Top Shelf Aquatics

New Maxima Q'

Clownshoes

Just got my maxima from live aquaria and I have a question about its foot. Theres 2 rather large pieces of substrate attached to the coral preventing it from sitting upright on a rock. I understand you can cut the strands on them but the problem is one of the pieces is flat and it is kind of sucked up into the hole underneath it. Can i pull it out and cut it?

NO! leave them alone. You run the risk of damaging the foot. I got a clam from LA a month or so back and mine came on the same little rocks. You can place the clam in the sand and in a day or two it will let go of the rocks and dig around in the sand. THen you can pick him up and place him where you want. Or you can use some rocks to prop it up on the rocks you want it on and he'll let go and move.

My maxima, hates rock and loves the sand. I even put him on some LR rubble on the sand and he hopped off it and into a soft sandy spot. It hasn't extend any threads from its gland to latch onto anything, and is perfectly happy not doing so.

So, your clam will do what it wants to do... leave it be and it'll be happy.

Thanks, I was just concerned because that piece is like a dagger sticking into the hole its foot comes out of. Ill just leave him in the sand then for now till he becomes acclimatized fully.

Archived