ReefCleaners.org

Telling differences between clams. . .

fishboy87

Well, my LFS finally got some clams in and on the glass of the tank says "squamosa/derasa/crocea OR maxima" (I forget). I've always wanted a clam and after finally getting a 150w 10K MH for my AP12, I think I can finally get one. Being that it's an AP12, my shopping list can only consist of a maxima or crocea as I'm sure you know. My problem is by how the clams on display are not separated clearly by their species. I want to make sure that I'm getting the proper clam. They are all about 2.5". So what I ask from you are of what the differences are between the different species of clams. The squamosa and maxima seem to be very similar and because the LFS has both, I just want to make sure.

Thanks in advance! :)

Well I got the clam today and it's already fully open and feeding it seemed to help. It's 2.5" long and about 1.5-1.75" wide. When I went to my LFS, I looked at the clam selection and I thought the biggest, best-looking one was a squamosa based on the more complex tentacles over the intake siphon. One of the most knowledgeable guys there came over to assist me and told me that he owns both species and it's easy for him to tell the difference. I pointed to the one I liked and asked if it was a squamosa or a maxima, he told me it was maxima (the squamosa was the more expensive so I'm curious if he was trying to help me with the better deal). It seems to be very healthy though. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow as the lights just went off. Even if it is a squamosa, I'll probably just keep it, play dumb, and see if I can trade it in once it grows out for 2 maximas :)

Also, how long does it take for the 'foot' to take hold of the rock?

depends on lighting, placement in the tank, and overall happiness of the clam.......several hours to a week or so sometimes......if a clam does not like where he is in the tank he will move by himself so just be aware of that

He's on the sand right now and the light is about 4-5" above the water with a small, white screen. I have him touching the front-most rock in the tank and his color already seems to show more blue than originally. I saw a bristle worm right near it and I really hope it won't kill the clam. I've heard that alot of people say bristle worms are the cause of death for most clams. . .is this right or is just the bristle worm scavenging the leftovers of an already dead clam. I couldn't manage to get a picture today because my camera battery wasn't charged but it is charging right now so I'll get a pic tomorrow morning.

Also, what is the avg. growth rate for a healthy squamosa clam? I'd just want to get a general idea of how long I can hold on to it as it's already grown on me. :)

He's on the sand right now and the light is about 4-5" above the water with a small, white screen. I have him touching the front-most rock in the tank and his color already seems to show more blue than originally. I saw a bristle worm right near it and I really hope it won't kill the clam. I've heard that alot of people say bristle worms are the cause of death for most clams. . .is this right or is just the bristle worm scavenging the leftovers of an already dead clam. I couldn't manage to get a picture today because my camera battery wasn't charged but it is charging right now so I'll get a pic tomorrow morning.

Also, what is the avg. growth rate for a healthy squamosa clam? I'd just want to get a general idea of how long I can hold on to it as it's already grown on me. :)

What you thought was a squasoma was most likely a crocea, you must've picked up a maxima, hence blue, and maxima. They need at least a 14k metal halide to thrive and must be fed phyto at least every couple of weeks. Do not spot feed as it will suffocate them. They need at least 350 ppm of calcium to grow.

Well here are some pics for some ID. . .squamosa or maxima?

clam1.jpg

clam2sideview.jpg

clam3sideview2.jpg

FTS.jpg

Edit: due to the fact it doesn't clearly show it, the tentacles over the clam's intake do branch which is the key trait (to me at least)

Yep.. I think the multiple side scutes and the complex tentacles on the intake are what point the way to it being a Squamosa.

thanks but I think I'm actually going to return it to the LFS for a refund. I'd really prefer a maxima so refund $ would help. I'll probably wait for a good one on the liveaquaria diver's den. If anyone sees one there, I'd really appreciate it if they could post me a link. Thanks a lot

thanks but I think I'm actually going to return it to the LFS for a refund. I'd really prefer a maxima so refund $ would help. I'll probably wait for a good one on the liveaquaria diver's den. If anyone sees one there, I'd really appreciate it if they could post me a link. Thanks a lot

Why wouldnt you keep this clam? It looks great. Just move on and get a maxima when you are ready.

My store is really strict about credit. Once it is beyond the 14 day guaruntee, they will only take it back as a donation. They only give store credit (no full refunds). They are getting a shipment in today and they said they'd get a nice maxima for me as an apology for the false ID. Don't get me wrong, I did like that squamosa but I want something I can hold on to for as long as possble. I just didn't want to run the risk of not being able to sell the squamosa by the time it got too big.

So I returned the squamosa (as I'm sure you all could have assumed). I waited until the next Thursday after ordering a maxima as that is when my LFS gets their shipment in. They apologized for the false ID and said they would get me a 'super colored blue maxima' which is the most colorful maxima they can get. They would take the money from the store credit (obviously) to pay for the maxima.

So I came in today which is the day they get all of their fish and plants and whatnot. The clam was still in the bag when I got there. It was labeled on the bag as the super-colored maxima so I found an employee (the guy who took the first clam back) who had no problem giving it to us straight from the bag like that. There were a ton of bags floating because they are about to do a giant 40% off sale (which I will see ;) ). I also picked up some aptasia-x and some phytoplex. I had a 40% off coupon and a couple of other little discounts. The grand total for all of that turned into $3.00(no that is not a typo)! The clam opened for the short time right before the lights went off and the color was purple lips with blue stripes. It was definitely a maxima. It was 1.25" so I'm hoping it will pull through. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow or saturday.

Well it's Saturday and I have pictures so I assume that would mean I have to post them ;)

clam under actinics

maxima1.jpg?t=1250373194

maxima2.jpg?t=1250373221

maxima3.jpg?t=1250373244

under halide (doesn't show off color well at all)

maxima4.jpg?t=1250373265

others (no reason really)

FTS-1.jpg?t=1250373299

yashagoby1.jpg?t=1250373328

zoanthids1.jpg?t=1250373351

Comments, pics, critiques welcome :)

Thanks! It's doing fine. There was an aptasia on the shell but it should be dead now. Color still seems good. I assume that once it gets bigger, it should look like this <<<<<http://www.colorfulcoral.com/cimgs/thumb_Maxima_Clam_3.jpg>>>>>

except with a couple more blue stripes. What's annoying is that my pistol shrimp keeps pushing sand on top of it. It is attached to that rock it is right in front of in the picture so I can't move it. I continually have to push sand out of the way to make sure that the clam doesn't get buried. <_<

Every once in a while I plan to post some update pics so I can monitor growth.

Archived