Innovative Marine Aquariums

jz's 12" Cowrie Kingdom

lajz9

Long as you aren't nuking the tank and you have a topoff setup the 70W MH should be fine, and yeah its about overkill for anything, but hey atleast you won't have to worry about not having enough light huh? Acans can be SUPER pricey but they are gorgeous :) good luck with whatever you decide, it looks like you are off to a great start.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd just run the 20K bulb on the viper with a shorter light cycle, but that's just me. The viper has a pretty long arm so you can have the actual bulb pretty far from the tank. The people running viper's shouldn't have any problems. Except maybe with evap B)

Yeah, the 70w will definitely be overkill for this tank but once the contest is over I plan on moving everything over to a 10g or so.

I can usually find acans around here for $15-$20/head so it's not too bad and they grow like mad so they should help fill the tank out nicely.

Ordered 20 lbs. of rock from Sea Life Inc today to be delivered on Friday! SUPER STOKED! Wanted to make sure I had a good selection to choose from for this tank and wanted some extra to add to my 40g.

I'd just run the 20K bulb on the viper with a shorter light cycle, but that's just me. The viper has a pretty long arm so you can have the actual bulb pretty far from the tank. The people running viper's shouldn't have any problems. Except maybe with evap B)

Thanks God for RO Units and ATO's

Ordered a CUC from reefcleaners tonight for this tank and my 40g.

The following will be added to this tank:

2 Virgin Nerites ($2.00 total / $1 each)

Ordered a CUC from reefcleaners tonight for this tank and my 40g.

The following will be added to this tank:

2 Virgin Nerites ($2.00 total / $1 each)

2 Zig Zag Periwinkles ($.40 total / $.20 each)

2 Dwarf Cerith ($.46 total / $.23 each)

How much was shipping? If you don;t mind me asking.

I have the Azoo Neo light, I'm currently using it over an AC30 for Chaeto on my 2.5 gallon tank. Whether it's working of if the Chaeto is growing from the Power Compacts I don't know (on at same time). I can take a picture of just it running after work today if you'd like.

How much was shipping? If you don;t mind me asking.

$7.50 - 2 day

I have the Azoo Neo light, I'm currently using it over an AC30 for Chaeto on my 2.5 gallon tank. Whether it's working of if the Chaeto is growing from the Power Compacts I don't know (on at same time). I can take a picture of just it running after work today if you'd like.

That would be awesome. Thanks!

Here's 3 picts of the Azoo on my 2.5.

030-1.jpg

031.jpg

029-2.jpg

Thing to note: The Azoo's clamp is incredibly small, I couldn't clamp it to the 2.5 gallon as the black trim was to thick. I have it clamped to a piece of plywood & the plywood is leaning against the back of the tank.

Yeah there's no blue to it at all. Personally I wouldn't buy it again. For a small fuge I'm going w/ a Nano Glow submersible 4 led thing, it's pretty darn bright and has a magnet on inside & outside of tank, it looks pretty nice. I'd also consider umm Stevie T or whoevers submersible light since I've heard good things about it.

Going to pick up my 20lbs of Sealife Inc rock in about an hour from FedEx. Super stoked! Pics to come later!

Breaking in the skimmer in the 40g sump as well, finally starting to produce some nastiness. Maybe I should consider running a skimmer in there full time? hmmmmm

Aah, thanks. It's goin in a big tub w/ heater, powerhead and light for now.

Sealife rocks..... rock (lol), but be prepared for a big algae bloom.

is that a big mushroom on the bottom right rock? I'm very interested in finding out what kind of cool little critters you end up finding. Did you do a freshwater dip or anything to shake off crabs and such?

is that a big mushroom on the bottom right rock? I'm very interested in finding out what kind of cool little critters you end up finding. Did you do a freshwater dip or anything to shake off crabs and such?

It's actually a huge piece of sponge. I decided not to do any dips on this rock, however, I did poke and prod at every single little hole in every single rock to make sure there were no bad hitchers and I only came across 2 little crabs. The rock is beautiful though, at least 4 different kinds of macros, lots of sponge and TONS of different coralline colors. Hopefully most of it lives!

I would suggest a hyper saline dip. Mix up some water with an Sg of about 1.031-1.032. Use some gloves and hole the rock in the water for a minute or so up off the bottom of the container the water is in. The hyper saline water will drive critters out of their holes and drop them to the bottom of the container. Then you can pick and choose which ones you want to keep.

I would suggest a hyper saline dip. Mix up some water with an Sg of about 1.031-1.032. Use some gloves and hole the rock in the water for a minute or so up off the bottom of the container the water is in. The hyper saline water will drive critters out of their holes and drop them to the bottom of the container. Then you can pick and choose which ones you want to keep.

Interesting, I'm going to do that right now. Thanks!

Thanks God for RO Units and ATO's

I think a couple of us are routing a piece of acrylic for a flush lid on the top of the tank. Scooternerd already finished his. That may be something that could help big time on keeping your parameters and salinity stable with that huge honkin light. ;)

I think a couple of us are routing a piece of acrylic for a flush lid on the top of the tank. Scooternerd already finished his. That may be something that could help big time on keeping your parameters and salinity stable with that huge honkin light. ;)

I think I've gotta go topless just to keep her cool, ya know? Still trying to figure out what I'm gonna do for an ATO but it's obviously a must in this case.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived