inTank Media Baskets

JoeD's Technicolor Dream Cube

JoeD

White makes the lights reflect more and gives the tank that shine it needs to draw you in...

i agree.... i think that "white" sand is important to the overall look....

...and light levels.

edit: just read the 70w viper thing......NM on the light levels.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Joe, tank looks great. Nice job on the cabinet as well! Where do you get your laminate from?

Thanks, I got the black laminate from Home Depot... not sure if that helps you. Anything other than black, white or boring seems to be special order now. This is my first attempt at a flush/hidden hinge.... not real happy at the moment :( it's every bit of the pain I thought it was going to be... hopefully will finish up tomorrow...

bluefunelement

If I has such cool black Formica and marble I would think about black sand with a black or two spot or gold line or panda goby, & porcelin crab/bumble bees snails/shrimp, caribbean nerite snail, & two spot or black or harptail blenny or scrap all of that and sublet to a family of barnacle blennies.

Mine has a decidedly green tint to it which should turn brown in about a week or two :-(

If I has such cool black Formica and marble I would think about black sand with a black or two spot or gold line or panda goby, & porcelin crab/bumble bees snails/shrimp, caribbean nerite snail, & two spot or black or harptail blenny or scrap all of that and sublet to a family of barnacle blennies.

Mine has a decidedly green tint to it which should turn brown in about a week or two :-(

Thanks for the recommendations.... To bring the thread up to date, I've changed plans a bit... Bluefunelement got me involved in this insanity. Initially I was tagging along for the ride and planning on browns and greens, softies... cheap stuff easily found and traded. Took a stupid pill, started working on a stand that is nicer than my 28g stand, and things went swiftly downhill :) Currently looking at a mixed reef, predominantly SPS and LPS with some softies, and probably a small fish (I gave up on the tang and angels... too much work, and the mantis has his own tank... he's not very social). I'll update the livestock list once the tank is wet. FTS on Monday will be my "start". Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated and possibly ignored :P

To make everyone suspicious :P

Pod farm.... Scooternerd wins.

I see that pump and hose sitting off to the side :D

All joking aside. Love the tank and great work on the stand.

I see that pump and hose sitting off to the side :D

All joking aside. Love the tank and great work on the stand.

no he is using that new invisapipe to plumb it in :P

I've updated my first post to show the hardware and livestock that are definetly going into the tank. Can I write the peppermints off as aptasia control??? Found one the other day... might skip natural control and just go with aptasia x... it doesn't cut into my budget :)

That said, I'm currently trying to find a happy balance of SPS and LPS and quick growing softies that won't blow the budget. Still wanting LPS/SPS dominant tank, but looking to pull in softies that will show growth, look good and keep me in budget.... Probably slightly less hard than MODing this contest:) Thanks Maria!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

mp10 gone, dual locline in..... a few algae issues, nothing major... added Oceanic protein skimmer.. nice fit, wait and see if it works. Hope to get the homeless zoas mounted soon.

Nothing exciting... move along...

• 4 weeks later...

Current FTS 11-30-09

10ih2k3.jpg

Moved Yumas out... too big. Added pink/purple ric. Had to prune macros way back.

Mr. Biggles (mandarin) quite happy. Frozen mysis 2 x day.

Moved cloves, odd zoas and mohawks to QT for Mg treatment of bryopsis.... So far so good, but wanted to play it safe and not risk nuking the entire tank.

• 2 weeks later...

4qr8zl.jpg

Added clove rock, and zoas back in. Mohawks still in QT. FWIW Mg dosing coupled with low light (18w pc over a 5.5g) got rid of my bryopsis issues in less than 3 weeks, with no ill effects. Mohawks will be reintroduced to the tank tomorrow hopefully.

Archived