddles laying around I never used.

Add it up and the costs would be similar but the Spectrapure will give you longer filter and DI life.

Damn good prices there!! I see the filters/membranes sale is still going on as well. B)

For the price for an entry level user, the $150 model really can't be beat for what it includes.

• 2 weeks later...
HeyLookItsCaps

Just got mine the other day, already made 30 gallons, the thing is GREAT! has a digital TDS and pressure gauge.....amazing buy. the date of manufacture of my unit was 9-9-09....the same date as my purchase. so they pretty much build them to your order. completely plug and play. +++++

on a side note, yucaipa california tap water is only 002/3 tds.... amazing quality for tap!

Noticed that this sale is trickling to the websites. You can get the maxcap 90 at marineandreef.com for the same price with free shipping. Called spectrapure and let them know this and they reduced my shipping from 27 bucks to 6.50. Figured I would rather get it direct from the manufacturer then second hand, glad to hear your experence caps, it confirms that the extra 6.50 over free shipping will be worth it.

If you plan to hook any unit to a kitchen faucet all you need is a faucet adapter, the RO/DI does not need any modifications at all. Many come with a hose bib adapter standard as does the Spectrapure units, it can be connected to any hose bib thread like outside for the garden hose or to the washing machine cold water faucet, or the bib adapter screws right to a standard faucet adapter.

Attach the inlet to the faucet, stick the waste line in the sink, the good line in a bucket or jug and let er rip. When you have enough water, shut the supply off, disconnect it from the faucet and stick it in the closet until next time. Its that easy.

Man, I cant decide between the maxcap or the proplus.

AZdesertrat can you tell me why should I pick the maxcap over the proplus? Thanks

my tds is 216 out of the faucet. Does the maxcap make more water longer lasting filters?

At $149 with batch tested membrane, dual inline TDS meter and pressure gauge plus their hand blended SilicaBuster DI resin its a steal.

I'll defer to others as to the quaality of the unit - but for a RO/DI with a Dual inline TDS meter - those prices are pretty much rock bottom. The TDS meter is 50 bucks at many online retailers - sells for $25 on ebay.

Looks like a hot deal to me.

Archived