• Sea Chem Reef Salt
    • DD H2O
    • Oceanic
    • Morton's Table Salt

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 6

Ultimately, your salt mix won't determine how well your SPS do. It may help a little, but even IO can give you good SPS growth and color with the right husbandry and dosing. And you'll have to dose no matter what salt you use if you want a lot of SPS.

So go with what you're comfortable paying for and can get easily locally and call it a day.

I don't know if this has been said but once you pick a salt brand stick with it, nothing more stressful than switching salt brands.

What salt are you using?

Red Sea Coral Pro...

I have read opinions that the salt I use sucks...but then again, for every rave review you will find someone who will blame all of their tank's woes on a product you're considering.

To this point, I've been able to avoid catastophe...so, I'll just stick to what I've been using.

Upgrade your tank!

Blaspheamy !

I don't know if this has been said but once you pick a salt brand stick with it, nothing more stressful than switching salt brands.

And that is not all true. quit confusing the op . :lol:

Deleted User 6
And that is not all true. quit confusing the op . :lol:

this. you can slowly switch over without stressing. on the contrary, most people who switched to DD H2O noticed healthier corals with the switch in the thread.

I know its possible, I am just saying its easier and less chance of stressing everything out. It can be done, I have done it twice :)

I still say instant ocean it's been around longer than MOST of us have been alive. My LFS uses reef crystals and has SPS in his 600 half the size of my body. 50% salt 50% know how.

Recently switched from DD H2Ocean to the new Brightwell NeoMarine and haven't noticed any major changes or differences in my SPS. Will either stick with NeoMarine or go back to DD. Was just too lazy and couldn't wait to have the DD shipped this go around.

Yeah, the whole switching salts and stressing things may be a tad drastic unless you're switching weekly. We're not exactly keeping "natural" reefs are we (mixing fish and coral from around the world, actinic lighting, etc)? :)

I like neither of your choices. I went Instant ocean for my first brand (cheap). never mixed right and left sand and other things on the bottom of mix bucket.

Asked LFS what they used, switched to Tropic marine. Low low calcium and more expensive than my next choice. Oceanic! and have been happy with it since then. I have 2 6 gallon pals of it as we speak! (reduces shipping cost if I order 2 at a time)

But... You can never pick a salt without trying it. I'd like to try DD H2O but I have 400 gallons of salt mix still left.

Deleted User 6
Recently switched from DD H2Ocean to the new Brightwell NeoMarine and haven't noticed any major changes or differences in my SPS. Will either stick with NeoMarine or go back to DD.

Good to know about Brightwell. I heard good things about it and had thought it might be worth taking a look at.

I added the vote for Tropic Marin. :) I've used it for all my previous tanks (though I'm trying out reef crystals right now) and I really liked the results.

I don't know much about Seachem salt, so maybe I shouldn't have voted.

ah nuts. I change my vote from Seachem salt to Oceanic!

-1 Seachem

+1 Oceanic

Too late, you're stuck!

...actually, I will make the vote for you...I never voted.

Rock...Paper...Scissors?

Lizard...Spock...

I use Instant Ocean because it was all the pet store I bought my original stuff from carried. I would have chosen H2Ocean Pro, had it been available (and I can have it shipped to me for the same price as this bucket cost in a store). I've found the Instant Ocean to mix up around 11 kH, 380 Ca, 1100 Mg... higher alk, lower Ca, and much lower Mg than I aim for, and from what I've read the H2Ocean Pro would mix much closer to my preferred levels.

Archived