Cultivated Reef

Can i add a clam in my tank?

Bretthediver22

Bretthediver22

I was wondering if i could add a clam in my 29 Gallon oceanic bio cube??? My dad says my lights aren't good enough.

P.S. it would be a small clam LoL

I assume you mean a tridacna clam (the colorful ones, not a cleaner clam for example).

Do you have the stock lights on the biocube? If so then no. Clams need close to expert care and intense lighting.

your dad is right. If i'm not mistaking the small ones need more light. Clam+PC lighting=Generally no. You also have to factor in the Calcium and stuff, you have to maintain it for the clam to do well.

TheUnfocusedOne
Clams need close to expert care and intense lighting.

i dont think so

i personally am not very regimental about water changes and dont do any dosing any my maxima in my 12g has more than doubled, almost tripled in size in about a year

i thinnk its more about stability, lights and food than experince

Ya I know. I couldn't think of the right word for it, but someone who takes care of their tanks and is top of them all the time, like you. Sorry if what I said sounded rude lol

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on the clam species, placement (i.e. croceas live in very shallow areas in natural reefs). PCs are possible if the clam is very close to the top of the tank, but a 29 gallon tank sounds too deep.

T5HO minimum ->metal halide is better though.

not true

Sigh... So much misunderstanding...

Thank you Lak. You beat me to the punch. You can do it but with caution and with the clam all the way in the top 10% of your tank but you still run the risk of loosing it. Frankly upgrade your lighting to T5 or MH then think about a clam plus all the neat corals you can get that you can't have now.

• 2 weeks later...
ReefYourself
Sigh... So much misunderstanding...

Thank you Lak. You beat me to the punch. You can do it but with caution and with the clam all the way in the top 10% of your tank but you still run the risk of loosing it. Frankly upgrade your lighting to T5 or MH then think about a clam plus all the neat corals you can get that you can't have now.

Yeah just think about all the extra money you can spend!!!! :) :) Reef 4 LIFE!!!!

i have one in my bio cube 29 and its only has stock light 2x 36 watt pcs and its doin great

I was wondering if i could add a clam in my 29 Gallon oceanic bio cube??? My dad says my lights aren't good enough.

P.S. it would be a small clam LoL

Archived