Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bob21115's winning Unofficial nano-reef 12" cube contest tank

bob21115

In what way don't you like the coral colors under the LED?

Don't you think 150w MH would be overkill over this tank?

I have some cool Mushrooms (I'm a fan of unique mushrooms) but I'm not sure how many extra's I have.

I can always take a look when I get home tomorrow.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check it out.

Pistols have killed many a peppermint in my tanks over the years. I have actually seen two blown to pieces.

From Live aquaria "The Tiger Pistol Shrimp may also be called Symbiosis Shrimp and Snapping Shrimp. The body is tan with rust colored broken stripes running across the back. These beneficial shrimp will constantly move gravel making them excellent sand stirrers in the reef aquarium, as well as scavenging any uneaten food.

The sound it makes comes from an appendage on the pincher which moves when the pincher is opened or closed and water is ejected. The Pistol Shrimp can be easily confused with Mantis Shrimp if judged by sound only. Unlike the Mantis Shrimp, it is not harmful and will not pose any threat in the tank, with the possible exception of very small shrimp. "

In what way don't you like the coral colors under the LED?

Don't you think 150w MH would be overkill over this tank?

I have some cool Mushrooms (I'm a fan of unique mushrooms) but I'm not sure how many extra's I have.

I can always take a look when I get home tomorrow.

The Purple Death's are brown and the orange Yuma is changing color.

PD's under LED

pdled.jpg

Mother colony under 400 W 20K XM's

pd400.jpg

Here is a new FTS after I did some aquscapping last night.

12inchfts11_30a_2009.jpg

Some random shots of the tank this afternoon.

12inchlivestock38.jpg

12inchlivestock39.jpg

Doc show me some cool Shrooms your willing to part with and we can trade these

Guys.

12inchlivestock40.jpg

I'm sure the Pistol Shrimp is sick of building new homes.

12inchlivestock41.jpg

12inchlivestock42.jpg

None of my pistols ever tired of fudging up my landscape, hiding my frags, and burying my corals. I hate pistols in nanos with a passion. I do have some cool shrooms, but nothing ultra rare.

• 4 weeks later...

Not much has changed. Got a picture of the 2 plain boring mushrooms I added.

My Orange yuma spit out 3 babies and released from the rock it was on. Thats why it back in the cup with a new piece of rubble to attache to.

This weeks FTS

12inchfts12_28_2009.jpg

The Rock with 3 baby orange yuma's Yes doc when they are ready you are first inline.

12inchlivestock46.jpg

Spotted Shrrom

12inchlivestock45.jpg

Stripped Shroom

12inchlivestock44.jpg

animalmaster6

Hi Bob,

Tank looks good! Other contestants better wach out!

The Wheeler's WHatchman Goby looks awesome! I almost got one.

It's going to be tough to decided between who to vote for...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I added a 5 head Hammer that broke off a colony in my 220.

12inchlivestock57.jpg

I also found this in the back of the tank while cleaning filter media. Its about 3/4" to 1" long.

12inchlivestock58.jpg

I'm going to replace my FTS when I get home. The light just turned on and the Yuma look like crap. I'll try to get a picture of the baby orange Yuma's when I get back home also.

• 2 weeks later...

My dumb A*s Pistol Shrimp completely rearrange the front of my tank.

He took the rock with my big Purple and green Yuma and buried it in the tank some place. I took all the rock out of the front of the tank and it wasn't found anywhere.

Luckily I still have one of the babies in the tank.

Also I got a great shot of the 3 baby orange Yuma's. They are really coloring up nicely.

12inchlivestock62.jpg

Click picture for a larger picture

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some random shots of the tank. Click on them for a larger size they look even better bigger.

12inchlivestock64.jpg

12inchlivestock65.jpg

12inchlivestock66.jpg

12inchlivestock67.jpg

12inchlivestock63.jpg

Current Tank Picture Taken 3/15/10

12inchfts3_15_2010.jpg

Click FTS for a larger picture

Rohdactis Mushroom

12inchlivestock51.jpg

Click Image for a larger picture

Orange Ricordia Yuma

12inchlivestock67.jpg

Click image for a larger picture

• 4 weeks later...

FTS Taken 4/8/10

12inchfts4_08_2010.jpg

The Goby and Yellow Colony Polyps

12inchlivestock71.jpg

Micro Star Polyps

12inchlivestock72.jpg

Micro Star Polyps

12inchlivestock73.jpg

Tank is absolutely amazing, and great photos too. Very jealous of not only your equipment, but how well you executed using them. Great job!

Thanks, and thats so funny because Im stealing your return and overflow design to replace this acrylic tank with a ADA tank soon.....

Thanks, and thats so funny because Im stealing your return and overflow design to replace this acrylic tank with a ADA tank soon.....

LOL well PLEASE run through your design with me before going ahead and doing it, as I wish I had done mine a completely different way then. But that's really exciting, how soon is this coming into fruition?

LOL well PLEASE run through your design with me before going ahead and doing it, as I wish I had done mine a completely different way then. But that's really exciting, how soon is this coming into fruition?

I just took down my 240 L tank and the 75 under it. I need to re-setup 2 tanks before I change out this tank....

I have the stand for the 2 new tanks built, but the tanks need to be built.

Then I need to figure out if the tank is staying at the house or going to my office.

So basically not any time soon....

Your ADA tank was the inspiration for this whole thing....

I started thinking I wanted to replace this tank with 2 small ADA's side by side. Then i figured if I was paying for 2 small ADA tanks I could get one large 120 ADA. Then since the cost was so high on the large ADA I could get a Larger Starphire Rimless tank custom built.

I'm going to have a 48x24x24 rimless built soon. That will go on the top of the stand I built. The stand is very similar to the stand I built for the tank in the thread. Oak with a marble top and a facade that slides out to gain access to under the stand. Pictures soon

Since I took down the "cat's tank" this stand will have a tank under it for the cats also. I built the stand to support a 60 High (36x18x22) but that tank is leaking and I'm waiting for a quote for the replacement. Since I need a new tank built I'm getting a quote for a 100 wide (36x30x22).

I'll take a picture of the stand soon....

Here is my second stand using Scott Morell plans.

I love the Facade because not matter how hard I try I cant make doors.

Just like my last stand, I've placed a piece of Marble on the top. I will be place a 48Lx24Wx24H rimless glass tank on the top. This will allow for a 4" border of marble around the tank.

The bottom tank is a 100 Wide 36Lx30Wx22H with built in over flow.

I'll be running 6 T-5's on the bottom tank, just need 1 more ballast and the bulbs.

new_stand1.jpg

I had some blue spray paint left over. Not 100% satisfied with the paint job but its only painted to protect the wood.

new_stand3.jpg

fishdaddy0831
I'm buying a DA Reef Keeper Elite for my larger system. I'll be using it on my 12" tank during the contest.

I hope to use the network function to update my signature with the tank parameters.

Plans for the Stand and Canopy

Canopy

No canopy plans going topless the Eco-Lamps LED is to sweet looking to hide.

KR91-14FB110V.jpg?519560393

Stand

I'd like to do a 1x2 frame and cover with a fake facade. Like the picture below. I'll be able to remove the facade to work on the Reef Keeper. I don't plan on putting in a door since the facade will slide off. I'll mount the RKE in the front of the facade.

I want to find a piece of Marble to place on top of the stand and the tank on top of it.

Facade_Stand_1.JPG

I've alway done the standard stands here are some of my stands:

60tvstand.jpg

30060fullside.jpg

220fts.jpg

bubblewallfullview.jpg

30viv67.jpg

:o Whats your electric bill run?

Archived