Cultivated Reef

What Salt Do You Use?

ReefYourself

ReefYourself

Hey everyone,

Was just curious to see the salts being used for reefs.

I currently use MARINE ENVIRONMENT

No complaints at all!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey everyone,

Was just curious to see the salts being used for reefs.

I currently use MARINE ENVIRONMENT

No complaints at all!

List of salts used before:

Instant Ocean

Reef Crystals

Red Sea

Red Sea Coral Pro

I used the love the Red Sea products ... until I tried the RS Coral Pro ... stuff just didn't look the same after that.

Before going to college I had multiple tanks ... and used IO and RC on a couple of them ... and am using it now on my 120G until today when I try the new Brightwell Aquatics NEO Marine salt. Just keep hearing and reading great things about it ... so I thought I would give it a try.

Deleted User 6

DD H2O Pro

I was pissed at it for a while because the levels sucked...but then I realized my refractometer was off and my salinity was way low. After that, it's been good.

I have used Ocean Pure, Red Sea, Instand Ocean and Oceanic. I use Oceanic now or mix it with Instant Ocean for a better calcium/alk balance.

Militant Jurist

I use IO. My LFS apparently buys in massive bulk quantities and then repackages it. I'm able to get a good sized bag of it for $9.99 and that will probably last me a year.

I have used many types of salt. I have without a doubt had the best results with TM.

That being said, I have never had two batches of salt from any manufacturer that tested out the same as far as alk, ca, mg, ect. go.

I've used TM, IO, Seachem and now RC and I haven't seen any great difference in my readings in terms of pH, Ca and Mg. I have not seen the perfect salt, or maybe I should just get rid of my test kits for new ones :D

BLoCkCliMbeR
I have used Ocean Pure, Red Sea, Instand Ocean and Oceanic. I use Oceanic now or mix it with Instant Ocean for a better calcium/alk balance.

i did this for a while....im stuck with RC till i use it up..

I have used marine environment and seachem. The seachem is handy because it comes in a big bucket. The best salt available in my opinion is Marine Environment though.

I have used oceanic and now use marine environment. I like the ME except for the gimmick second part so I'll probably go with Bio-Sea next time.

I have used oceanic and now use marine environment. I like the ME except for the gimmick second part so I'll probably go with Bio-Sea next time.

Whats so gimmick about the second part? You must not keep a nutrient stripping system.

I use M.E. obviously.

I've used I/O, Tropic Marin, Red-Sea Coral Pro, and most recently CoralLife. I just finished the last of the CoralLife and am ready to crack open a bucket of D-D H20 brand salt. I hear it's the "king" of salts right now, lol! I've really curious about Tunze salt... Oh, and FWIW I started my 30g tank back up 3 weeks ago, and started it using pretty much a 3rd each of CoralLife, Red-Sea Coral Pro and I/O. 3 weeks later with NO w/c yet, everything is good!! I've never personally noticed a differance in my tanks between salts used, just higher Ca readings is all, but nothing else.

I've read their reasoning behind the second bottle and have done a couple tests and have decided its marketing BS. You are correct though none of my tanks need any kind of dosing etc yet.

Word to the wise:

Pick a salt and stick with it. There are very few things more stressful to a tank than continually changing salt mixes.

Word to the wise:

Pick a salt and stick with it. There are very few things more stressful to a tank than continually changing salt mixes.

I'll stress your tank and change your salt woman.

Word to the wise:

+1,000!

I agree that it is a bad thing but you must have poor imaginations if you can only think of a few things more stressful to a tank than changing salt :)

Putting complete tank in a cardboard box and UPSing it to yourself with a "this side up" sticker for no reason would be up there but salt changing is in fact near the bottom.

I agree that it is a bad thing but you must have poor imaginations if you can only think of a few things more stressful to a tank than changing salt :)

Putting complete tank in a cardboard box and UPSing it to yourself with a "this side up" sticker for no reason would be up there but salt changing is in fact near the bottom.

You obviously have never kept SPS.

As for the salt I use, NSW. No problems at all, switched to DD for awhile then saw how much it differed from batch to batch and decided NSW was a cheaper and more consistant option, I do however use filtered NSW not straight NSW with all the nasty crap in it. I use to get it filtered for free from a turtle rescue but they moved and no longer let the public get water, so I get the water from there but I have to ay $0.50 a gal at the LFS since they service their tanks and get free NSW from them.

Archived